Another game???

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

Another game???

#1 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

Alright, i've been ripping hair out on both Star Trek: Espada, AND, Crossover. I've been looking back on previous projects, those which were scrapped before I began, those which sit unfinished, and those which were left in a "CHOOSE ME!" pile. However it is clear im going to need super-dedicated artists, who love whatever it is they are doing.

I'm taking a turn towards an older Inuyasha game called "Secret Of The Cursed Mask", which is adding an extra character, who is played by the protaganist (SP?) and makes the story turn in a different direction

The story is a bit of an Alternate Universe sort of turn, while still mostly staying true to the Avatar series, and adding in "episodes" which are purely fiction of fiction. @_@

Here is how the storyline works...

It's now season two, you and your friends have decided to go to an Earth Rumble 6 and see if a Blind Kid can really kick that much butt. When you get there, You become seperated from your friends and get dragged into the insanity of the new group, and become they're newest member with Toph. However, you quickly learn that you wern't born an Earth Bender, but a Waterbender (this plays into the storyline), Katara becomes either an AWESOME teacher and friend, or a Lethal enemy.

There are MULTIPLE branches, with you doing many different things, from joining Azula and attempting to kill the Avatar, helping the Avatar defeat the firelord, or (if you really screw up), avenging the death of the ENTIRE GROUP because of your foul-ups.

The game plays out like a series, each chapter effecting the next, and one wrong move could place the entire world in Jepordy (SP?)

Now this is where YOU the community, come in. I can MOSTLY code this, however the more complex work I need a bit of help on, and I need artists. (And if we really wanna get into this Voice Over Artists) This is a joint-project with Neoseeker. ^^

So are there any takers?
in a perfect world those who can do it teach others how to do it. but were not in a perfect world. So were primarily stuck with teachers who don't kno jack.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Visual Novel forums

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rekzs0.png

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

Re: Another game???

#2 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

I just realized this is the wrong section. -_-' stupid me. MOVED IT
in a perfect world those who can do it teach others how to do it. but were not in a perfect world. So were primarily stuck with teachers who don't kno jack.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#3 Post by sake-bento »

Well, I'm a huge Avatar fan, so this sounds really cool to me. However, it also sounds like it will be an immense amount of work. There are plenty of Avatar artists on dA if you're looking to scout or collab with someone. As for voice overs, I'd wait until you're near to the end before looking for something like that. VAs tend to drop off the face of the planet if you're not watching them, so unless you have the entire script ready now, you should hold off on searching for any.

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#4 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

Okay, so first write the game script itself then, get the artists?

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Cybeat »

Is that how you make do it? I draw first, then write.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#6 Post by bloodywyvern »

Well if your getting outside help for drawing, it's generally a good idea to have a decent chunk of the writing done to at least show them your working :P If it's a large project maybe finishing it ALL is impractical for development time.
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

I'd suggest that you should at least have an outline done before recruiting artists, if only so that you and the artists know where the story should be going.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#8 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

We have a pretty good idea of how it's going to be done, and coding is already underway. Thats why I'm looking for artists and maybe someone to help me with the battle engine. Anyways, So far I have 2 Character artists but with over 70 character pics needed...It's going to be a lot more...Once I have a solid Dev team going I plan to open my own forums board for the Development, however I'll of course put updates here. Also, I realized I have posted the recruiting poster in the 'question' section of this fourm. My bad... ^^; If your interested in signing up or anything else. Post here

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3376

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#9 Post by chronoluminaire »

Lee_Hitsugaya wrote:Anyways, So far I have 2 Character artists but with over 70 character pics needed...It's going to be a lot more...
Hmm. I'm not convinced of this.
The more character artists you have for a game, the more disjointed the art style's going to look. It's distinctly unsatisfying having just two characters drawn in different art styles on screen at the same time - even if one of those art styles is just "thicker lines due to being resized a different amount", even drawn by the same artist, as I found with Star Story Saga Renaissance.

If your character artists are very skilled at drawing within someone else's style, then maybe it could work. But generally, the kind of artists who'll sign up for games like this will be more interested in drawing in their own style; and although any one of those styles might look great on its own, put them next to each other and it'll look really jarring.

I had perhaps 70 character images for Elven Relations. But all that really is is five main characters, each with two outfits and 4-8 expressions, plus a few extras with just one or two expressions. The different outfits for each character have identical pose, so SunKitten only had to do one picture of Asilana for all her 20+ sprites; then the two (OK, three in Asilana's case) outfits within that pose; and then independently the six or so facial expressions, which could then be combined.

It would make no sense at all to try to split up the Asilana sprites between multiple artists. I could theoretically have had different artists drawing the different characters, but I'd have hated it, because it would have meant I'd never be able to have two characters by different artists on screen together at the same time.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!