DSG - ReDraw [BxB, GxB, Drama, School, Mystic, Free, COMPLETE!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

DSG - ReDraw [BxB, GxB, Drama, School, Mystic, Free, COMPLETE!]

#1 Post by illuminate001 »

SOULSOFT ELECTRONIC ARTS is happy to announce that the revamp of the original DSG is finally out and available for free on the Soulsoft Electronic Arts Itch page! Please join us once more, in the sunset dappled corridors of Dream Savior Gakuen...this time ReDrawn.

A new imagining through dusting off of a decades-old VN: Dream Savior Gakuen ~ ReDraw

Thank you to all our supporters who have not only given encouragement but also helped spread the word and provided invaluable feedback. I learned a great deal from this revamp. I finally figured out how to customize the UI for the Preferences and the Save/Load Screens. (Something I was unable to achieve in LMA) as well as learning Live2D. I'm so happy right now, I hope it doesn't sound conceited to say that in this moment I feel very accomplished! ^_^

*NOTE: On first run of the .exe, my AVG needed a few seconds to do a preliminary scan to make sure it was threat free. The scan will pass, and the game will resume as normal. Enjoy!

Last edited by illuminate001 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 12 times in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran

Re: Dream Savior Gakuen - ReDraw [BxB, GxB, Drama, School, WIP]

#2 Post by illuminate001 »

RESERVED FOR FUTURE UPDATES :P
ImageImage
ImageImage

PMscenarios
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo
Projects: In Blood, Xenopathy
Tumblr: pmscenarios
itch: pmscenarios

#3 Post by PMscenarios »

Ooh, this seems really cool. I really liked Let's meat Adam, but never played the original DSG though I had been considering it, so this is really intriguing!

- Which character are you drawn to most and why?

Never feel like I have a good answer to these type of questions, but I guess Polar is interesting since he doesn't read as a trad. jock.

- This is still a WIP, so what kind of previews are you wanting me to post?

I'd love to see more of the character animations, they really bring the characters to life - and more examples of the background redraws, it's really interesting to see the comparisons.

- Do you find slice-of-life VN's that center around school boring? What if I told you everything was not how it seems at DSG?

Yes, but I will play and really like transformative works.

I like the new UI, very clean.
ImageImageImage

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call
Projects: http://bobcgames.com
Tumblr: bobcgames
itch: bobcgames

#4 Post by bobconway »

Oo, this looks fun. I haven't played the original, but I like the direction the new art is going. I'm always a fan of realistic-looking-but-obviously-drawn backgrounds. The animated people look promising, and Keeves is cute and Polar is hot. So that's good.

Right now, probably Polar, but I find my favorite character depends a lot on what their personality is like during the game.

- Did you play the original DSG, and if so what are you hoping for out of DSG-ReDraw?
Haven't played the original.

Like PMScenarios, I like seeing side-by-side comparisions of characters, but I also like seeing the updated backgrounds and such. Art is always nice to see, and I also really enjoy seeing WIP art (or, in this case, updated art).

- Do you find slice-of-life VN's that center around school boring? What if I told you everything was not how it seems at DSG?
Depends on the game, but perhaps I've just been fortunate in that the few I've played have always been interesting. (I mean, I'm writing one myself. :P)

- Are there any features not mentioned that you would like me to consider for the final?
Not really... focus on making the base gameplay and assets great, because that's really the part that matters.

See my other games here or find me on Twitter

riverbluesbear
Regular
Projects: RTANMUSSB!

#5 Post by riverbluesbear »

Oh my gosh, I am so excited for this!!!! I found DSG by chance about a week before I saw the development for Let's Meat Adam, and I absolutely loved it! You have no idea how pumped I am for this!

My favorite character was always Marlain, who I just love so much, and his redraw is fantastic! (All of them are, by the way, but his and Sato's stand out the most) Polar is also very pretty and I am ready to give him a big smooch

- Did you play the original DSG, and if so what are you hoping for out of DSG-ReDraw?
Well, an aged up Jaja, certainly. If I remember correctly, he was thirteen(?) in the original, and we're like 18 or older, so I'm sincerely hoping his age is bumped up to be consensual, because his sprite is still quite baby-ish (not in a bad way, just a vaguely uncomfortable way lol)
I hope there are more CGs, this time around! I see you still have an ambiguous MC, which is fine, though I do prefer when the MC has a sprite, though that's just me, so the CGs might be a little difficult to navigate (if you have kissing ones or something), but I do look forward to them

Just more art all around! The new sprites are awesome, and the animations bring a lot of life to the game that the stagnant ones in the original DSG didn't have. And I love the background of the football field; it's just really cute to me, haha

Hmm, that would be hypocritical of me to think that, wouldn't it, haha. No, I love slice-of-life games and I think whether they have something special or not, they always bring a good something to the table. That being said, because DSG does have a lot more elements than just a standard slice-of-life game, it brings more of an incentive to play it, because people want to find out what this special something is, especially if they haven't played the original! I have, and I'm still excited to see all the twists and turns again, and to see the new stuff you've added!

- Are there any features not mentioned that you would like me to consider for the final?
Mmm, none that I can think of at the moment! I just want the game to happen, and to happen now!! (No pressure :3)

Can't wait to see more updates!

illuminate001
Veteran

#6 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey guys! Wow, thanks a bunch for the in-depth commentary! :) the original was so ancient I wasn't sure if anyone remembers it even or had interest. This makes me so glad. ^_^

@PMScenarios: LMA was a blast and I love my "2nd child" dearly lol, but naturally DSGR is very different from LMA. I think though if you liked movies like "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", you'll love DSGR! Polar seems to be quite popular already (as was the case with the original :P )

Despite all the work I'm putting into this, it's going to be free (as it's purely a labor of love <3) so although you don't like SliceOfLife/School give it a go...you have nothing to lose. Besides, like I mentioned earlier...the game appears to be 1 thing but is completely another.

@bobconway: Hey! It's good to see you again. :)
Yeah, the revamp is going well! I'm really feeling accomplished when I look at the new sprites I'm producing in comparison to what I had before. It's like looking at drawings I did from when I was a kid. I look back on them fondly but with a little...embarrassment. lol.

Polar is the guy I would go for although Keeves is my fav. Polar's route is beautiful and I highly recommend it. I think it's 2nd only to Keeves...who is the main character of DSG(R) but as I'm reworking this new one, Jaja seems to be giving him a run for his $$$.

@riverbluesbear: Aw I was hoping to hear from ya especially RBB as I remember you're one of the ppl's who inspired me to really make this revamp happen! Despite my leanings towards Bara-type men...I've always loved Marlain and his hidden vulnerable side. I really wanted to make the cast of DSGR diverse with very distinct personalities. And I found no matter what your "pref" was in types of guys...that everyone generally liked the entire cast and found something endearing about each one. Oh man the twists and turns...I can't wait for ppl to see how they are presented this time around. hehe. It's def not pure Slice-of-Life/School. Hows you're VN coming along btw!? I haven't seen updates in abit.

Jaja is still 13 in DSGR and so he does look really young but it will all make sense in the end. I promise. There is no underage romancing happening.

Also...thanks for the no-pressure thing...that REALLY helps...lol jk. :wink:

So I now have a better idea of the kind of previews I'll be putting up! Keep the ideas coming. I'll be gathering up some previews/promos to post up shortly but this was kinda a rush post as I'm heading to the gym. For now, I'll leave you with this photo I took of the WIP photoshop window on my screen. smh :lol: Cheers!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Moon20
Regular

#7 Post by Moon20 »

Which character are you drawn to most and why?
Kevees the most, since he it's very mysterious and handsome, I like Jaja to but i'm more drawn too Kevees.

Of course i played it, it's was my first VN and have become my fav VN. I'm hoping for longer story and more yaoi content.

art and more screenshot.

no I don't find it boring since I like slice of life VN around school very interesting.

not to be a perv or anything, but I really want some yaoi action, since I miss that in original DSG.

GhostGnome

#8 Post by GhostGnome »

Q: Which character are you drawn to most and why?
A: Polar, what can i say, i like men with muscles

Q: Did you play the original DSG, and if so what are you hoping for out of DSG-ReDraw?
A: The art was something stopped me from checking it out.

Q: This is still a WIP, so what kind of previews are you wanting me to post?
A: More art, screenshots and more side by side comparisons of characters.

Q: Are there any features not mentioned that you would like me to consider for the final?
A: maybe an 18+ version?, the "adult" scenes in Let's Meat Adam where so good that i would love to see more quality art of this type, i would even be willing to pay $5 for the extra work

illuminate001
Veteran

#9 Post by illuminate001 »

So my initial worry was, naturally, there's a sea of school/slice-of/life VN's out there and even in dev as we speak. How is DSGR going to stand out and aren't people sick of them? The thing I realize now is that it's not something to worry about. The whole highschool/college experiences I had are still so vivid to me and I can still relate to them even now, despite not having been in school for what feels like decades now!

I feel like that is the same for a lot of people ~ it's so odd how that works isn't it? :shock:

@Moon20: Hey there thank you for your comment! Like yourself, I find it so cool to hear that the original DSG was someone's very first VN! The story will be longer-ish if you count the new Jaja route. As for the "yaoi" content I'll address that in GhostGnome's reply.

@GhostGnome: So the original art needed alot of refinement in retrospect. Also I had always wished I had at least given them multiple expressions.

Also I went back and checked the original DSG thread and it seemed a lot of people were interested in an adult/18+ version. The thing is although the idea is interesting to me...I'm like 95% sure I'm not gonna go that route. :cry:

Not because I don't want to, but I don't think it fits the DSG feeling. Like the VN is very honest, nostalgic, bittersweet...which doesn't really lend itself to smutty action. Unfortunately. However don't fret, I haven't made up my mind completely yet about it.
ImageImage
ImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran

#10 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey guys,

Hope you're all having a great weekend! I finally got around to putting together a few more previews and hopefully, it's what you guys were looking for. :o

The first is another side-by-side comparison of the old art vs new. In this one, you'll see Marlain's old sprite (where I didn't know how foreshortening worked...) and the old Art Room Bg VS the updated ones. So far I'm really enjoying the process of this VN makeover! lol

The 2nd is a preview of 1 of Sato's animations. Of course, it won't loop or play this fast in the final. Enjoy and thank you all!

ImageImage
ImageImage

ParrotWatcher
Regular
Completed: Unearth your Gays
Projects: Lovecraft Academy
Tumblr: parrotwatcher
itch: parrotwatcher

#11 Post by ParrotWatcher »

Disclaimer: I haven't read DSG in a while, so I may be misremembering things.
illuminate001 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:04 pm Like the VN is very honest, nostalgic, bittersweet...which doesn't really lend itself to smutty action. Unfortunately.
I would say that there's nothing wrong with an honest, nostalgic, bittersweet story also having (tasteful) sex scenes, although I can't really see them having much of a place in DSG.
For one thing, I can only remember any kind of bedroom scene with Marlain, and while I suppose one could be fit in for Sato, I'm not sure it would work for the other characters, especially if Jaja is "romanceable" too, now.

One other point that I'd like to bring up is regarding Keeves's route (heavy spoilers; I mean, seriously don't look unless you've played it already):
The ending always felt like a bit of a let-down to me. I can see that it was trying to legitimise all the other routes, but instead, it felt like it was de-legitimising them, and left me unsure as to what the "real" route would have been. I mean, was the time spent at DSG really the absolute best time of the protagonist's life? There were no good times later with Marlain/Sato/Jaja now, I guess (especially Jaja, since any real romance would have to happen in the future)? I'm not saying the times were bad, necessarily, but none of the routes feel like the sort of good times you'd want to relive as your own personal heaven. It especially delegitimises Polar's route, since this is far more depressing than the others, and if we're both dead now (as I said, spoilers! if you're reading this it's your own fault), why can't we just get together as ghosts? Actually, why is he a ghost? Why isn't he reliving his own best times? Or is that actually what he's doing, and the protagonist is also now just a ghost, wandering around DSG, confusing future students? I get that this is probably too important a detail to change, but I just wanted to let you know my feelings on the matter.

Either way, good luck with the game. :)
Please check out my BL WiP, Lovecraft Academy!

illuminate001
Veteran

#12 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey ParrotWatcher!

Thanks for your comment! I dunno if you ever voiced your idea on the original thread but I'm glad you did now. I'll have to heavily use spoiler tags as well in this case. :P
There's a lot going on in your last comment but I'll try to address it as best I can! Apologies if I missed anything. So to me, although Keeves' route is the "True" route, I also consider it like this...if you haven't achieved it, then the whole death thing and being locked in a memory part of DSG is no longer the narrative truth. Meaning the "best time of your life" question you had is moot.

However, I don't think this means it has to downgrade the other guys' routes. I think that for some people, perhaps around the time they met or got to know someone was their happiest memory. For single people (like myself)...if I were to pass away tomorrow, my current best friend (and the Ex-fiance who got away)...sure the 1st few months we met was definitely magic and I can see myself wanting to remember/relive those days. Mind you, we are never told if the protagonist even lived a long/full life up till their death. :wink: Perhaps they died prematurely
ImageImage
ImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran

#13 Post by illuminate001 »

Happy Sunday all!

I changed the main post with some progress updates. For example, all of the sprites, animations and bg's are now 100% complete! Whew! It was a marathon but I had this drive of creative energy to push through all week. In fact I can safely say DSG-R is on it's way to being complete rather quickly.

Also, I'll share the 1st little bit of Fanart I got...this is from Qwertyrulz. Thank you again! I love this pic of Polar out of his football gear and into the regular uniform. Woof~! <3

ImageImage
ImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran

#14 Post by illuminate001 »

SOULSOFT ELECTRONIC ARTS is happy to announce that the revamp of the original DSG is finally out and available for free on the Soulsoft Electronic Arts Itch page! Please join us once more, in the sunset dappled corridors of Dream Savior Gakuen...this time ReDrawn.

A new imagining through dusting off of a decades-old VN: Dream Savior Gakuen ~ ReDraw

Thank you to all our supporters who have not only given encouragement but also helped spread the word and provided invaluable feedback. I learned a great deal from this revamp. I finally figured out how to customize the UI for the Preferences and the Save/Load Screens. (Something I was unable to achieve in LMA) as well as learning Live2D. I'm so happy right now, I hope it doesn't sound conceited to say that in this moment I feel very accomplished! ^_^

*NOTE: On first run of the .exe, my AVG needed a few seconds to do a preliminary scan to make sure it was threat free. The scan will pass, and the game will resume as normal. Enjoy!

ImageImage
ImageImage