So, what editor do you guys use?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

Re: So, what editor do you guys use?

#31 Post by Morhighan »

I use Sublime Text! I love it.

Necivo
Completed: Demon and Heart : Prototype
Projects: Sect
Organization: Vinovel
itch: vinovel

#32 Post by Necivo »

Sublime text with Renpy language package > all
I have write some visual novel like Sect or Demon and Heart : Prototype

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#33 Post by Scribbles »

I use editra, I don't think I'd like code folding, I'd probably forget where the code was and then never find it again lol
Image - Image -Image

JamieDW
Completed: Death Roulette: June Chapter
Projects: Death Roulette: July Chapter
Github: manalojamie0728
itch: jamiedw-offc0728

#34 Post by JamieDW »

Sublime Text.
It almost has the same basic features as Atom, but the text-highlighting is always the best part. :)
Besides, what interest is there?
It's not as if everyone is going to care, anyway.

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#35 Post by illuminate001 »

JamieDW wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:26 am Sublime Text.
It almost has the same basic features as Atom, but the text-highlighting is always the best part. :)
Same! But then again, I use it at work so it may just be that I'm used to it. I haven't really been on the market looking around for text editors when Sublime does everything I need so far.
ImageImage
ImageImage

FluffyCakeFactory
Regular
itch: fluffycakefactory

#36 Post by FluffyCakeFactory »

Notepad++ because that's what I'm used to. But I'm thinking about trying one of the recommended editors for a change.

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

#37 Post by mitoky »

I am using jedit and i actually like it, but i have nothin to compare to as i only ever used it.

I actually have a small question as i am a bit new to that, i was thinking of trying out atom or sublime text since i think they looks very nice. What is the diffrence between them though?
Also, I am not really sure how to set it up though, i know i need a renpy langauge pack, but what exactly is that for?

mikolajspy
Regular
Completed: Too many, check signature
Deviantart: mikolajspy

#38 Post by mikolajspy »

I was using Editra and then jEdit with previous project, but now I switched to Atom and I love it!
I installed RenPy language of course, a minimap for navigation in long scripts and configured not showing *.rpyc files in folder tree.

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#39 Post by Zetsubou »

mitoky wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 pm I actually have a small question as i am a bit new to that, i was thinking of trying out atom or sublime text since i think they looks very nice. What is the diffrence between them though?
Between Atom and Sublime Text?
Atom is free and open source. Sublime Text can be used for free indefinitely, but it'll show a popup every 50 or so saves asking you to purchase a license.

A detailed comparison probably won't do you any good, since you aren't likely to need or care about the more advanced stuff which differentiates them.
IMO, you should just try both out. Atom is 100% free, ST can be used for free indefinitely. Try them both and see which you prefer.
Also, I am not really sure how to set it up though, i know i need a renpy langauge pack, but what exactly is that for?
Atom and ST don't support Renpy syntax natively. They don't know what labels are, what screens are, or why .rpy files are special.
The language pack will give the editor the extra smarts it needs to be useful to a Renpy programmer.
It'll give you automatic completions (eg. if you typed "with Di" it would suggest "Dissolve") and offer to insert the code for you, automatically indent your code, replace tabs with spaces, highlight key words, and so on.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

mitoky
Veteran

#40 Post by mitoky »

Zetsubou wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:42 am
mitoky wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 pm I actually have a small question as i am a bit new to that, i was thinking of trying out atom or sublime text since i think they looks very nice. What is the diffrence between them though?
Between Atom and Sublime Text?
Atom is free and open source. Sublime Text can be used for free indefinitely, but it'll show a popup every 50 or so saves asking you to purchase a license.

A detailed comparison probably won't do you any good, since you aren't likely to need or care about the more advanced stuff which differentiates them.
IMO, you should just try both out. Atom is 100% free, ST can be used for free indefinitely. Try them both and see which you prefer.
Atom and ST don't support Renpy syntax natively. They don't know what labels are, what screens are, or why .rpy files are special.
The language pack will give the editor the extra smarts it needs to be useful to a Renpy programmer.
It'll give you automatic completions (eg. if you typed "with Di" it would suggest "Dissolve") and offer to insert the code for you, automatically indent your code, replace tabs with spaces, highlight key words, and so on.
Thank you for your reply! I managed to try both Atom and Sublime Text yesterday prefer Sublime Text a bit more (: White auto-complete and auto-match are actually more distracting for me (since i am so used to hand typing everything) i really like love the way you can actually see the code on the side when you scroll to. Its super handy and overall the surface seems less distracting.

About the keywords, that would be awesome since there is 1-2 things i notices arent hightlighted (default and menu, for example) but as far as i have seen its something i do not understand how to do. I hope this does not sound rude to ask but do you perhaps know some easy way or some easy to understand way for a beginner?

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by Zetsubou »

mitoky wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:07 pm About the keywords, that would be awesome since there is 1-2 things i notices arent hightlighted (default and menu, for example) but as far as i have seen its something i do not understand how to do. I hope this does not sound rude to ask but do you perhaps know some easy way or some easy to understand way for a beginner?
First, follow the instructions here: https://packagecontrol.io/installation
Then here: https://packagecontrol.io/docs/usage
The package you're looking for is Renpy Language
When you install Renpy Language, it will provide you with instructions on how to apply it to all .rpy files.

The instructions are fairly straightforward.
Open a menu, copy and paste some text.
Hit ctrl + shift + P, search for Install Package.
Select that, then search for Renpy Language.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

mitoky
Veteran

#42 Post by mitoky »

Zetsubou wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:38 pm
mitoky wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:07 pm About the keywords, that would be awesome since there is 1-2 things i notices arent hightlighted (default and menu, for example) but as far as i have seen its something i do not understand how to do. I hope this does not sound rude to ask but do you perhaps know some easy way or some easy to understand way for a beginner?
First, follow the instructions here: https://packagecontrol.io/installation
Then here: https://packagecontrol.io/docs/usage
The package you're looking for is Renpy Language
When you install Renpy Language, it will provide you with instructions on how to apply it to all .rpy files.

The instructions are fairly straightforward.
Open a menu, copy and paste some text.
Hit ctrl + shift + P, search for Install Package.
Select that, then search for Renpy Language.
Thank you very much! But i did that already and i dont mean it. Please let me explain better: I installed the package already but i noticed that some words simply arent hightlighted (screenshot attached, example define is hightlighted, while default" isnt) I was wondering how it would be possible (and if so, how) to add custom keywords to the RenpyLanguage Syntax. From what i saw, its possible but i am still fairly new to coding, so i dont understand it too well. Is there an easy way or a good explanation for that you perhaps know? Also, if i ass custom keywords, could there be some problem or bugs caused by that?
Attachments
example.PNG
example.PNG (2.83 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran

#43 Post by Zetsubou »

mitoky wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:47 pm Thank you very much! But i did that already and i dont mean it. Please let me explain better: I installed the package already but i noticed that some words simply arent hightlighted (screenshot attached, example define is hightlighted, while default" isnt) I was wondering how it would be possible (and if so, how) to add custom keywords to the RenpyLanguage Syntax. From what i saw, its possible but i am still fairly new to coding, so i dont understand it too well. Is there an easy way or a good explanation for that you perhaps know? Also, if i ass custom keywords, could there be some problem or bugs caused by that?
If you find some things missing, you could report them here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=30666&start=30
Or here: https://github.com/koroshiya/Sublime-Renpy/issues
(Since this thread really isn't the place to do that)

If you want to add them manually yourself, you can do that too. But you'd need to uninstall the language through the package manager and then install it manually.
So Ctrl + Shift + P -> Remove Package -> Renpy Language
Preferences -> Browse Packages, then go into the User folder. Clone the Sublime-Renpy repo from git into this directory.
The short version of how to do what you want would be to open RenpyLanguage.tmLanguage, search for "renpy keywords", then add "default" to the list.
But that's only how to highlight the word. That isn't enough to add autocomplete or context-awareness.
Also, if you install the package manually, you won't receive automatic updates.

I think you should use it as-is for a bit, then report the things you find wrong/absent so the language can be updated by the package maintainer for everyone.
Finished games

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

mitoky
Veteran

#44 Post by mitoky »

Zetsubou wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:33 pm
mitoky wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:47 pm Thank you very much! But i did that already and i dont mean it. Please let me explain better: I installed the package already but i noticed that some words simply arent hightlighted (screenshot attached, example define is hightlighted, while default" isnt) I was wondering how it would be possible (and if so, how) to add custom keywords to the RenpyLanguage Syntax. From what i saw, its possible but i am still fairly new to coding, so i dont understand it too well. Is there an easy way or a good explanation for that you perhaps know? Also, if i ass custom keywords, could there be some problem or bugs caused by that?
If you find some things missing, you could report them here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=30666&start=30
Or here: https://github.com/koroshiya/Sublime-Renpy/issues
(Since this thread really isn't the place to do that)

If you want to add them manually yourself, you can do that too. But you'd need to uninstall the language through the package manager and then install it manually.
So Ctrl + Shift + P -> Remove Package -> Renpy Language
Preferences -> Browse Packages, then go into the User folder. Clone the Sublime-Renpy repo from git into this directory.
The short version of how to do what you want would be to open RenpyLanguage.tmLanguage, search for "renpy keywords", then add "default" to the list.
But that's only how to highlight the word. That isn't enough to add autocomplete or context-awareness.
Also, if you install the package manually, you won't receive automatic updates.

I think you should use it as-is for a bit, then report the things you find wrong/absent so the language can be updated by the package maintainer for everyone.

Thank you very much! That answers all my questions.

clod
Github: Станислав
Soundcloud: Устименко

#45 Post by clod »

My recommendation is Codelobster