Ren'Py is not working: Bad CPU in executable

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
kaonasi_it
Github: NikAntonov

Ren'Py is not working: Bad CPU in executable

#1 Post by kaonasi_it »

I tried to install Ren'Py on a MacBook A1181 (MacBook1,1):
CPU Intel Core Duo 1.83 Gh/s x86
1Gb RAM
GPU Intel GMA 950
60GB HDD
Mac OS 10.6.8
I tried to launch Ren'Py, but it closes immediately. When i tried to launch terminal app from Contents of the main app, it shows
"Bad CPU in executable"
How I can fix this problem and launch Ren'Py?
P.S. I know that this MacBook is very old, this is temporary laptop. I need it to just continue my work.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Ren'Py is not working: Bad CPU in executable

#2 Post by Remix »

I doubt modern versions of Ren'py would support the rendering methods of such an old machine even if the CPU was supported.

My advice, until such a time as you can upgrade that laptop, is to try an older version of Ren'py designed more for that architecture.

Ren'py Release List

With that laptop being 2006, you could try a version near that age and, if successful, keep trying newer ones until you find the newest that still works.
Hopefully it will keep you designing until you upgrade.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

I fail to see why it cannot work just because its old. PyTom specifically asked people to test the latest release on 10+ year old hardware. That tells me Ren'Py should at least run on 2007 models, and there was no major change I am aware of between 2006 and 2007 that would be so drastic. The specs say it's x86, which is still used today.

I myself have a desktop (currently disassembled) I built back in 2008 that runs Ren'Py 6.99.12.4 no sweat.
The specs should also have very little issue running renpy and games produced with renpy.

The issue likely lies in the OS.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Karl_C
Veteran

#4 Post by Karl_C »

kaonasi_it wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:46 pm I tried to install Ren'Py on a MacBook A1181 (MacBook1,1):
CPU Intel Core Duo 1.83 Gh/s x86
Intel Core Duo (T2400/T2500) used in MacBook 1,1 is a 32-bit CPU.

A wild guess is, that you try to use a recent Ren'Py compiled for 64-bit on a 32-bit CPU, therefore the "Bad CPU in executable" message.

As far as I can see, there's only a "Darwin-x86_64" folder in "lib" (but no 32-bit). Unfortunately I have no idea how to solve your problem (I never owned or used a Mac)...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Yeah, the problem is that this is a 32-bit CPU, and I dropped support for 32-bit macs a while ago. It's unfortunate, but as this is a model that was discontinued in November 2006, I'm not going to start building Ren'Py for it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom