What tools do you use to manage your project?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

What tools do you use to manage your project?

#1 Post by sasquatchii »

Just curious, how does everyone else manage their workflow & collaboration for the projects they are working on?

I have used team chats such as google chat, slack, ryverr, and discord. I have also tried Trello and Asana, but I did not think either of those fit very well with how I like to organize my projects.

I recently started using Hector, a project management tool for freelancers. I use it to organize tasks & deadlines for both freelance & personal projects.

Here is a screenshot of what my current workload looks like on Hector (I also really love the design & how easy it is to use):

Would love to gain some insight into how others work, and draw inspiration from you guys to improve upon how I do things :)
ImageImage

磯七ラスミ
Regular
Projects: If Facts Aren't Alibi | 盲点に日光 (Mōten ni Nikkō) | Nest, Treetop | Untail Wire Stretch

Re: What tools do you use to manage your project?

#2 Post by 磯七ラスミ »

Plain text files and a physical notebook to write and sketch.
I'm considering to use something more but at the moment I'm unexperienced and I don't want to deviate too much looking for fancy tools.
PC calculator and online translators are useful too.
I just put everything I'll likely need inside a folder linked to my desktop, with some Notepad memo and browser bookmarks to research websites.

mikolajspy
Regular
Completed: Too many, check signature
Deviantart: mikolajspy

#3 Post by mikolajspy »

I decided to use just shared Google Drive files.
Rough story and notes in Docs, list of CG/BG in Sheets - I use simply cell color fill to mark done/undone/other etc.
Additionally, I'm writing investments in Google Sheets or cost estimations.
I also sometimes use Twine if my story has more complex alternatives after choices, it helps to visualize the routes.
Project files also sync to Google Drive, so I can continue work on other device and have sort of version control just in case.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#4 Post by Morhighan »

Google Drive, Trello, Discord, and Articy:Draft 3 are some of the tools I use.
And Ren'Py, of course!

Qwxlea
IRC Nick: qwxlea
Github: Qwxlea

#5 Post by Qwxlea »

Besides the human tools, like Discord, I use git to manage my code. Ren'Py code is just text, which works extremely well with a version control,system. If not for something like git I always end(ed) up with something like script.rpy, script_1.rpy, script_almost_but_not_working.rpy. Now everything is nice and tidy in git.

Tutorial: https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials

Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

#6 Post by Dovahkitteh »

A lot of the ones mentioned above, but Git especially is a lifesaver. My partner and I are constantly working on various parts of the build, so having everything neatly nested in the cloud is great. Also, it's an excellent way to back up your files, and takes no time at all to set up with Ren'Py, so I definitely recommend it (and the tutorial linked by Qwxlea above ^)

We tried using Trello/Asana/other project management tools for awhile, but found making to-do lists in Google Docs works just fine for our purposes. Sheets is also a lifesaver; I used to hate spreadsheets, but I sort of got Stockholm Syndrome'd into loving them after being forced to use them to keep track of things.

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#7 Post by Steamgirl »

I like favro, it's a bit like trello/hector only more scrummy? Got a backlog that kind of thing and the burndown charts can be useful. Not sure about their latest change in price structure though... used to be I could use it as a single user but not sure if that's the case any more. :?

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#8 Post by sasquatchii »

Everyone, thank you so much for your responses!! It is really cool to be able to get a glimpse into how everyone else works.

With many of the folks on here, I usually just see the output & end results of all the hard labor & planning and it's amazing! I feel like it's easy to forget sometimes that everyone has a process, that it takes you guys time as well, and almost everyone was in the same (or similar) boat as me at once :)
ImageImage