Video File convertion...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Megaman Z

Video File convertion...

#1 Post by Megaman Z »

Does anyone happen to know any program to convert a *.mpeg file to a *.mpg file. the reason I'm asking this is because the video file that's supposed to be used with the demo script is in *.mpeg format.

thanks in advance

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

If you downloaded the file from:

http://www.archive.org/download/Eisenho ... ow1952.mpg

It will be in MPEG-1 format.

Otherwise, you will have to transcode it. I can't give advice on how to do this on Windows.

There's a problem that both .mpg and .mpeg are accepted extensions for MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video.

The good news is that the next version of pygame will support all the formats ffmpeg supports. This includes MPEG-2 and DivX/XviD, for those so inclined. When a stable release of the new version of Pygame is out, I will update Ren'Py to use it.

Megaman Z

#3 Post by Megaman Z »

:evil: ok, I OFFICIALLY hate windows XP...

appearantly, when it downloads a *.mpg file, it "Helpfully" changes the extention to *.mpeg. figured this out while (re-)downloading the video file.

new question though... what format does *.wmv fall under? it's the only thing that windows movie creator exports, and I don't have anything else on hand that I can use to create/modify/convert movie files.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#4 Post by PyTom »

That would be a windows media file. It can contain any of a number of windows media formats, none of which will be supported until at least a new release of pygame comes out.

Okay, computer video 101. There are at least two formats you need to care about when playing video on a computer: The format of the file containing the video, and the format of the video stream within the file. (The latter is often called the codec).

Basically, a file containing video consists of a number of streams. It usually includes a video stream, one or more audio streams, and maybe a subtitle stream or two. It also contains timing information so you can easily sync up the video and audio streams.

Examples of file formats that contain multiple streams are avi, ogm, mkv, wmv, and mpg. Usually, the file format determines the extension.

Each video stream is then encoded with some video codec, with specifies how a raw picture is turned into a stream of bytes, and how that stream is turned back into a picture. Examples of such video codecs include mpeg-1, mpeg-2, mpeg-4/DivX/XviD, the sorenson codec used by quicktime, and so on.

There are also audio codecs that do the same thing with audio. Some of these codecs include mpeg layer-1, -2, and -3 audio (the latter is what mp3 files use), AAC, AC3, and ogg vorbis.

The motion picture experts group managed to confuse the issue even more by calling a file format, video format, and audio format with the same name, leading to endless confusion.

Anyway, what can you take home from this? Basically, that the extension of a file is a fairly poor indication of if you can play it or not.

darkknight
Veteran

#5 Post by darkknight »

Megaman Z wrote::evil: ok, I OFFICIALLY hate windows XP...
Dude i have windows ME you dont know how good u got it
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#6 Post by Otaku Dash »

darkknight wrote:
Megaman Z wrote::evil: ok, I OFFICIALLY hate windows XP...
Dude i have windows ME you dont know how good u got it
The computer i have in bedroom is ME also :( ... so don't say you hate XP withought trying ME i tell ya...... :x :P Thankfully i have XP in another computer....
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Megaman Z

#7 Post by Megaman Z »

darkknight wrote: Dude i have windows ME you dont know how good u got it
Otaku Dash wrote: The computer i have in bedroom is ME also :( ... so don't say you hate XP withought trying ME i tell ya...... :x :P Thankfully i have XP in another computer....
Actually, I have used ME before. I prefer it over XP by -just- a little...
I prefer 2000 over both, though. the only problem with 2000 is that some of my older games and programs (read: DOS) didn't work. they do with windows XP, though...

back on-topic, still no luck finding a program allowing me to make movie files compatable with ren'py... yet

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#8 Post by Otaku Dash »

Megaman Z wrote:
darkknight wrote: Dude i have windows ME you dont know how good u got it
Otaku Dash wrote: The computer i have in bedroom is ME also :( ... so don't say you hate XP withought trying ME i tell ya...... :x :P Thankfully i have XP in another computer....
Actually, I have used ME before. I prefer it over XP by -just- a little...
I prefer 2000 over both, though. the only problem with 2000 is that some of my older games and programs (read: DOS) didn't work. they do with windows XP, though...

back on-topic, still no luck finding a program allowing me to make movie files compatable with ren'py... yet
Out of topic:Hey if you need to run old games (dos) you should try DosBox. It a program that emulates Dos. It can be very handy. :) The backstand is that you need a really powerfull CPU to run it. :?

On-Topic: Well maybe we'll have to wait for V.4.8 to come out for that.
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom »

Just to clarify: Being able to play other file formats isn't waiting on a new release of Ren'Py (although one will be necessary). It's waiting on a new stable release of PyGame. So I can't guarantee that 4.8 will be able to play DivX files.

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#10 Post by Otaku Dash »

PyTom wrote:Just to clarify: Being able to play other file formats isn't waiting on a new release of Ren'Py (although one will be necessary). It's waiting on a new stable release of PyGame. So I can't guarantee that 4.8 will be able to play DivX files.
Oh sorry about that... forgot to check the info for the ideas to appear no v.48. Man i still have to download v.4.7.... how could i forget!?! :x :?