MIDI keyboard players(people)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
vlint
Regular

MIDI keyboard players(people)

#1 Post by vlint »

Are there people out there who are willing to play songs on a MIDI keyboard and hand over the MIDIs for visual novels? I would mean to convert them to ogg files with SynthFont and some cool soundfonts I found.

How much would people charge for this? I'm not asking them to write the music, or even find the soundfonts needed. I could provide sheet music for the cause, and all I would want is for them to play it well. I've found that 'precise' MIDIs don't seem to sound as good for listening, while songs can sound non-synthesized, with the proper soundfont, if played by a real person.

Is there a repository of royalty-free hand-played MIDIs out there somewhere? It would be nice if they could even be used for commercial use (though I'd be happy with any, currently).

I don't have a MIDI keyboard, myself (otherwise this would be a lot easier). Anyone know of a good place to get one?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: MIDI keyboard players(people)

#2 Post by papillon »

I have a (limited) midi keyboard and can read music and could potentially try this. What I have is something I jokingly refer to as my keyboard/keyboard - it's a normal computer keyboard with what looks like a gigantic wrist rest sticking out of it, but if you slide the cover off that it's a small midi controller keyboard. Good MIDI keyboards tend to be expensive, and I could never find one cheap enough for my taste. If you want to get what I have, search around for 'Prodikeys'. I'm not sure they make them anymore but you might find one somewhere.

As for what to charge it really depends on what music you've got and how long it takes to play it right! :) Anyone listening to me play can tell I took a lot of lessons but also that I haven't been in practice in a long time, also the keyboard only has a limited range so anything big would need multiple takes in different octaves stitched together.

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

#3 Post by Blue123 »

Hmm... I have a Yamaha PSR-500. It cost me about £300-400 (can't remember exactly), and it's done quite well. It can only play 32 sounds at once, however, which is a bit of a downfall when it comes to orchestral scores!

Anyway, back on topic. So what you're saying is you'll give the music and all you want is for it to be played and recorded?

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#4 Post by Alessio »

vlint wrote:I don't have a MIDI keyboard, myself (otherwise this would be a lot easier). Anyone know of a good place to get one?
It might help if you told where you are living. For Europe, I've been happily ordering from Germany's Thomann and Musik-Service. Or consider getting one used - since you're not interested in the keyboard's own sound, even a 20 year old MIDI keyboard will do.
Current projects: Visual Novel "Cyberlin"

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Cybeat »

Can you get a midi-keyboard online? If you can, get an M-Audio Oxygen or an M-Audio Axion. I heard those were good (I'm saving up to get one). The 25 keys ones are I think below $200. I found one of them for $119.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

vlint
Regular

#6 Post by vlint »

Alessio wrote:It might help if you told where you are living.
I live in the USA.
Cybeat wrote:Can you get a midi-keyboard online?
I can order online (that's my current preference, actually).
Blue123 wrote:Anyway, back on topic. So what you're saying is you'll give the music and all you want is for it to be played and recorded?
Yep, I just want the resulting midis, really.
Alessio wrote:since you're not interested in the keyboard's own sound
True, true. A used one would be nice, as long as the keys were functional. I must admit, however, that the sound of the keyboard might have a psychological effect on the player of it.

The range, I suppose, is a consideration.
papillon wrote:As for what to charge it really depends on what music you've got and how long it takes to play it right!
Mostly what I'm thinking is Celtic music, Classical-type music, hymn tunes (jazzed up ones might be nice, for those who like to improvise off of melodies when they play), and other old public domain music. So, most of it is pretty simple uninterpreted (other than the Classical music). Also, there's potentially stuff that I might write (which would have varying complexity; the songs would likely be short, though).

Thanks for all the suggestions of models and places to buy so far. It's been helpful.

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

#7 Post by Blue123 »

Right. If you're going to buy a keyboard, I've heard the M-Audio ones are quite good, but my personal favourites are the ones in the Yamaha PSRS range. The PSRS-500 (which I've got) is a good balance bewteen budget and quality (the sounds really are quite nice), but if you can dig up some cash then the PSRS-900 would be really good.

Being a classical pianist (but I also enjoy playing jazz, anime and movie tunes, aswell as composing) up to grade 6 standard, I might give it a shot. PM me teh music, I'll do it for free.