What Do YOU Prefer When Playing a VN?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ArcialIntegra
Regular

What Do YOU Prefer When Playing a VN?

#1 Post by ArcialIntegra »

There are 4 parts to this question:
1. Do you prefer if the setting is in Japan or the West (America, Italy, UK, etc.)
2. Do you prefer a Western art style, traditional anime art style, or a combination in between?
3. Do you prefer if the characters have normal names or do you not care (as long as they aren't TOO out there)?
4. Do you prefer if the main character is a set character with their own traits or do you prefer if they're a customizable (male/female, select race, select hair/eye color, etc.) blank-slate character?

Personally, I don't have a preference for the first 3 questions and I know I prefer playing as a character with set features as opposed to some generic customizacrap, but I was curious about you and your opinion on this for when you're playing. I know this can also serve as a great resource for VN authors when making their first project as it helps clear a lot of the questions they ask right away.

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

Re: What Do YOU Prefer When Playing a VN?

#2 Post by pyopyon »

1. Do you prefer if the setting is in Japan or the West (America, Italy, UK, etc.)

Depends on the game. To me, wherever the story makes sense is where it should be set.

2. Do you prefer a Western art style, traditional anime art style, or a combination in between?

I like a combination in between.

3. Do you prefer if the characters have normal names or do you not care (as long as they aren't TOO out there)?

Once again, depends on the setting. I don't like wild fantasy names in a normal setting for example. Like, if we're set in Normal Town, USA, don't name your character Iscatia. Give her a normal name. On the other hand, if we're in Ancient World, Faraway Land, don't name your character Frank.

4. Do you prefer if the main character is a set character with their own traits or do you prefer if they're a customizable (male/female, select race, select hair/eye color, etc.) blank-slate character?

Hate to say "it depends" again, but....... if the game is one where the character's traits are unimportant (like a personality choice-based VN) then customization is great. If a character's background is related to appearance or you're telling an actual story with characters who have motivations and things, then it's prolly best to make them have their own face and name and such.
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

ArcialIntegra
Regular

#3 Post by ArcialIntegra »

pyopyon wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:23 am 1. Do you prefer if the setting is in Japan or the West (America, Italy, UK, etc.)

Depends on the game. To me, wherever the story makes sense is where it should be set.

I like a combination in between.

Once again, depends on the setting. I don't like wild fantasy names in a normal setting for example. Like, if we're set in Normal Town, USA, don't name your character Iscatia. Give her a normal name. On the other hand, if we're in Ancient World, Faraway Land, don't name your character Frank.

Hate to say "it depends" again, but....... if the game is one where the character's traits are unimportant (like a personality choice-based VN) then customization is great. If a character's background is related to appearance or you're telling an actual story with characters who have motivations and things, then it's prolly best to make them have their own face and name and such.
So basically, you like whatever works best for the story. What if there is no "better" setting and it can make sense anywhere? I do have to agree actually on the name thing. I didn't consider those kind of examples.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

ArcialIntegra wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 am There are 4 parts to this question:

Personally, I don't have a preference for the first 3 questions and I know I prefer playing as a character with set features as opposed to some generic customizacrap, but I was curious about you and your opinion on this for when you're playing. I know this can also serve as a great resource for VN authors when making their first project as it helps clear a lot of the questions they ask right away.
I'll be another one that is mostly "it depends."
1) It depends. Wherever it makes sense for the story to be set. But I'd prefer the author know what they are talking about. Don't really care.
2) I enjoy many styles of art. I don't like "shiny boob" generic anime fan service art and will avoid any game using that style by default, unless there are lots and lots of good reviews of said game. This doesn't mean I don't like Japanese art styles. Japanese art styles are very diverse (VN's less so). But I'd pick up a VN that had Ryoichi Ikegami's art style immediately.
3) The name's should fit the story.
4) You clearly don't like customizable characters since you call them "customizacrap". I like either option if it is done well.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#5 Post by Scribbles »

1) Don't really care about the setting, but something really cliche like high school immediately loses my attention
2) I like appealing characters, and unique art styles. Anime just doesn't stand out to me so much, but I don't dislike it.
3) I don't really care but someone in a high fantasy setting named "Joe" might be really weird
4) I think allowing the player to determine appearance isn't quite the same as a "blank slate" character. I like to offer skin/hair color variations so a player can make a protagonist that might look like them (if they want). I don't think that means the characters don't have a personality. the only thing that ever weirds me out are the ones without eyes.
Image - Image -Image

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

#6 Post by puppetbomb »

If a person sets their story in an Asian country, it bothers me if the characters are written as if they were American. I assume that a good number of Western people don't mind or notice, which is expected.

But I know o__o

Some examples include people's reactions to how others talk to elders (basically Confucianism), common etiquette (shoes, alcohol, driving, biking), and prejudices (race, class, job, salary). Different cultures have different ways of dealing with certain conflicts. When those things come up and are dealt with in a manner that's not indicative of the culture, best case scenario it bothers me some. Worst case scenario, they know and do it anyways because it's "better" *intense side-eyeing Disney's Mulan*

I like the animu.

Quoting Pyopon because it's basically my answer:
pyopyon wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:23 amOnce again, depends on the setting. I don't like wild fantasy names in a normal setting for example. Like, if we're set in Normal Town, USA, don't name your character Iscatia. Give her a normal name. On the other hand, if we're in Ancient World, Faraway Land, don't name your character Frank.
4. Do you prefer if the main character is a set character[...] or do you prefer if they're a customizable blank-slate character?
So while I also agree with Pyopon that it really depends, I feel I have different expectations for one vs. another.

A blank-slate character makes me expect that there is a sandbox element to the VN. I view the character as more of an extension of myself, which tends to end in disappointment when there's no dialog option of how I'm reacting to the situation.

If there's a pre-made character that serves more as a POV, then I don't mind if the VN is more linear or gives me less choices.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#7 Post by Imperf3kt »

Scribbles wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:01 pm 3) I don't really care but someone in a high fantasy setting named "Joe" might be really weird
I guess its time I renamed my characters then >.>

1-4: depends
There is no single answer I could give.

For #2 however., I am averse to most 3D. I don't think it suits the VN medium much, even when fully animated.
Though, it really depends (there's that word again) on the rendering engine used.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#8 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

I don't care as long as the setting is well done and the creator knows what they are depicting. I'd PREFER not to see generic Japanese high school setting unless the creator IS Japanese and attended one, and something unique is done with it.

I'd love to see settings from the creator's own country that they are initimately familiar with if they are going to go with a modern setting.

Again, I don't care as long as it is well done and matches the tone of the game.

Depends on the story and setting. I want character names that make sense in the story and whatever time period / region they appear in. Also, avoid similar sounding names and names that start with the same letter. It is really difficult to keep track of characters when you have an Alissa, an Alison, and an Alice all running around interacting with each other.

I prefer a set character with their own backstory, traits, gender and appearance. I really think MUCH stronger stories are possible when you have a pre-determined main character whose role you step into, versus a blank slate player avatar.

I even find it invigorating to step into a role that isn't like my own life and maybe gain new insights from that. In the past few months in video games I've played I've assumed the role of a mixed race little girl, a Japanese high school student, a middle-aged mobster, etc.
trooper6 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:24 pm 2) I enjoy many styles of art. I don't like "shiny boob" generic anime fan service art and will avoid any game using that style by default, unless there are lots and lots of good reviews of said game. This doesn't mean I don't like Japanese art styles. Japanese art styles are very diverse (VN's less so). But I'd pick up a VN that had Ryoichi Ikegami's art style immediately.
Ryoichi Ikegami's style would be cool. I'd also love to play a VN that used Junji Ito's art style myself! (If you need to stay awake and don't have access to caffiene, check out Junji Ito's work like "Hanging Balloons".)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by gekiganwing »

The art which I like is usually cartoonish -- just exaggerated enough, not too realistic. It implies that the story is amusing. (There have been times when I have been afraid of detailed / photorealistic characters. I have wondered "will they beat me up because I sometimes like feminine things?")

Settings: show your research. Help the reader find it believable.

There have been some acclaimed VNs that I have left unfinished for personal reasons. "Too bleak" or "stopped caring about the characters" are things I have thought. Today, I tried Code Realize and it held my interest. I liked the protagonist's "Who am I? Why can't I interact with other people?" conflict. Also, the plot had external conflict, and seemed to be leading to a confrontation.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by trooper6 »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm Ryoichi Ikegami's style would be cool. I'd also love to play a VN that used Junji Ito's art style myself! (If you need to stay awake and don't have access to caffiene, check out Junji Ito's work like "Hanging Balloons".)
I'd also be super stoked for a VN in Junji Ito's style. That would be cool! And like you, Japanese high school settings are not likely to draw me in...especially if created by people who have never been to a Japanese High School and are just trotting out tired old stereotypes. But something cool and new? That would be interesting. Like 7 Billion Needles is a manga set in a Japanese high school...but it isn't the same old same old.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#11 Post by pyopyon »

ArcialIntegra wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 pmSo basically, you like whatever works best for the story. What if there is no "better" setting and it can make sense anywhere? I do have to agree actually on the name thing. I didn't consider those kind of examples.
Personally, I don't think there's any original story in the world that could really take place anywhere. If it can, then it's likely something that is less of a unique story and more of a story archetype, like an adaptation of an pre-existing world famous classic story (like Cinderella.)
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

ArcialIntegra
Regular

#12 Post by ArcialIntegra »

trooper6 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:24 pm
ArcialIntegra wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 am There are 4 parts to this question:

I'll be another one that is mostly "it depends."
1) It depends. Wherever it makes sense for the story to be set. But I'd prefer the author know what they are talking about. Don't really care.
2) I enjoy many styles of art. I don't like "shiny boob" generic anime fan service art and will avoid any game using that style by default, unless there are lots and lots of good reviews of said game. This doesn't mean I don't like Japanese art styles. Japanese art styles are very diverse (VN's less so). But I'd pick up a VN that had Ryoichi Ikegami's art style immediately.
3) The name's should fit the story.
4) You clearly don't like customizable characters since you call them "customizacrap". I like either option if it is done well.
Okay, I should clarify: It isn't that I dislike customizable characters. The fact that they are customizable isn't my issue. My issue comes from how most customizable characters tend not to have much depth beyond Sword Art Online's Kirigaya Kazuto (Kirito). I will acknowledge there are some that do this well, but for the purposes of this, I consider them to be part of the "fixed traits" category despite their having customizable aesthetic features. I acknowledge I should have used more balanced wording.
Scribbles wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:01 pm 1) Don't really care about the setting, but something really cliche like high school immediately loses my attention
2) I like appealing characters, and unique art styles. Anime just doesn't stand out to me so much, but I don't dislike it.
3) I don't really care but someone in a high fantasy setting named "Joe" might be really weird
4) I think allowing the player to determine appearance isn't quite the same as a "blank slate" character. I like to offer skin/hair color variations so a player can make a protagonist that might look like them (if they want). I don't think that means the characters don't have a personality. the only thing that ever weirds me out are the ones without eyes.
1) Is there a particular reason why that setting is an issue for you? Or is it just because it's overdone (which is still a fair reason)?
2) So, any style that "pops"... Makes sense. You can only look at the same style for so long before you go crazy, and when we see so much mass produced art in one style, it makes sense not to be crazy for it anymore.
3) I can see that. I would probably laugh when he was introduced and then cringe every time after.
4) I will acknowledge my wording could have been better. I used an overgeneralization with that remark.
puppetbomb wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:45 pm 1. Do you prefer if the setting is in Japan or the West (America, Italy, UK, etc.)
If a person sets their story in an Asian country, it bothers me if the characters are written as if they were American. I assume that a good number of Western people don't mind or notice, which is expected.

But I know o__o

Some examples include people's reactions to how others talk to elders (basically Confucianism), common etiquette (shoes, alcohol, driving, biking), and prejudices (race, class, job, salary). Different cultures have different ways of dealing with certain conflicts. When those things come up and are dealt with in a manner that's not indicative of the culture, best case scenario it bothers me some. Worst case scenario, they know and do it anyways because it's "better" *intense side-eyeing Disney's Mulan*

I like the animu.

Quoting Pyopon because it's basically my answer:
pyopyon wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:23 amOnce again, depends on the setting. I don't like wild fantasy names in a normal setting for example. Like, if we're set in Normal Town, USA, don't name your character Iscatia. Give her a normal name. On the other hand, if we're in Ancient World, Faraway Land, don't name your character Frank.
4. Do you prefer if the main character is a set character[...] or do you prefer if they're a customizable blank-slate character?
So while I also agree with Pyopon that it really depends, I feel I have different expectations for one vs. another.

A blank-slate character makes me expect that there is a sandbox element to the VN. I view the character as more of an extension of myself, which tends to end in disappointment when there's no dialog option of how I'm reacting to the situation.

If there's a pre-made character that serves more as a POV, then I don't mind if the VN is more linear or gives me less choices.
1. What if they write the characters much like how the anime industry writes their characters? (i.e. a blend of Western and Eastern traits) I do understand where you are coming from, however. I can usually notice those issues as well.
2. I'm actually surprised. I made this post expecting there to be a divide between anime vs. western, but (instead) got a bunch of "depends". Hearing an actual preference stated is quite a breath of fresh air. Haha :P Mind if I ask if there is a reason why you have a preference?
3. But... Frank is my best character!
4. So, it depends on the choices. If they're a blank slate, you want them to be a good blank slate and let you have legitimate control, but if they're just a POV, make it a POV character. Makes sense. :)
Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:18 pm
Scribbles wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:01 pm 3) I don't really care but someone in a high fantasy setting named "Joe" might be really weird
I guess its time I renamed my characters then >.>

1-4: depends
There is no single answer I could give.

For #2 however., I am averse to most 3D. I don't think it suits the VN medium much, even when fully animated.
Though, it really depends (there's that word again) on the rendering engine used.
Same... Poor Frank... It looks like he'll be going through an identity crisis now...

2. Ok, I don't think I've personally ever agreed with a statement as much as I do now. I'm okay with a 3-D environment like in Danganronpa, but I need the characters to be 2-D or else it just feels wrong to me. Personally, I think it's a matter of the use of the 3-D more so than the rendering engine. I mean, I am sure *somebody* could make a 3DVN work, but I have yet to see one do so, at least in my opinion.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm 1. Do you prefer if the setting is in Japan or the West (America, Italy, UK, etc.)
I don't care as long as the setting is well done and the creator knows what they are depicting. I'd PREFER not to see generic Japanese high school setting unless the creator IS Japanese and attended one, and something unique is done with it.

I'd love to see settings from the creator's own country that they are initimately familiar with if they are going to go with a modern setting.

Again, I don't care as long as it is well done and matches the tone of the game.

Depends on the story and setting. I want character names that make sense in the story and whatever time period / region they appear in. Also, avoid similar sounding names and names that start with the same letter. It is really difficult to keep track of characters when you have an Alissa, an Alison, and an Alice all running around interacting with each other.

I prefer a set character with their own backstory, traits, gender and appearance. I really think MUCH stronger stories are possible when you have a pre-determined main character whose role you step into, versus a blank slate player avatar.

I even find it invigorating to step into a role that isn't like my own life and maybe gain new insights from that. In the past few months in video games I've played I've assumed the role of a mixed race little girl, a Japanese high school student, a middle-aged mobster, etc.
trooper6 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:24 pm 2) I enjoy many styles of art. I don't like "shiny boob" generic anime fan service art and will avoid any game using that style by default, unless there are lots and lots of good reviews of said game. This doesn't mean I don't like Japanese art styles. Japanese art styles are very diverse (VN's less so). But I'd pick up a VN that had Ryoichi Ikegami's art style immediately.
Ryoichi Ikegami's style would be cool. I'd also love to play a VN that used Junji Ito's art style myself! (If you need to stay awake and don't have access to caffiene, check out Junji Ito's work like "Hanging Balloons".)
1) It makes sense. You want the depiction to be accurate for better immersion. What if the setting is chosen as a high school setting, but only for context of the events going on? For instance, we had the anime Erased where the school was used more as a medium to give context for what was going on. Do you oppose or approve of this? (If you haven't seen the anime, I recommend looking into it. I found it highly enjoyable even if the supposed twist came across as obvious to me.)
2) So you want the art to actually fit the game. If it's a horror story, don't make every scene look like an A-1 Pictures production, but if it's a love story, don't make every scene look like it came straight out of Junji Ito's imagination, right?
3) I agree. Too Many Steves is never a good thing.
4) Personally, I agree. I do believe a customizable blank-slate character can be done well and create a strong story, but it is so much easier to write when you aren't handicapping yourself. As for the games you listed, mind if I ask which games those were?

Okay, in all fairness, Junji Ito's work would keep anybody awake...
gekiganwing wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:33 pm The art which I like is usually cartoonish -- just exaggerated enough, not too realistic. It implies that the story is amusing. (There have been times when I have been afraid of detailed / photorealistic characters. I have wondered "will they beat me up because I sometimes like feminine things?")

Settings: show your research. Help the reader find it believable.

There have been some acclaimed VNs that I have left unfinished for personal reasons. "Too bleak" or "stopped caring about the characters" are things I have thought. Today, I tried Code Realize and it held my interest. I liked the protagonist's "Who am I? Why can't I interact with other people?" conflict. Also, the plot had external conflict, and seemed to be leading to a confrontation.
So, something light-hearted and amusing is your preference... but what if you're playing a story that is actually really dark? Do you still prefer that art style? Does it make the story not seem so dark? Or does it make it all the darker to you by attaching something that you saw as light-hearted and innocent?
Settings: Fair enough.
So you like VNs with conflicts for the character to overcome as opposed to VNs where the MC is more-or-less simply being dragged along through the story. Makes sense to me. As for your comment about "Too bleak", what would earn that label from you? Same for "Stopped caring", assuming it's not the usual reasons.
trooper6 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:23 am
LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm Ryoichi Ikegami's style would be cool. I'd also love to play a VN that used Junji Ito's art style myself! (If you need to stay awake and don't have access to caffiene, check out Junji Ito's work like "Hanging Balloons".)
I'd also be super stoked for a VN in Junji Ito's style. That would be cool! And like you, Japanese high school settings are not likely to draw me in...especially if created by people who have never been to a Japanese High School and are just trotting out tired old stereotypes. But something cool and new? That would be interesting. Like 7 Billion Needles is a manga set in a Japanese high school...but it isn't the same old same old.
Ooh! I know that one! For those who haven't read it, I second this recommendation.
pyopyon wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:04 am
ArcialIntegra wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 pmSo basically, you like whatever works best for the story. What if there is no "better" setting and it can make sense anywhere? I do have to agree actually on the name thing. I didn't consider those kind of examples.
Personally, I don't think there's any original story in the world that could really take place anywhere. If it can, then it's likely something that is less of a unique story and more of a story archetype, like an adaptation of an pre-existing world famous classic story (like Cinderella.)
I'd personally disagree. While it would be wrong to say that setting has no effect on the story, often you can adjust for the changes. Mawaru Penguindrum (anime), for instance, could work in just about any major city with minor changes to the characters to reflect the new environment. The biggest change would be their uniforms and their regular consumption of curry (which would still be reasonable if they were still of a heritage that has curry as part of their diet). That said, for some stories, such as Katawa Shoujo (VN), the setting is highly important as that's a cornerstone of the story in the first place. It really depends on the role of the setting in the story. Not every story is dependent on its setting, but, at the same time, not every story can afford to have an easily-replaced setting. *cough* *cough* It depends. *cough* *cough*
...geez, I should really do something about this cold...

Anyhow, I love these responses. Regardless of if I agree or not, please, keep them coming. This is really fun! :)

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by trooper6 »

I don’t think there is a problem with 3D, just bad 3D...just as there is a problem with bad 2D. Donmai has done a few VNs that I’ve played (The One in Love is my favorite) and she uses 3D and her stuff is amazing.

I’m pretty open to most things, but if it is shiny boob anime set in a Japanese High School where it is also a BxG dating sim that is trying super hard to Moe with all the -dere tropes? It is very, very unlikely I will play that game.

That said, I have heard so many good things about Doki Doki Literature Club (especially that it isn’t the sort of game that it looks like) that I am definitely going to stream that one on Twitch.
A Close Shave:

ArcialIntegra
Regular

#14 Post by ArcialIntegra »

trooper6 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:47 pm I don’t think there is a problem with 3D, just bad 3D...just as there is a problem with bad 2D. Donmai has done a few VNs that I’ve played (The One in Love is my favorite) and she uses 3D and her stuff is amazing.

I’m pretty open to most things, but if it is shiny boob anime set in a Japanese High School where it is also a BxG dating sim that is trying super hard to Moe with all the -dere tropes? It is very, very unlikely I will play that game.

That said, I have heard so many good things about Doki Doki Literature Club (especially that it isn’t the sort of game that it looks like) that I am definitely going to stream that one on Twitch.
I haven't seen any (in a VN) good examples of 3D. If you have any, I'd honestly love to stand corrected. As for DDLC, there is a reason why it opens up by saying "This game is not suitable for children or the easily disturbed."
...twice.
It really REALLY needs to hammer that point in. I *think* it was made in Ren'Py based on certain characteristics I noticed, but it (overall) doesn't feel like it. It's a great experience and so worth playing. I'm not even finished yet, but plan to finish it on my next day off work.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#15 Post by Imperf3kt »

Odd that DDLC is coming up a lot recently. A workmate of mine (who knows nothing of Ren'Py) recommended it to me yesterday saying he had an 'unofficial Android version'

Back to the topic od 3D art style, it can be done well and when it is, it really is.

I'm mostly okay with 3D in VNs, but I almost puke every time I see a photorealistic Daz or Poser model. Sorry to those who like that, but its not for me.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter