OPS2: Space to Grow [Sci-fi][Farming Sim][Raising Sim][COMPLETE]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

OPS2: Space to Grow [Sci-fi][Farming Sim][Raising Sim][COMPLETE]

#1 Post by qirien »

Our Personal Space 2:
Space to Grow
title-with-sprites.png
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1706 ... e_to_Grow/

itch.io: https://metasepia.itch.io/space-to-grow

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... pacetogrow

Game Info:
  • Release Type: Commercial, Open Source
  • Projected Release Date: Finished!
  • Genre: Sci-fi Farming and Raising Sim Visual Novel
Synopsis:
Jack and Kelly struggled through their first two years of marriage in the first game, Our Personal Space, and are now embarking on a new adventure - parenting. Be an authoritarian tiger dad, or a laid-back buddy dad, or anything inbetween while at the same time planning your farm to carefully meet your family's and community's needs. Lead your community as you navigate between several factions: the rich megacorp R.E.T. from Earth and its miners, your fellow colonists, and a group of maverick farmers who split off and form their own settlement.

Game Features:
  • Influence your child's development from baby to young adult through parenting decisions
  • Experiment with a variety of crops to feed and satistfy your community.
  • Take charge of a community with several factions, each vying for the resources of Talaam.
  • Science fiction setting that blends modern technology and old-fashioned frontier improvisation
  • Open source code licensed under the GPLv3 and other licenses.
Our Team Thank you for everyone here at Lemmasoft who supported us making this game!
Last edited by qirien on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Finished games:

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

Re: Our Personal Space 2 [Sci-fi][Farming Sim][Parenting Sim

#2 Post by Godline »

Yay! This is so exciting! <3

Did you play the first game? If so, would you be sad if some of your decisions did not carry over (Kelly's profession, hobbies, decision to have kids or not?)?

>>> Not really, but one of the attractions of the first game was having lots of lots of choices and variations on what could eventuate.

Does this sound fun/interesting?

>>> Yeah, it's cute. Simming parenting is so much more fun than doing it IRL. Haha.

The first game had a female protag, and this game has a male protag. Does that bother you or make you less likely to play?

>>> Makes me more eager to play really.

I want there to be some interaction between farming decisions and parenting decisions; any ideas about that?

>>> Whether you raise your child right to work on the farm? ;) More harvest, more money, more choices on expensive stuff for the the child. IDK.

What kinds of parenting issues/dilemmas would you like to see in this kind of game?

>>> Real dilemmas faced at different ages. The screaming stage, the no stage, the rebellion stages... etc.

What kind of tropes/ideas have been done to death and you hope not to see in a farming/parenting game?

>>> I've never actually played a game like that before, so it's all new to me!

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#3 Post by YossarianIII »

Oh, cool! The farming/parenting angle sounds like an interesting idea for this sequel.

Did you play the first game? If so, would you be sad if some of your decisions did not carry over (Kelly's profession, hobbies, decision to have kids or not?)?
Yes, I did! Honestly, I think I played to see 2 different endings anyway, so I really wouldn't care if the "canon" reboots to something other than what I chose.

Yes, I liked the day system from the first game, and this one sounds like a cool update. I'm particularly interested in longer time frame of the story. I don't think I've played a game before where you go from young parent to middle-aged. Outside of obvious examples like the Civilization franchise, most game stories I know take place over short-ish periods of time.

The first game had a female protag, and this game has a male protag. Does that bother you or make you less likely to play?
Nah, I'm down for whatever when it comes to protagonists.

I want there to be some interaction between farming decisions and parenting decisions; any ideas about that?

There could be a conflict in where you spend time (i.e. more time spent on the farm means less time spent with the kid)? I don't know what you plan on doing with the Calorie and Nutrition variables, but you could do something where not enough of a certain variable leads to sickness (like Papers, Please or This War of Mine) or where good Nutrition helps other stats grow more quickly.

(I say all this as someone who won't have to actually code the thing! :) )

What kinds of parenting issues/dilemmas would you like to see in this kind of game?
Not to get political or anything, but recently, I've seen a lot of parents online who are stressing out about how to explain bad events or tragedies to a child. Could be one angle. On the flip-side, I know a lot of great parenting fiction that just covers day-to-day stuff. (The movie Boyhood and the comic Building Stories both cover everyday parenthood over long spans of time.)

What kind of tropes/ideas have been done to death and you hope not to see in a farming/parenting game?
My main problem with Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley (both of which I love) was the constant repetition of dialogue. It kind of breaks the illusion if your protagonist is in love with someone and all they say when you talk to them is "Oh hello. Did you know Joe's favorite gift is cheese?" This is generally much less of a problem in visual novels, although sometimes adding little bits of continuity (like when a character remembers a previous decision in a later scene) can be a nice touch sometimes.

Image Image

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by qirien »

Thanks, guys! So nice to hear ideas from people whose work I admire. :-D

Oh, good idea about Nutrition! Sometimes we forget about the hundreds of diseases caused simply by not getting enough of a certain nutrient (Scurvy, rickets, anemia, etc).

I think deciding how to talk about tragedies with kids is a great topic, too. Even though the game spans years, most of the decisions will be about small, everyday things (which we will then assume are representative of your parenting style as a whole). Just like love, it's the small parenting moments woven together that make up the whole... :-D
Finished games:

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by qirien »

Status update:
We have made progress! Things will probably slow down for me this summer as I now have 3 kids at home. But the game is coming along!

TEXT: 15%, 12,825 words so far! We have outlines for all 30 of the community and family events, and lots of different farming events depending on the player's crop choices. We know the basic mechanics of the game and now mainly need to fill out all the events with prose.

GRAPHICS: 5% We have started on some new backgrounds and sprites in a slightly different style (see below).

GUI: 50% We have picked a color scheme (dark green and tan), and have some of the interface customized.

CODE: 50% The initial farming interface has been coded, but lots still needs to be fleshed out. We have functions for getting/setting parenting style and variables for relationships and kid's development attributes.

MUSIC: 5% We have picked a style (acoustic guitar solos), and have started sorting through to choose individual songs. One artist we're looking at is Jeff Wahl.
Attachments
An older-looking Kelly in a slightly different style.
An older-looking Kelly in a slightly different style.
Dialogue box screenshot and maybe a new background?  Yes, I named Jack &quot;Gryffindor&quot; in this playthrough. Kelly is &quot;Ravenclaw&quot;. :-D
Dialogue box screenshot and maybe a new background? Yes, I named Jack "Gryffindor" in this playthrough. Kelly is "Ravenclaw". :-D
Screenshot of GUI for Preferences menu
Screenshot of GUI for Preferences menu
Cute sitting baby sprite!
Cute sitting baby sprite!
Finished games:

num
Regular

Re: OPS2: Space to Grow [Sci-fi][Farming Sim][Raising Sim]

#6 Post by num »

Hello, dropping in from neighboring thread! Also looking forward for this game! :D

Never played the first game, I'll try to find some free time to play it!

Of course it does! Raising sim type of game is kinda rare, so it's interesting to play anything new from the genre.

Not at all! I personally like all kind of protags.

Maybe something like a dilemma? farming generate more income, while parent - child relationship may deteriorate and vice versa.

Different perspective on what's best for raising the child between both parents?

In the usual farming games (harvest moon, stardew valley, etc.) the child is usually just there as an accessories or achievement. I'd actually like to see more interaction and focus on the child since this is also a raising game.

qwertyculous

#7 Post by qwertyculous »

I made an account to tell you this: I really really loved the first game. Got me through a breakup, and I play it sometimes with max stats as a chilling game.

Sad, maybe not, but I did feel like the doctor profession was the strongest and most fun route, so that's sort of my "canon" Kelly. The other things are minimal.

I will play this regardless just because of the first one, but I admit I don't like playing male protags. Not sure why, but I have trouble getting invested. Maybe I'm incapable of playing something without hamfistedly shoving a self insert in.

I'm very excited to see this is a thing!

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by qirien »

Wow, thank you for your kind comments! I'm glad you agree that the doctor profession is the best; we've decided that's the "canon" profession for OPS2.

We're having a lot of fun writing as Jack, and it's actually really interesting to see Kelly from his point of view. I think his decisions and dilemmas are something anyone can relate to, especially people interested in parenting and/or farming.

Also, I've updated the first post with our latest stats; we're making a lot of writing progress, and hopefully we'll have some new art to show you soon, too!

Thanks for the support! :-)
Finished games:

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by qirien »

Sorry it's been awhile! We have been working hard on writing, which takes a lot of time but is hard to show in a short update post!
Farm Planning Screen
Farm Planning Screen
One thing I can show you, however, is the current state of the farming minigame, where you lay out crops for the current year. You need to balance the nitrogen in the soil, and rotate your crops so you don't get too many pests, while also making sure your crops will provide enough Calories and Nutrition and not take too much Work.
Plugin Poetry poems
Plugin Poetry poems
I've also created a minigame, Plugin Poetry, a magnetic poetry-style minigame for making poems with a given set of words. This will be used several places in the game (you know Jack loves writing poetry!), and the current idea is that you can post your poems to the community message board, and depending on what you write various people will comment on them.

Want to give it a try? If you do, post your poems here!
Finished games:

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by qirien »

We've been plugging away and have written 106,000 words and now also have some art to show you!
Here's a few pics of the daughter you raise in this game, default name "Terra".
baby happy.png
baby happy.png (37.73 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
toddler cry.png
young nervous.png
You can also follow our Metasepia Games Facebook page if that's an easier way to get news.
Finished games:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#11 Post by PyTom »

I'm glad to see this is still going on, and to see the art. I really enjoyed the first game, and just from the pictures, it looks like this one is going to continue the tradition of following on from after where more traditional dating sims end.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by qirien »

I've got a trailer for you guys!!! The plan is to finish sometime this year!
https://youtu.be/9kcTas1z0TU
Finished games:

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#13 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Wow, looks interesting! Nice concept and it's unique :D
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by qirien »

I updated all the progress meters; the beta is almost finished (still waiting on some more sprites and blocking). We want to do a lot of testing and QA and add more CGs, maybe achievements, so it will probably not be ready until early 2020. Thanks for your patience! Just like raising kids, making games takes a lot of time. :-)
Finished games:

SilkSpider

#15 Post by SilkSpider »

So excited for this to be released, I look forward to it immensely <3

Not really, because the way you're doing the sequel mostly fits with how I played the first game anyway! I'm glad you made doctor her canon profession. I also really liked her as the colony's teacher, but doctor was by far the most interesting choice.

YES!

Not at all. Different perspectives are always interesting, and open up a lot of great storytelling options. I think it will be super interesting, to see the story continued through his perspective!

Not really, big city kid here, so I know nothing about that stuff. Well, actually - I learned quite a bit from playing the first game!

Well, I'm not a parent IRL, but I've observed plenty of people who are, so... hmm. Deciding the right time to have "the talk", and how much to tell the child? Explaining death to a very young child, after the passing of a beloved pet or close relative? Being conflicted about watching the child grow up and become increasingly independent? Being unsure of how much trust and liberties to give a teenage child? Talking to a teenager about things like healthy vs unhealthy relationships and safe sex?

I can't think of any, honestly. The first game was very unique, and extraordinarily well done!