Yuri/Yaoi game query

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Xerofit51
Veteran
Completed: Freak-quency, Harvest-Moon spin off
Projects: Freak-quency
Deviantart: xerofit51

Yuri/Yaoi game query

#1 Post by Xerofit51 »

So, I'm planning to make a game where both yaoi, straight and yuri is possible.
Details here : viewtopic.php?f=43&t=45905

I have played either yaoi and yuri games before but never in one game. I realized that some don't like to see yaoi, yuri, or straight even, so I plan to have a disable button so some scenes or dialogue won't trigger if the player doesn't like one of the romance genres. My question is, is this a good idea? To have a game with yaoi and yuri together? To me love is love and yes there will be a bit of H stuff, but I won't draw a full on exposed dicks, korean lightsabers or vagagays and anything like that, so I thought it won't be an issue, but I asked some of my friends and some really prefer just yaoi or just yuri, so I want to see other people's thoughts on this.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Yuri/Yaoi game query

#2 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

I think the biggest problem with games that combine all three is that it kind of traps you into doing one of two things that people don't like regarding NPCs:

1) Either characterization is hurt, because every NPC is magically gay, straight, or bi based on just the player's choice, and thus you lose consistency of character, or
2) Some characters are only available if the player is gay or straight, and thus people will get upset that their favorite character isn't a date option because of their gender.

Number 1 is probably preferable to Number 2, but it is still weird when you really think about it.

i would tell you to make the game YOU are interested in making. Don't just include options to include options. If YOU don't like yaoi for example, you probably aren't going to do a very good job writing yaoi romance scenes or storylines. Same goes for yuri, or straight.

Inclusion is nice, but I don't think inclusion for inclusion's sake is doing anyone justice.

Xerofit51
Veteran

#3 Post by Xerofit51 »

My next project I suppose is more to number two than one, it's not an otome/ge, it's more that you can play as multiple people and their perspective, kinda like heavy rain where you change the main character that's why I include yaoi, yuri and straight, because some characters are staight, gay, or bi, as for preference, I don't mind either one, I've written straight before, I'm practically a hard core fujoshi and I read yuri sometimes if it doesn't have too much sex scenes, so I do plan to tone down the H scenes in yuri to compensate, but thank you fr the input.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

I like most everything if it is done well and the person who has created the work has a passion for the project. Do what you want to do!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

Just a note, but I was wondering if you were aware of Bara
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bara_(genre)
Which is similar to Yaoi, but just a little different.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bara_%28g ... ersus_yaoi

Personal note: I am disturbed by any non-heterosexual relations, so I generally skip anything with these themes.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Xerofit51
Veteran

#6 Post by Xerofit51 »

Ah I'm aware of Bara but I find those muscles too well defined and disturbing to see sometimes. May I ask why you ask?

Xerofit51
Veteran

#7 Post by Xerofit51 »

trooper6 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:53 am I like most everything if it is done well and the person who has created the work has a passion for the project. Do what you want to do!
Thanks! I like doing things a bit differently but I don't like t force things on people so I still want the option to disable either the hetero or non hetero relationship

PMscenarios
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo
Projects: In Blood, Xenopathy
Tumblr: pmscenarios
itch: pmscenarios

#8 Post by PMscenarios »

There are several games featuring a diverse cast of characters you can date, from Hustle Cat, Where we lay our scene to Date (almost) anything sim and Date or Die that seem to have found a market, after all there's loads of ppl who like to see more diversity and representation options in the games they play.

If we're talking about pure H-scenes I can see giving ppl the ability to skip them, but I guess I'm unsure about what market you are trying to target here - is it the LGBT+ scene, or the more straight-leaning yaoi/yuri fans?

With how very dark your game leans, I'm unsure if it's the potential romances between the characters that would give ppl pause, and not story lines like a 16 year old boy being lured into prostitution (btw, he needs an age adjustment if you want to have a H-scene between him and his 19 year old love interest) or a romance with a guy that currently reads as irredeemably awful.

Answering on a more general note, I tend to avoid heterosexual romance unless it has a twist or some sort of unique set-up, but I tend to pick my games more from the plot than the characters involved, so unless it's a pure dating sim I will play to figure out the story. Having said that I massively prefer games that feature diverse characters - identity, origin, colour, ableness, body shape, etc and do avoid games that don't have this.
ImageImageImage

Xerofit51
Veteran

#9 Post by Xerofit51 »

PMscenarios wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:55 pm There are several games featuring a diverse cast of characters you can date, from Hustle Cat, Where we lay our scene to Date (almost) anything sim and Date or Die that seem to have found a market, after all there's loads of ppl who like to see more diversity and representation options in the games they play.

If we're talking about pure H-scenes I can see giving ppl the ability to skip them, but I guess I'm unsure about what market you are trying to target here - is it the LGBT+ scene, or the more straight-leaning yaoi/yuri fans?

With how very dark your game leans, I'm unsure if it's the potential romances between the characters that would give ppl pause, and not story lines like a 16 year old boy being lured into prostitution (btw, he needs an age adjustment if you want to have a H-scene between him and his 19 year old love interest) or a romance with a guy that currently reads as irredeemably awful.

Answering on a more general note, I tend to avoid heterosexual romance unless it has a twist or some sort of unique set-up, but I tend to pick my games more from the plot than the characters involved, so unless it's a pure dating sim I will play to figure out the story. Having said that I massively prefer games that feature diverse characters - identity, origin, colour, ableness, body shape, etc and do avoid games that don't have this.
I suppose I'm more towards the straight leaning yaoi/yuri fans, oh and don't worry the H between him and the 19 year old will probably more on kissing, I don't plan on anything below the belt for those two, tho I believe in the UK and European countries the age of consent is 16, so I don't really see it as a problem. The H scenes itself well is there when it's more story appropriate, example Angel is a character who likes to fool around and I like to put the option to experience that when we play her route. Another example is Fox who does have an interest on a male partner, I want to show some romantic interaction when we play as him as well. All in all Romance is not a major gameplay, I mean it's there and it does have reason to be there, but the main gameplay is to figure out the story and get to know the characters