[solved] Black screen or frozen on android after resuming from sleep or switching apps

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Re: Black screen or frozen on android after resuming from sleep or switching apps

#16 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Thanks everyone for helping to research this problem.
Here is a quick summary of some of the findings (feel free to let me know if I made a mistake or left something out)

Summary:
The error has been replicated with several games including the demo game that comes bundled with Renpy
(The Question).

It has also been replicated on the following android versions:
4.1.2, 5, 6 and 7.1.1.

And multiple phones:
Le 2 Pro 4GB RAM
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 3GB RAM
Samsung Galaxy note 2 2GB RAM
LG G4
LG G2
other unspecified phones

Here is a playlist of videos demonstrating the issue:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... X1BwfXJo6k

So far the following seem unaffected:
Android 4.4.3

The source is as of yet unidenified but appears to be general to apply to many apps (extent to be confirmed) and versions of android. It is also not 100% relicable. It occurs frequently but not every time that you switch between apps or turn the screen off.

Possible causes: Android power saving measures? Something else to do with Android OS? Custom screens? ATL(unlikely)? RAM?
Last edited by ComputerArt.Club on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Black screen or frozen on android after resuming from sleep or switching apps

#17 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'm leaning toward the Android OS still.
No matter what I try, I cannot replicate this issue on an Android 4.4.3 device

The device specs are Cortex-A53 1.2GHz Snapdragon 410 SOC with Qualcomm GPU and 2GB of RAM
Have not yet had time to test on an Android 6.0.1 device as previously stated I would.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#18 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 am I'm leaning toward the Android OS still.
No matter what I try, I cannot replicate this issue on an Android 4.4.3 device
Interesting. Thanks! Ill update the summary.

I'll also post a video of the issue on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 running Android 4.1.2 soon.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#19 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

I just posted two videos of the issue appearing on an android 4.1.2 device. I show two situations where it happened instantly (first attempt) and then there is a further attempt to repeat it and I could not. Interestingly, one video was recorded straight after the other. I closed the app, opened it again, switched to the android menu and then opened the app again and it was frozen.

I have also added all the videos to a playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... X1BwfXJo6k
Apa wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:37 pm To PyTom - let me know if you want me know to capture logcat log or anything else, please?

A log sounds like it might shed some light on the issue.

Errilhl
Regular
Projects: HSS
Deviantart: studioerrilhl
Github: studioerrilhl

#20 Post by Errilhl »

Anyone tested this on Android 7.x? yet?
Currently working on: Image

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#21 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Errilhl wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:42 pm Anyone tested this on Android 7.x? yet?
Doesn't seem like it. Unfortunately, I do not have a Android 7.x device.

Errilhl
Regular

#22 Post by Errilhl »

I do, if anyone can link me an APK with known issues that I can try to install

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#23 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Errilhl wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:53 pm I do, if anyone can link me an APK with known issues that I can try to install
Awesome! :D I guess the best APK to try is The Question since it is the game that comes bundled with Renpy and it is quite a simple and straightforward game. I hope that it's OK for me to post this here (I imagine it is since it comes free with open source software), but if it is not, I will take it down: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p77DBY ... sp=sharing. If you have any of your own games perhaps give them a go and let us know if you can reproduce the error or not on those too.

Errilhl
Regular

#24 Post by Errilhl »

Happens in Android 7.1.1 as well, on an Umidigi Pro phone (yeah, unknown Chinese manufacturer, but the OS is pure Android).

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#25 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Errilhl wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 am Happens in Android 7.1.1 as well, on an Umidigi Pro phone (yeah, unknown Chinese manufacturer, but the OS is pure Android).
Thanks for testing! I have updated the summary information.

Errilhl
Regular

#26 Post by Errilhl »

ComputerArt.Club wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:53 am Possible causes: Android power saving measures? Something else to do with Android OS? Custom screens? ATL(unlikely)? RAM?
While it might be power saving measures, or Android in itself, I highly doubt it has anything to do with custom screens (as it happens with The Question Renpy demo).

Also, I doubt it has to do with ATL, as it happens on pure backgrounds with just textbox up.

RAM is not the problem either, I think, since mine's got 4GB rather high-end Samsung RAM in it (the one tested with Android 7.1.1)

No other games seems to do this, I have of course not tested that many apps (medio a couple hundred, perhaps) on this Android version, I think I've experienced the black screen of death maybe twice or thrice, although I cannot be sure it's the same type of black screen. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember what kind of apps have caused the other incidents :/

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#27 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Errilhl wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:46 pm No other games seems to do this,
Hmm, perhaps there is need for testing more games to find out which work and which dont. My two games suffer from this problem (renpy 6.99.12 and 6.99.13). I just downloaded moonlight walks (pytoms game possibly compiled on an old version of renpy) and so far I have been unable to replicate it. My games are relatively recent. Could it be the version of renpy that compiled it? which version of renpy should I try? Which game should I try?
I assume my games cant be compiled wiyh old versions. the language might be different. might try an older version of The Question

Errilhl
Regular

#28 Post by Errilhl »

Oh, I need to clarify - no games made using other engines. Ie, it seems to be fairly uncommong, apart from Renpy-games. So it seems there is a combination of Renpy, and more modern Android versions. I don't really think we'll find the reason for this without a fairly complicated systems review / logging feature.

Apa
Regular

#29 Post by Apa »

Errilhl wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:44 pmI don't really think we'll find the reason for this without a fairly complicated systems review / logging feature.
Agreed. Is there a guide how compile debug version and get required logs from Android? :?:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#30 Post by PyTom »

Okay, just ordered an LG G4 to see if I can repeat it on that. It should arrive Saturdayish.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom