[solved] Releasing my android app with a nightly build that solves a bug.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

[solved] Releasing my android app with a nightly build that solves a bug.

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

So Pytom recently fixed a bug that was causing a black screen on android after switching between apps viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46699. I quickly tested my new (Christmas themed) app that I would really like to release this weekend.

The nightly build download page warns: "DO NOT RELEASE GAMES WITH THESE, as they may contain bugs and APIs that will not remain supported".

So, in your opinion, is it better to release my game with the current stable build that contains this bug, or a new nightly build that eliminates it but could have other problems?
Will there be any issues for me updating the game when the next stable release of Renpy is available?
Last edited by ComputerArt.Club on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Releasing my android app with a nightly build that solves a bug.

#2 Post by Remix »

It is a bit of a 'best fit' type choice.

Firstly just ask yourself if the 'fixed bug' is a deal breaker for your game.
- If it is, maybe chance the nightly 'bug fix' code base. (most of those warnings are pretty generic anyway and 'presumably' you will be releasing another release in a month which can happily use a stable code base). It also depends how 'mission critical' stability is... If a bug had crept in, would your player base be understanding, let you know and wait a next release or would they desert you?
- If it is not, maybe just stay stable.

The primary thing (for game development) is to note the "APIs that will not remain supported" bit... basically don't build code dependent upon new features only available in nightlies.

If you really, really, really wanted to be sure, maybe diff the stable versus nightly and 'best guess' what hiccups might occur ;)
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

Personally, I'd go ahead with it but in your release notes, state that the update is experimental.

From what I've seen of the recent nightly builds, they appear stable for now.

If you're worried, split it off. Give the ordinary update using Ren'Py stable, and make a 'new' app, built with Ren'Py nightly.
Mention the nightly app in the changelog and let your userbase choose if they want to risk possible bugs.
If it fails, they just uninstall it and revert to the stable version. If it works, then there's no problem!
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

If it works for you, go for it. We're pretty close to prereleases.

Just don't expect long-term support for it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#5 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Thanks everyone!

I have decided to release the app built with the nightly build.