[Solved] Problems disabling autosave and autoreload

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

[Solved] Problems disabling autosave and autoreload

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

So I have two little android games made with Renpy that are not the typical VN and do not require autosaving and autoreload, in fact these features, while great for most games, have been a bit of a nuisance for what I am working on right now (they consist of short stories with mini games and it each session works best when starting at the main menu). I found a couple of threads on disabling auto save and tried out the suggestions, but so far I have not been successful.

Current code (from inside options in the build configuration section):

Code: Select all

init python:
# this is placed  inside the current init python section under all the code that was already there 
    config.has_quicksave = False 
    config.has_autosave = False
    config.autosave_slots = 0
    config.autosave_on_choice = False
    config.autosave_on_quit = False
When I close the app in android and reopen it, it still shows the splash screen and then "reloading game".

Related threads:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26051&hilit=autosave
Pytom answers how to disable autosave and quicksave.
He suggests:

Code: Select all

init python:
     config.has_quicksave = False
     config.has_autosave = False
There were other threads too, but I think that one is the most relevant. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time.
Last edited by ComputerArt.Club on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Problems disabling autosave and autoreload

#2 Post by Remix »

Frameworks & Scriptlets:

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Re: Problems disabling autosave and autoreload

#3 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Remix wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:37 am Have you tried:

define config.save_on_mobile_background = False
Thank you!!!!!!

Define was causing a syntax error in the options script but after removing it the code seems to work. For awhile I was mystified about where you found this code as I couldn't find it in the save documentation or android documentation. Eventually I found it in the configuration variables documentation (wow! It is quite long too!)

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/config.h ... background

Thanks again!

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: [Solved] Problems disabling autosave and autoreload

#4 Post by Remix »

lol yeah, there are quite a few config settings briefly outlined on that page.

It is worth reading through at least once though, some of them do give hints about the hidden capabilities of Ren'py ... I've recently been reading about modes (maybe a new version feature/thing) and setting events or transitions during mode changes after finding those in that config page... Always useful to learn, never know when it might come in handy.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

Re: [Solved] Problems disabling autosave and autoreload

#5 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Yes, it looks very interesting. There is a bit of unexpected humor in there too:
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/config.h ... t_neighbor
define config.nearest_neighbor = False
Uses nearest-neighbor filtering by default, to support pixel art or melting players' eyes.
:lol: