Any engine used to make a low-res visual novel?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
sc00pj0hn

Any engine used to make a low-res visual novel?

#1 Post by sc00pj0hn »

I'm looking for a way on which engine is used to allow to make a visual novel that goes by a authentic small size used in 8-bit/16-bit era game consoles (ex. 256x244, 360x240). I don't like starting off to make a HD-sized visual novel as i am a fan who loves retro games and likes to imitiate them using GameMaker: Studio and such engines. I believe using Ren'py can be tough for making really retro authentic VNs with pixel perfect graphics, so i'm finding out if this can be done with something else... or maybe Ren'py? (keep in mind i haven't yet used ren'py)

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Any engine used to make a low-res visual novel?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I don't see why you couldn't use Renpy. There are a number of folks who still prefer 800x600 because it is old school JVN. You can specify your window size and choose your own graphics.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

sc00pj0hn

#3 Post by sc00pj0hn »

trooper6 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:50 pm I don't see why you couldn't use Renpy. There are a number of folks who still prefer 800x600 because it is old school JVN. You can specify your window size and choose your own graphics.
Because there's adjusting lots of stuff such as the GUI size, the font, menus, etc. which is for advanced users...

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

The latest versions of Ren'Py do that automatically

Personally (and I don't mean to be offensive but... There's no other way to say this) if you can't be bothered learning how to do all that stuff, then you'll very quickly can't be bothered finishing your game and fail.

Its like every time I see someone post a finished game and the forum post is extremely short, full of spelling errors and has no formatting what-so-ever.
If your sales pitch is this crappy, why would I torture myself reading more of the same?

If you don't want to put even a little bit of effort into making your game, then I don't want to put the effort into playing it.

Sorry for the rant, its been building up for ages and isn't personally directed at you, but the forums at large.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Kinjo
Veteran
Completed: When the Seacats Cry
Projects: Detective Butler
Organization: Goldbar Games
Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
Github: GoldbarGames
itch: goldbargames

#5 Post by Kinjo »

I wouldn't recommend doing it, but you can set the window size in ONScripter to as small as 400x300 or 320x240.

If you want some other irregular size like the ones you mentioned, you'd have to modify and recompile the engine.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#6 Post by Katy133 »

There's also Ren'Py retro-GUI frameworks people have released for use. This one is a HyperCard framework.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!