Is there any way to make real-time image distortion in Ren'py? (Example provided)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SypherZent
Veteran
Completed: Multiverse Heroes, Space Hamster in Turmoil

Is there any way to make real-time image distortion in Ren'py? (Example provided)

#1 Post by SypherZent »

Hello, everyone.

How can I recreate an effect like this one?
Please jump to time 53 seconds.
The effect lasts until 1:03 (duration, 10 seconds).

This is an effect from the game Suikoden.
The specific effect I am referring to is the environmental distortion and the bubble.

I can easily make the bubble in Image Editing software, but how could I make a distortion like that using Ren'Py, or pure Python?

Any input to help me get moving in the right direction would be helpful.

Thanks,
SZ
Creator of Multiverse Heroes & Space Hamster in Turmoil

Want me to code your game?
Check my services thread!

Aoi14
Projects: GuardianS X

Re: Is there any way to make real-time image distortion in Ren'py? (Example provided)

#2 Post by Aoi14 »

You might have to make your own transformation for that, unless there's something I'm missing. Try this out and let me know how you get on :D
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/atl.html
Working on VNs. As usual :P

SypherZent
Veteran
Completed: Multiverse Heroes, Space Hamster in Turmoil

Re: Is there any way to make real-time image distortion in Ren'py? (Example provided)

#3 Post by SypherZent »

Yes, I can relate to that, I'm just trying to work my brain around how to do it.

I can use Python to grab all of the Pixels within a region, however my game is composed of Individual Tile sprites, so it's not one large Image.

Does Ren'Py Animation Engine allow a "Screenshot" to be taken, and displayed on a layer above everything else, and that Screenshot composed of various ren'py displayables, now being flattened onto an image of some filetype, jpg or png, where the user doesn't detect the transition, and now I can do the math a bit easier without interpolating between individual class entities?

Trying to understand the root of the methodology behind how it can be done.
If I can take a screenshot of what player is viewing and display it to them without they noticing, I can modify that asset then discard when the animation is done.

Is there any other pseudocode / methodology that comes to mind?

Thanks.
Creator of Multiverse Heroes & Space Hamster in Turmoil

Want me to code your game?
Check my services thread!