About old documentation (it is rather not a question, and cry from the heart...)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
IrinaLazareva
Veteran
Projects: Legacy
Organization: SunShI

About old documentation (it is rather not a question, and cry from the heart...)

#1 Post by IrinaLazareva »

Hello.
What happened to the old page of Renpy's doc?

Yes. I know, it has become outdated. But this resource contained a lot of useful information... :(
Cookbook, FAQ, Russian page...

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: About old documentation (it is rather not a question, and cry from the heart...)

#2 Post by Donmai »

Jeez, just before Xmas I recommended the old shake effect cookbook to someone ( viewtopic.php?p=472714#p472714 ), and the code and examples were still there. Now, following the link I posted, I can't find anything. I hope that's just a momentary server problem.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: About old documentation (it is rather not a question, and cry from the heart...)

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

I also noticed this yesterday while looking for something that the new documentation doesn't fully explain like the old documentation did.
Hopefully its just a bug as there was a lot of very useful functions in there that aren't yet in the new documentation despite still working as intended or in rare cases, suit my personal projects better than the current documentation does.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#4 Post by Remix »

Hopefully, if they are removing it all, they are planning to integrate a version of it all into the current documentation.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

I'm trying to figure out what to do here. The wiki has been locked off for a long time now, and insofar as functions are left out, it's because they're obsolete and shouldn't be used in modern versions of Ren'Py. I'm leaning towards trying to bring back the wiki as static html pages, but other things are more important uses of my time.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom