Computer Art Club [Free] [made by elementary school students] [android app]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Computer Art Club [Free] [made by elementary school students] [android app]

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

It is finally done! We finished our game!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/det ... renpy.one

This is a reasonably short game where you play as a student in the Computer Art Club. Each week you decide what you will do in class (thus affecting your skills) and there are also a series of bizarre events along the way. Make the right choices and you will be have a successful future, make the wrong choice and it may very well be the end of the world as we know it!

There are ten weeks, each week was coded and illustrated by a different elementary school student. Some creative commons assets were also used, with permission and attribution where necessary.

More images soon!
Feedback welcomed but please don't post anything impolite here or on Google Play, this game was made by kids and there will be kds reading the reviews on Google Play.
Last edited by ComputerArt.Club on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

Re: Computer Art Club [Free] [made by elementary school students]

#2 Post by Ertal77 »

:D This is such an awesome and creative idea! Congratulations! I'm sure the kids had lots of fun making it, plus learned and unleashed their creative selfs!
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

VHC_Softwares
Regular

#3 Post by VHC_Softwares »

I wish we had this in school. Looks much more fun than my Java class was.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Back when I was in school, most of the time I got saddled with helping teach the students because I knew more than the teacher did (despite not even owning a computer)

I really wish these were the sorts of tasks we did. Would have made class a lot more enjoyable.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#5 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

VHC_Softwares wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:10 pm I wish we had this in school. Looks much more fun than my Java class was.
Yeah, this is an optional after school computer art club and it is a hobby of mine, so I teach them whatever I think looks cool or useful. I also only teach them open source software so they can use it at home and for the rest of their lives. There is a lot of amazing stuff out there these days.

Wow, cool, Java, was that at elementary or high school? I don't know Java :(. I think we learn a little html in high school and that was it.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#6 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Ertal77 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:34 pm :D This is such an awesome and creative idea! Congratulations! I'm sure the kids had lots of fun making it, plus learned and unleashed their creative selfs!
Thanks! It's not always plain sailing, kids are easily distracted, but it is worth it :D

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#7 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Imperf3kt wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:25 pm Back when I was in school, most of the time I got saddled with helping teach the students because I knew more than the teacher did (despite not even owning a computer)

I really wish these were the sorts of tasks we did. Would have made class a lot more enjoyable.
Yeah, well I'm pretty sure your posts helped teach me Renpy too, so I guess you are still teaching teachers, hahaha.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#8 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

More images:

There are about 7 possible good endings and a number of bad endings along the way.

Empish
Veteran
Projects: Efemural Hearts, It Ends With Graduation
itch: empish

Re: Computer Art Club [Free] [made by elementary school students] [android app]

#9 Post by Empish »

This is great. I'm really glad you're using Ren'py to teach your kids. At some point I want to make a curriculum for using Ren'py as an introduction to programming for students at the middle school or elementary school level, but too many things to do, not enough time. ^^; When and if I ever get to that, I'd like to interview you as to how the teaching process went for you and such.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

Re: Computer Art Club [Free] [made by elementary school students] [android app]

#10 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Empish wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:42 am This is great. I'm really glad you're using Ren'py to teach your kids. At some point I want to make a curriculum for using Ren'py as an introduction to programming for students at the middle school or elementary school level, but too many things to do, not enough time. ^^; When and if I ever get to that, I'd like to interview you as to how the teaching process went for you and such.
Sure! That sounds great! Teaching materials really help more teachers try these things out. Most teachers are too busy to plan complex lessons or curricula in areas that they are unfamiliar with or new to.