Chess of Blades [BxB][Mystery][Romance]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

Chess of Blades [BxB][Mystery][Romance]

#1 Post by Dovahkitteh »

>> The full game can now be purchased on Steam, Itch.io, and Google Play! <<

Follow us along in the development of our next games:

Twitter | Discord | Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Title: Chess of Blades
Genres: BxB (Boy's Love), Mystery, Romance, Comedy
Length: ~125,000 Words (around 9-13 hours)
Voice Acting: Full English VA
Rating: PG-13, R-18 (two versions)
Available Platforms: PC/Mac/Linux
Release Date: Dec 24th 2017

Summary:
The king is having a huge birthday celebration! Five days of dancing, festivals, and drinking, culminating in a grand masquerade ball. It just so happens that Rivian Varrison, the introverted son of a famous nobleman, is forced to attend this giant event by his father. By chance, or maybe something more deliberate, he runs into a host of colorful and shady characters, all with their own stories to tell. But when a sudden and mysterious crime happens on the second day of the celebration, Rivian finds himself thrown into the middle of it, and has to discover the truth behind what really happened -- and who the people around him really are.
~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Dovahkitteh on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

Re: Chess of Blades [BxB][Mystery][Romance]

#2 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Was pleased to see this was out as I enjoyed playing 'Requiescence'.

So far I've died once but I am enjoying it [like your backgrounds this time :) and the character art is lovely]. Took me a while to get use to Rivian's voice but Franz's has that deep sexy tone to it. [He can whisper sweet nothings in my ear anytime].

My favourites are usually the long-haired guys, but Linnaeus is such a pain (at least initially - I haven't tried to persue him yet - hopefully he'll loosen up a bit and turn into a darling).

Great writing (something I really liked about Requiescence too).

Mikomi
Veteran

#3 Post by Mikomi »

Congrats on the full release! I'm happy to see this finally out- it looks like a lot of effort has gone into it and I hope it does well!

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#4 Post by Dovahkitteh »

@Lesleigh -- Thanks for the kind words! Hopefully Linnaeus will win over your heart when you get to his route~
@Miko -- Many thanks! ^^

Super happy to announce that we've just released on Steam, with a 22% off sale for a week! \o/

Image Image

MizuYukiiro
Completed: Chess of Blades
Tumblr: MizuYukiiro
Deviantart: MizuYukiiro

#5 Post by MizuYukiiro »

Wooooo!!! Congrats~ 8) 8) 8) :D

Lydwine

#6 Post by Lydwine »

I just finish playing a visual novel so I guess this one will be the next game I’ll go for. 😊
Congrats 😊
"La littérature est la preuve que la vie ne suffit pas." Fernando PESSOA

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#7 Post by illuminate001 »

Just chiming in as well, congratulations!!! It must be a joyful relief!

PS. Franz is still my favorite
ImageImage
ImageImage

Arinasaur

#8 Post by Arinasaur »

Made an account just so I could comment on this

This is an amazing game. Rivian's voice was kind of off putting at first and initially Arden also annoyed me so much that I didn't want to play his route, but 15 minutes in and I was hooked. Played through all the routes and Franz is definitely my favorite. I wasn't expecting to like either Arden or Linnaeus, but I actually did enjoy their routes and
the rather unexpected one.
I really liked the voice acting too (normally I just turn it off because it doesn't suit the characters imo) and I really liked the fact that each route had a different plot to it rather than me having to endure the same main plot over and over again.

I'll definitely follow AG's future game developments :D

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#9 Post by Dovahkitteh »

@Lydwine -- Very happy to hear that! You should share your thoughts with us after playing~

@Illuminate -- Thanks! <3 It was great hearing from you all the way back in the early stages of dev ^^ (btw, been playing Adam recently and loving it)

@Arinasaur -- Thank you so much for your kind words! I know English VA is very often just a hit-or-miss and can conflict with how we imagine characters inside our heads. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it :D And that you liked the route branching too! (I hate having to replay a lot of common route stuff myself) I hope you stick around Lemmasoft by the way, there're a lot of other great games on here that you should check out~

Image Image

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#10 Post by illuminate001 »

Haha definitely Dovah, actually I remember thinking we announced ChessofBlades and Let'sMEATAdam around the same time oh so long ago lol. Both BxB, both murder mysteries. I'm really excited to see what you come up with next. <3

And Im glad you are loving LMA so far!!! btw, your avatar...I could be wrong but is that supposed to be Setsuna from LastBlade? (cept with an emoji face)
ImageImage
ImageImage

saddest-willowby

#11 Post by saddest-willowby »

Oh man, this was an awesome game! The writing, art, polish, everything was top notch.

Seconding the voice acting, I usually turn them off but this is one of those rare gems that made me smile instead of cringe to hear it. Special mention to when Rivian says "This is the last damn time I play babysitter." Sass is through the roof :P

I had my eye on Linnaeus from the start because I'm a sucker for those cold logical types, and he very much delivered haha. I thought the banter between him and Rivian was adorable, esp since they were actually quite similar in their sassy people-hating ways.
I was surprised to find that Arden turned out to be my favorite though! His voice for sure was my favorite - it went soft and smooth over the ears, except for the more intense moments, at which point it became even better LOL.
I also sadistically liked how Rivian was kind of mean to him in his route, which was an interesting side of him that he doesn't really show with the other two.
Franz I saved for last because I was afraid his predatory-ness would be too much, but well, I ended up enjoying his route as much as Linneaus's!
His moment with Hazel sold it for me, that was just too precious ;_; His backstory was also the most compelling.

I am only sad that Silas isn't dateable, but I guess you can't have everything. Otherwise, congrats and thank you for releasing this wonderful game!
Haven't played Saber's route yet. I need to do that at some point.

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#12 Post by Dovahkitteh »

illuminate001 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:20 pm Haha definitely Dovah, actually I remember thinking we announced ChessofBlades and Let'sMEATAdam around the same time oh so long ago lol. Both BxB, both murder mysteries. I'm really excited to see what you come up with next. <3

And Im glad you are loving LMA so far!!! btw, your avatar...I could be wrong but is that supposed to be Setsuna from LastBlade? (cept with an emoji face)
Thank you! <3 The next endeavor is a vampire game~
My avatar is actually Klavier Gavin from Apollo Justice, ahah!
saddest-willowby wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 pm I am only sad that Silas isn't dateable, but I guess you can't have everything. Otherwise, congrats and thank you for releasing this wonderful game!
Haven't played Saber's route yet. I need to do that at some point.
We really appreciate your kind words and feedback! It's also great to hear that you enjoyed all the routes, even the ones you weren't expecting to~
Hopefully you'll like Sabre too, it definitely takes a bit of a different turn from the others!
===

COB is now available on the Google Play store! There's a version with no voice acting and one with voice acting, taking into consideration file size/cost.

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#13 Post by Dovahkitteh »

The OST for COB is now available for purchase! Check it out if you enjoyed the music!

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#14 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Chess of Blades has been re-released on the Google Play store! It's now more mobile-friendly and allows individual purchasing of routes.

There's also a "Which Noble Are You?" quiz now on our website, so check it out!

Image Image