Recruiting for a visual novel project!

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Alex Falkenberg
Soundcloud: alexfb

Recruiting for a visual novel project!

#1 Post by Alex Falkenberg »

Hello!

I will try to keep this post short, but there is a lot I wish to go through!

Firstly, I'll get the introduction out of the way! I'm Alex, I'm a high school student from Finland. I've pretty much been making games for as long as I can remember, starting from my very early years with free programs on my mom's computer!

I've finished a few games, which none I am particularly proud of, so I sadly would not like to share them.
But besides developing games, another big hobby of mine is composing music, which I started at around the same time I did developing games. I've created music for several video games before, a lot of which have been Undertale fangames. I've also always been into writing stories, most of them being in the horror genre. For writing, I've taken a few classes while in upper-level school. I'm completely self-taught in the other areas, though, and I'm proud of the skills I have developed over the years.

Anway, I'm making a visual novel game (which should not be a surprise, really). I've recently caught a pretty big interest in... Well, a visual and/or interactive version of a telling a story, without it having to be a classic video game. Especially after playing through a collection of these sorts of games, I've for a while wanted to make my own.

So...

The Concept...

The story is about a guy participating in a summer camp, due to his mom wanting him away from her, taking place in a small cabin in the woods. The main character would find himself in a camp full of girls only, due to a boy-dominated group being full. The story would focus on our main character trying to survive a week in the middle of a forest, with no other guys in sight. There would be lots of fun adventures and character interactions and I'm sure nothing bad could possibly happen...

I wish to make something where player decisions would be the most important part of the narrative Due to this being my first full game in many years, I don't want to aim too high. I believe the game will average at about an hour.

What I am looking for...

As of now, I am looking for a writer and a character- and background artist.

Despite having some slight experience in writing, I believe having another talented mind working on something as big as a game, would be a huge helping factor in getting this project done in my lifetime.
A co-writer would also be great for proofreading whatever goes into the game and giving suggestions on what to do better.

As for the art department, that is a thing I have pretty much 0 experience in. I can indeed give art direction and feedback, but when it comes for me to pick up a pen and paper (or any other mean of making art), nothing good has ever come to the paper. So I am looking for a minimum of two artists, one for the character art and one for the background art. This is not only so I the development will go faster and smoother, but especially so I do not overwork anyone to the point where working is no longer fun and feels more like a chore. This is what I want the least from my team to have. (Of course, this doesn't mean both of those departments cannot have more than one people in them).

There is one thing you need to know before applying to an artist...
You need to be willing to draw slight gore. This game won't have anything overly graphic, but it's good to keep in mind that there will be some disturbing imagery in the game.

Of course, I would love to see a portfolio, or something else showcasing your previous work. I am not too picky, but I have slight standards.
I also want everyone who thinks of applying to know, that I want to ensure a fun and safe workspace for everyone. I cannot pay anything, which I am extremely sorry for, but I will try to do anything in my power to make sure that once I have a steady source of income, I will pay it back to everyone working on this project.

If you are interested or have any other questions, leave me an email at alexfalkenbergmusic@gmail.com or add me on Discord @Alex Falkenberg#8294 .

Thank you so much in advance and I look foward to working with you!
Why can I only use such small images?

nerupuff
Veteran

Re: Recruiting for a visual novel project!

#2 Post by nerupuff »

I would love to work with you but I suppose I should build up my own portfolio first (as I am a beginner of sorts)! I would have wanted to apply for a co-writer position. I do like the concept; it sounds like something interesting that could branch out into something more. I hope you can find the people you need!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

rainbowolfe
Organization: SpaceTime Studios
Tumblr: rainbowolfe
Deviantart: rainbowolfe1

#3 Post by rainbowolfe »

Hello!

Your project sounds very interesting, and I've been looking for a VN to work on for awhile now~! I'm fine with drawing pretty much anything, including gore. I'd mostly prefer to be a character artist though .3.
Examples of my work can be found at these places:
https://rainbowolfe1.deviantart.com/
https://rainbowolfe.artstation.com/

Deviantart has everything I can do, and Artstation has the very best I can do~
Have a good day~

-Wolfie

Alex Falkenberg
Soundcloud: alexfb

#4 Post by Alex Falkenberg »

rainbowolfe wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:24 am Hello!

Your project sounds very interesting, and I've been looking for a VN to work on for awhile now~! I'm fine with drawing pretty much anything, including gore. I'd mostly prefer to be a character artist though .3.
Examples of my work can be found at these places:
https://rainbowolfe1.deviantart.com/
https://rainbowolfe.artstation.com/

Deviantart has everything I can do, and Artstation has the very best I can do~
Have a good day~

-Wolfie
Hi! I'm incredibly sorry for the late reply, and I'm happy you showed interest! Retracting on my previous statement, I would be glad to work with you! Do you happen to have Discord or Skype? Thanks!

- Alex
Why can I only use such small images?