Can Ren'Py handle RPG mechanics?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
HypnoChanger
Projects: Adventure High
Deviantart: HypnoChanger

Can Ren'Py handle RPG mechanics?

#1 Post by HypnoChanger »

Hello, I've been working for a while on a game which uses both RPG and Visual Novel elements in Stencyl. But, it seems that stencyl hits a problem once enough images are in the game where it hits a compile error. So, I can't add any new images to the game without the game failing to compile. I'm looking for a new engine to port the game over into so I can keep development going. While Ren'Py looks like it might be an improvement for the visual novel elements, I'm not entirely sure if it can handle the RPG elements; specifically, the dungeon crawling, and turn based combat.

Does anyone with experience with this engine know if those kinds of mechanics can be made to function in Ren'Py?

starshine001
Completed: None
Projects: The Nightfall [Vampire Thriller]
Organization: None

Re: Can Ren'Py handle RPG mechanics?

#2 Post by starshine001 »

While I've never used these kinds of mechanics in my game(s) before, I am reasonably confident that it can, since RPG-y Engines have already been made public on the Cookbook.

See:
RPG Battle Engine from Jake: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16943

RPG Overworld Engine from Mole-chan: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29964

Of course I don't know the scale of the game, but, as said, it should work.
(Maybe you should wait for another reply though, I'm not an expert in these things and have no idea why I'm trying to be xD)
So, although I am a complete novice in Ren'py coding like this, I hope this reply has been at least somewhat useful.

EDIT: nyaatraps Dungeon Crawl RPG Framework may be interesting to you as well, if your game is in 3D: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=19245
Looking cool, Joker!
-Morgana, 2017
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My dreams dictate my reality

HypnoChanger
Projects: Adventure High
Deviantart: HypnoChanger

#3 Post by HypnoChanger »

Hm, doesn't look like I would be able to use the battle engine; the thread says it cannot be used for commercial projects, which my project most likely counts as since I make a fair bit of money on patreon for working on the game.

starshine001
Completed: None
Projects: The Nightfall [Vampire Thriller]
Organization: None

#4 Post by starshine001 »

:cry: Well, that's a shame!

Still, I tried two of the engines out before and it's working pretty smoothly on my Laptop, so even if you end up making your own framework Ren'py should probably be able to handle it. It's quite a powerful tool if you know how to use it!

Hope I could help.
Looking cool, Joker!
-Morgana, 2017
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My dreams dictate my reality

ReDZiX
Regular

#5 Post by ReDZiX »

I'm working on an RPG VN game with Dungeon Crawler elements.

For the dungeon crawling part we use RenPy's screen language and images in pseudo 3D with movement animations and RenPy's been able to handle it pretty well so far, sometimes it lags a bit when there are a lot of images and animations appearing on the screen at the same time, but recent Ren'Py versions (6.99.14.1) have made a lot of improvements on performance. I guess it depends on the machine you're testing the game too.

For the battle system you need to know Python programming language, wich blends in quite easily with Ren'Py as well.