The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea [GxB][GxG] [Commercial]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
blackcross12
Regular
Completed: The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, The Rose of Segunda, Homecoming, Heaven's Grave,
Projects: Best Friends Forever [IP], The Thorns of War [IP], Rise of the Phoenix [IP]
Organization: Blackcross & Taylor
Tumblr: blackcross-taylor
itch: blackcrosstaylor

The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea [GxB][GxG] [Commercial]

#1 Post by blackcross12 »

Maddie is looking forward to spending the summer before she begins college working with her best friend, Bridgette, as crew on the luxury cruise ship M.S. Andromache.

So what if its maiden voyage is to retrace the route of its ill-fated sister ship, the S.S. Cassandra, which disappeared inside the perilous Bermuda Triangle almost 100 years before? The media will hype anything for a story and the liner company is only too happy for the extra publicity.

But when things aboard ship start to go awry, Maddie soon realises she’ll have more to deal with than demanding passengers and annoying co-workers. Could she be the key to changing events set in motion almost a century ago, or will the mystery of the Devil’s Triangle claim her too?

The full game will feature:
•approximately 70,000 words
•Realistic 'serving on board a cruise ship' action!
• 8 CGs
•3 romance routes
•8 endings

Release date: 16th February 2018

Price: £2.99 (approximately $4.00)

Download it here: https://blackcrosstaylor.itch.io/dat
Attachments
PKLoiq.jpg
VktINL.jpg
NnEyBW.jpg
ImageImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea [GxB][GxG] [Commercial]

#2 Post by Zelan »

I did the proofing/testing for this game and I can confirm that it's fantastic. I can't pick a favorite route, which is pretty uncommon for me. c:

blackcross12
Regular
Completed: The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, The Rose of Segunda, Homecoming, Heaven's Grave,
Projects: Best Friends Forever [IP], The Thorns of War [IP], Rise of the Phoenix [IP]

#3 Post by blackcross12 »

Dawww, thanks, Zelan! You were a great help and I'm looking forward to working with you again on future games. ^_^

NiKaWo
Regular
itch: NiKaWo

#4 Post by NiKaWo »

Just finished Karl's route and I liked it a lot! The climax/ending seemed a little abrupt, but it was still satisfying.
I got the one where Maddie and Karl save the day and are about to enjoy their first date on shore leave in Bermuda
The plot was super interesting and the characters all likable. I especially enjoyed Maddie, she was such a fun and strong MC. The art was pretty as well.
that image with the alien ship thing in particular was amazing, and the sprites for Maddie and Bridgette were tied for my favorite.
I'll play Bridgette and Connor next and then come back for a longer review, but all and all, based on Karl's route alone, it was well worth the price.

Looking forward to playing the other two routes when I have time, and then after that, Rose when it comes out. Thanks so much for all of your hard work!

blackcross12
Regular

#5 Post by blackcross12 »

Thanks, NiKaWo. I'm glad you enjoyed the game and thank you for the feedback.

I'm working non-stop on Rose at the moment, so I hope it lives up to expectations ^_^

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#6 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Congratulations for the release!
It's been a pleasure working with blackcross12, I had lots of fun working on this project <3
and also I recommend to try this VN out since the story and writing is great^^

blackcross12
Regular

#7 Post by blackcross12 »

Thanks, Yuuki!

I'm glad you enjoyed working on the project - I had fun too, and your artwork has been getting lots of compliments. ^_^

NiKaWo
Regular
itch: NiKaWo

#8 Post by NiKaWo »

I finally finished the other two routes! Though I haven't gotten all the endings
I think I got the three romance 'happy' endings? As previously mentioned,
I got Karl's ending where they solve it and go on a date on Bermuda, got the same ending path with Connor and Bridgette too. I was so worried that I didn't get all of the necessary points/make the 'best' choices with Connor though when he vanished on me. I was really happy when he appeared again haha
I'll just lay out some of my random thoughts. Forgive any rambling or repeats of what I've said in my previous comment/on itch.io haha.

1: I loved, loved, LOVED the MC. Loved her. She was sassy and fun and much different from the 'typical' otome heroines. This is super important to me because I just can't play games where you are the perpetual damsel in distress or, perhaps even worse, are nothing but a naive and useless blank slate. I loved everything about her, her design, her dialogue options, how while you could shape her personality somewhat, she still had a character all of her own outside of your influence that was competent and engaging without leaving me feeling forced to roleplay a certain way.

2: The writing quality was quite good, I didn't notice any spelling errors or anything like that, and while it felt a bit rushed in some places (mostly in the climax/endings), it was still very polished and engaging. The dialogue choices in particular were both hilarious and natural.

3: I liked all of the LI's pretty equally, Bridgette ended up winning in the end because she's a childhood friend and I'm an absolute sucker for the childhood friend trope and am also bi in real life, but Karl and Connor were both super close seconds. I've included a few individual thoughts on them below, I threw everything under spoilers just in case as well.
- Bridgette
Loved her a lot, she was sweet, and, cheerful, and pretty while also being anxious and relatable at the same time. I especially liked how in her climax she was clearly scared, but still summoned the bravery to stay by Maddie's side no matter what, and I appreciated this representation that crying and being scared or worried doesn't mean you can't do amazing things when the situation calls for it. I really liked how her relationship with Maddie developed as well. lesbian/bi-female romances all too often end in tragedy or are treated as simply 'token gay' options. You made the relationship feel every bit as real and and fitting as the boys', without ignoring the dynamics that make a g/g relationship unique. As a bi girl in real life with a preference for girls, this made me so happy.
- Karl
I'm usually not super fond of tsunderes tbh, so I played his route first simply to get it out of the way (and you better believe I chose the rude options in their first two dialogues at least haha), but I ended up actually genuinely enjoying him. Perhaps because he was more of a 'soft' tsundere, and that rather then making him more frustrating as they got closer, had him loosen up and become friendlier which made both the romance more realistic and avoided the hair-pulling feeling I usually get where I'd be like 'why would anyone even want to put the effort into romancing such a huge jerk???' My point is that his personality/main selling point wasn't 'tsundere', rather, he just happened to have some tsundere characteristics and was actually quite a well rounded character overall.
- Connor
I liked ghost/memory boy a lot. But I have to admit that I feel like he got a bit less screen time then the others, especially on his route, though I guess that's understandable since he was... you know, in a different plane of existence for most of the time lol. And even so, it didn't feel like he was neglected or anything. I also thought the surprise/mystery was beautifully done with him. It definitely took me by surprised when it was first revealed, but not in a 'where the heck did that come from' type of way, there were definitely all sorts of clues and hints that made the reveal make sense, without it making it obvious. In short, if Bridgette was my favorite romance and Karl was my favorite character development, then Connor was my favorite ending/overall route.
4:
What was that alien thing? I'm so curious about it, but I'm actually okay with not having figured it out in the game, I don't know everything in real life after all. Still, it would've been nice if it had gotten expanded upon a bit more imo. Especially whatever was trapped and controlling it, though DISCLAIMER it's entirely possible that it does get more attention in the endings I haven't gotten yet, so definitely just ignore this if that was the case, even if it isn't though it's not a huge deal.
5: I don't think I've said this before, but I really enjoyed the plot/setting as well. Most VNs are either set in a school (which tbh, isn't really my jam as I'm in my early 20s and no longer attend school) or a fantasy/royalty setting (which to be fair, I adore, I'm a sucker for a good fantasy game, especially if you're some sort of noble), so it was interesting to see something new.
I've played a few time-travely games, but not very many, and certainly none set on a cruise!
All and all I really enjoyed this game. Will definitely be eagerly awaiting future games of yours! Though unfortunately for me it sounds like 'The Rose of Segunda' is coming out the week I'm moving across several states so who knows when I'll actually find time to play it

Thanks again for the game, and good luck with future endeavors!

Sorry, this got super long, whoops.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

NiKaWo wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:42 pm I finally finished the other two routes! Though I haven't gotten all the endings
I think I got the three romance 'happy' endings? As previously mentioned,
I got Karl's ending where they solve it and go on a date on Bermuda, got the same ending path with Connor and Bridgette too. I was so worried that I didn't get all of the necessary points/make the 'best' choices with Connor though when he vanished on me. I was really happy when he appeared again haha
God, this. When I proofread his route I actually started crying when he appeared again. cx And I'm with you 100% on Bridgette, she's such a sweetie, honestly.

blackcross12
Regular

#10 Post by blackcross12 »

Thanks for the thorough feedback, NiKoWa, I'm glad you enjoyed the game overall and I'll make a note of what you mentioned to, I hope, improve future releases. ^_^