Seven Players [Horror, Drama]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Pandrena
Projects: Seven Players
Tumblr: pandrena
Soundcloud: mask child

Seven Players [Horror, Drama]

#1 Post by Pandrena »

Seven Players
"The story goes that a Joker God became bored and killed seven random people, only to bring them back immediately before any could be the wiser- but with a twist. The world they are brought back into is a mere copy of their old world created with the sole intention of being a playing field. The only way back to their old life, to be genuinely alive again with the true people they care about, is to win a god’s game."

This is the story presented in the WIP Horror/Drama visual novel, Seven Players. Featuring minigames involving playing an actual card game as well, the game is driven by text and interactions from the player. You get a route per character, with different results based on interactions, and learn about the cast as they pitch against each other to achieve the goal of "Life." There's seven players, and an eighth character who seems responsibly for it all...The Joker God, perhaps?

Game's Current Screenshots

There will be detailed information regarding the game's progress at the "Other" section of this post. However, for now, The Game's Progress is:

CGs: 11% complete
Soundtrack/Music: 40% complete
Length: N/A, but rather long
Rating: Rate Pending - contains graphic gore, blood, and language
Platforms: PC and Mac
Sprites: 0% (Placeholders 100%)
Backgrounds: 11%

The characters are listed below, with a tidbit of information about each. Please note the images are mostly placeholders - errors are to be updated in the final version. EDIT 2/14/18: I'm working on updating the placeholders now! Still placeholders, but you know.

Obi Tazu
Player 1 of the game - a college student, the creator of the game "Seven Players."

Ueto Mitsunari
Player 2 of the game - a freelance painter, of French and Japanese descent.

Deguchi Taki
Player 3 of the game - owner of a family restaurant, works out regularly

Hakino Uchi
Player 4 of the game - shepherd on the outskirts of the city. Shares her mother's name, "Uchino", but is called Uchi.

Hakino Uchino
Player 5 of the game - Policewoman, and Uchi's mother.

Adachi Kei
Player 6 of the game - Employee at Merc's antique shop, and brother of Obi's roommate. Loves anime.

Merc
Player 7 of the game - owner of the antique shop Kei works at - a poet, and a boss with a cruel streak.

Joker
Mysterious "referee" of the game - full identity unknown

Other
My name is Pandrena, and my tumblr can be found at http://pandrena.tumblr.com Meanwhile, the devblog for this game can be found at http://sevenplayers.tumblr.com This game was originally for RPG Maker, but has long since moved to Ren'Py. I look to share the game's current progress in this thread - maybe let people see and be interested. I've been on this forum before, but never for long, as my projects never properly got off the ground! Now, however, this project has been in works about a year and a half, with the "and a half" being in Ren'Py.

It's uncertain whether I'll make the game commercial - it's too early to see, I believe, though I put as much effort into it as I can regardless of my decision. Despite how long I've worked on it, however, there's little to see, but lots to plan and create. I do have enough to provide a demo soon, though, and I've had some people playtest recently. There may be voice acting, but it is not to be implemented until further into production. The game is horror, and features gore. The story itself also revolves around death, so you know...A warning for that as well.

I'm not sure what to present for starting a conversation, as I'm familiar with making visual novels - not so much advertising/sharing their progress. However! Thoughts on what you see, suggestions for what I can add to the game or this post, those are all very welcome to hear. Thank you for reading!
Last edited by Pandrena on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Seven Players [Horror, Drama]

#2 Post by Zelan »

I tend to be too much of a wimp for horror, but I make an effort to play games that really interest me, and this definitely qualifies. The concept of a malicious overlord (whether they're actually a god or not) tossing people around at their whim is fascinating to me. I'd love to see how each character deals with this.

I can't see any of the art because it's blocked on this computer, but I'd be willing to bet it's pretty good.

Pandrena

#3 Post by Pandrena »

Zelan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:45 pm I tend to be too much of a wimp for horror, but I make an effort to play games that really interest me, and this definitely qualifies. The concept of a malicious overlord (whether they're actually a god or not) tossing people around at their whim is fascinating to me. I'd love to see how each character deals with this.

I can't see any of the art because it's blocked on this computer, but I'd be willing to bet it's pretty good.
Ah, that's quite a compliment to wanna play it despite not being big with horror! Thanks for sharing your interest! :> They definitely all have their own way of adapting to the situation, and I'm glad you're looking forward to seeing that side of it! :D

フリークェンシー
Regular

#4 Post by フリークェンシー »

Hi Pandrena,

Do you by any chance have any positions open still?

TY,
FM

KouhaiChan
Regular
Projects: He Heard Me
Deviantart: KouhaiChan1
Soundcloud: KouhaiChan

#5 Post by KouhaiChan »

Just a recommendation, maybe change Ueto's upper body a bit? the back looks like the chest, and the chest looks like the back. I don't mean to be rude, but a suggestion from a fellow artist. I just started digital art a few days ago, usually I do traditional. The art scheme looks nice though, keep up the good work!

Pandrena

#6 Post by Pandrena »

KouhaiChan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:35 am Just a recommendation, maybe change Ueto's upper body a bit? the back looks like the chest, and the chest looks like the back. I don't mean to be rude, but a suggestion from a fellow artist. I just started digital art a few days ago, usually I do traditional. The art scheme looks nice though, keep up the good work!
Thanks! I actually am redoing the sprites at the moment ,aha. Those are months old now, so I'll keep in mind! Thanks for the tip!

Pandrena

#7 Post by Pandrena »

フリークェンシー wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:56 pm Hi Pandrena,

TY,
FM
Hello!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by positions open? Are we talking about voice acting, or visuals, or? Sorry, and thanks if you can clarify! :)

KouhaiChan
Regular
Projects: He Heard Me
Deviantart: KouhaiChan1
Soundcloud: KouhaiChan

#8 Post by KouhaiChan »

Pandrena wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:20 pm
KouhaiChan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:35 am Just a recommendation, maybe change Ueto's upper body a bit? the back looks like the chest, and the chest looks like the back. I don't mean to be rude, but a suggestion from a fellow artist. I just started digital art a few days ago, usually I do traditional. The art scheme looks nice though, keep up the good work!
Thanks! I actually am redoing the sprites at the moment ,aha. Those are months old now, so I'll keep in mind! Thanks for the tip!
I just looked at it again and it looks much better now, more natural :P

フリークェンシー
Regular

#9 Post by フリークェンシー »

Pandrena wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:22 pm

TY,
FM
Hello!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by positions open? Are we talking about voice acting, or visuals, or? Sorry, and thanks if you can clarify! :)
Sorry for that, I'll clarify, do you have any team positions available? Anything from writing, programming or visuals?
Thanks!

Opappi

#10 Post by Opappi »

I`m definitely bookmarking this! The concept seems from somewhere inbetween 999 and Death Parade combined with a Danganronpa-esque element on top.

The stylization looks rather unique and the basis for the idea is solid. As per the info you`ve given us so far, Player 1 seems like an interesting character, for more reasons then one..

Good luck with the project!

Pandrena

#11 Post by Pandrena »

TY,
FM
Hello!

[/quote]

Sorry for that, I'll clarify, do you have any team positions available? Anything from writing, programming or visuals?
Thanks!
[/quote]

Oh, I see now! I actually have been doing all of it myself, excluding the voice acting! I've thought about having some outside help with side visuals (Eg backgrounds - they really aren't my forte!), but I've sort of not had the funds until recently to actually pay anyone for anything. I could pay now though! If you're interested, we could talk about that! Not sure how PMS works on this site, or if you'd prefer email or something haha.

Pandrena

#12 Post by Pandrena »

フリークェンシー wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:56 pm
Thanks!
Oh, I see now! I actually have been doing all of it myself, excluding the voice acting! I've thought about having some outside help with side visuals (Eg backgrounds - they really aren't my forte!), but I've sort of not had the funds until recently to actually pay anyone for anything. I could pay now though! If you're interested, we could talk about that! Not sure how PMS works on this site, or if you'd prefer email or something haha.
[/quote]