Whale's Waldo [NaNo18][parody][dating sim][travel]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
PMscenarios
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo
Projects: In Blood, Xenopathy
Tumblr: pmscenarios
itch: pmscenarios

Whale's Waldo [NaNo18][parody][dating sim][travel]

#1 Post by PMscenarios »

Exotic locations, fun excursions, cute ...sea creatures?

Whale's Waldo has been released! See more here

Whale's Waldo started as a twitter post and soon grew into a small-scale idea and a collaboration project for this year's Nanoreno.
We're a group of devs with various experience creating VNs coming together to bring ppl some sea creature animal love!

Every path is sort of stand-alone, with the protag visiting a location from Waldo's letter, meeting one of the "boys" and getting to know them, and then travelling on to the next location.

The Story
You play as Ocean (renameable protag) who has recently returned home to New York City after an extended time away thanks to a stress-induced mental breakdown.

You and your childhood friend, Waldo, have always communicated with each other via lovingly handwritten letters where he details his adventures during his world travels. However, your hopes of learning about his latest exploits are dashed when you find that he hasn’t sent a single letter during the entire time you were away.

Resolved to learn what’s happened to your friend, you decide to travel to the location of his last letter – Bodo, in Norway – to see if you can find him. As your search reveals no leads, you continue to retrace his steps to the Philippines and then back to the United States, to see if he’s either returned there, or if any of the locals there happen to know what may have happened to him.

During your travels, you’ll meet and potentially befriend a wide variety of animals. With some luck, and if you play your cards right, you may even find someone – and somewhere – to settle down.

The Boys
Waldo the Sperm Whale
Waldo is your childhood friend, and you grew up together in Rochester, New York. A little more than a year before the game starts, he left to travel the world, claiming that he just needed to see new sights, experience new things, and see if he found a place he thought he fit in. You’d always suspected there’s more to it than that, and after you return home to find that his usual letters have stopped coming, you set out to find him.

Stein the Sea Urchin
Stein is a cold, obnoxious urchin you meet on a ferry in Bodo, Norway. He has a secret passion that he may share with you, but he can also be a bit oblivious at times. If you manage to work your way through his hard exterior, he’ll warm up to you, and you might find that his punchy candidness is exactly what you’ve been missing in your life.

Octavio the blue ringed octopus
Octavio is a serious, uptight octopus who has grown distrustful of foreigners and visitors. He runs a hotel in Anilao in the Philippines. If you can show him that you’re responsible and considerate, you may find that he's stuck on you.

Leonard the Leaf Sheep Sea Slug
Leonard is a small, cheerful slug who finds the positives in any situation, but wishes that his size didn’t make him so dependent on others. Despite being forgetful, he turns out to be an excellent guide to the city of San Francisco, California. If you manage to make enough of an impression on him, he may discover that you’re the big thing missing from his life.

Jacob the Great White
Jacob runs a bakery in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and would like nothing more than to fatten up bring joy to all humans with his delicious treats. If you manage to avoid his more forward advances and befriend him, you may discover that you’ve found someone you can share the rest of your life with.

Marine Dateologists:
Team lead:
PMscenarios
Writer lead:
BobConway

Writers:
CrouchingBacon
Scribbles

Artists:
nimbusphoenix
Mado
Knickers PJ
CrouchingBacon
Last edited by PMscenarios on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:59 am, edited 9 times in total.
ImageImageImage

PMscenarios
Regular

Re: Whale's Waldo [NaNo18][parody][dating sim][travel]

#2 Post by PMscenarios »

We're off!

Concept art by CrouchingBacon

We have gotten an official group itchio - Marine Dateologists
Our progress can be followed more closely on our tumblr: Whale's Waldo

and we welcome our newest team member - Tomality, who'll be doing music for the project - soundcloud
ImageImageImage

ParrotWatcher
Regular
Completed: Unearth your Gays
Projects: Lovecraft Academy
Tumblr: parrotwatcher
itch: parrotwatcher

#3 Post by ParrotWatcher »

I think I've just found my boyfriend's new favourite game...

(I'm assuming that the protagonist will be gender-unspecified; is that the case?)

Good luck with the game. :D

EDIT: He was disappointed that there wasn't a squid to romance... :lol: But he did agree that the octopus was cute...
Please check out my BL WiP, Lovecraft Academy!

PMscenarios
Regular

#4 Post by PMscenarios »

ParrotWatcher wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:18 am (I'm assuming that the protagonist will be gender-unspecified; is that the case?)
Currently the protag is unspecified, yes. If we end up needing it we might implement a player gender selection. Overall we want as many as possible to be able to experience sea creature love! :wink:
Good luck with the game. :D
Thank you! :)
EDIT: He was disappointed that there wasn't a squid to romance... :lol: But he did agree that the octopus was cute...
Aww, we're sorry about the lack of squid boy, but Octavio is pretty great and many-armed too. ^^
ImageImageImage

Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

#5 Post by Sayumi101 »

Okay, the blushing frames of the sea-creatures is making me laugh more than I should. It's just so adorable.
Loving the 'character descriptions' so far and the synopsis is pure gold...
Kind of hung up on how the shark is a baker. haha.
Good luck on this project! I can't wait to see what you'll do with these characters!
ImageImageImage

arcadeparty
Completed: Tomai, Cupid Date
Projects: AWOO!, Love and Formaldehyde
itch: arcadeparty

#6 Post by arcadeparty »

I remember seeing this on Twitter; it looks super cute, and I'm loving the concept art! (Especially Octavio's, I cracked up when I saw the lower right one.) Kind of hoping there's lots of marine facts dropped at totally inappropriate points in the conversation, haha. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call
Projects: http://bobcgames.com
Tumblr: bobcgames
itch: bobcgames

#7 Post by bobconway »

Thank you for the comments and interest, everyone! I'm excited with how things are progressing, so far.

We're just cranking through writing at his point, and hopefully we'll have sprites and art to show soon.

We've been tweeting with the hashtag #whaleswaldo if you want more random thoughts as we make progress. :)

See my other games here or find me on Twitter

PMscenarios
Regular

#8 Post by PMscenarios »

Things are moving along swimmingly - and we have some more sketches and work-in-progress stuff:
Adorable Stein sketches by Mado

Octavio and Jacob tests by Nimbusphoenix

Waldo sketch by Bacon

Had a little set-back with our musician having to drop out, but hopefully everything will come together by month's end :)
Last edited by PMscenarios on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

PMscenarios
Regular

#9 Post by PMscenarios »

We've done a lot of writing, Bob has created a cool travel transition screen:

PMscenarios made a temp Leonard sprite for sprite staging (he's very chubby. I don't know why. :lol: )

Aand, Stein's sprites are done!! :mrgreen:
Mado has done an amazing job with the spiky ball of grumpiness. There's so many amazing faces to discover.
Here's a sneak peak at some of them:

(Also, main project info updated with pics and info)
ImageImageImage

PMscenarios
Regular

#10 Post by PMscenarios »

More finished sprites, everything is coming together!

Our old childhood friend Waldo, by CrouchingBacon:

The very hospitable great white Jacob, by nimbusphoenix:
ImageImageImage

PMscenarios
Regular

#11 Post by PMscenarios »

Oh, no! I can't believe I forgot to show off our 2 last boys!

Leonard is now finished - Sprites by the awesome Knickers PJ who stepped in at the last moment

Aand some of Octavio's expression, curtesy of Nimbusphoenix

All substantial art assets are done, 99% of the game is finished staged and coded, we're going into these 2 last days with only polishing and details left to go :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call

#12 Post by bobconway »

The Marine Dateologists are happy to announce that Whale's Waldo is finished! And we are looking for some last-minute beta testers, before we release tomorrow. (Please send me and/or PMscenarios a private message if you're interested!)

Scribbles did an awesome job with the title screen:

Your lovely hermit crab neighbor, lovingly rendered by Knickers PJ, comes bearing gifts in the form of warm cookies:

Stein, via the talents of Mado and written by PMscenarios, really enjoys singing:

You may find yourself at an inn managed by the feisty Octavio, written by CrouchingBacon and drawn by nimbusphoenix:

The tiny Leonard will be your guide to San Francisco, drawn by Knickers PJ and written by me:

Keep one eye on Jacob, beautifully rendered by nimbusphoenix and written by Scribbles:

bobconway
Regular

#13 Post by bobconway »

Just to link this all up: The game is done!

The Completed Games topic is here and you can download the game at https://marinedateologists.itch.io/whaleswaldo