I can't build distributions anymore [solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Cart

I can't build distributions anymore [solved]

#1 Post by Cart »

Hi !

I wanted to send a first version of my game to a friend of mine, so i built a distribution.
I've made some changes and I want to send him the new one, but it looks like I can't build distribution anymore...

I get the following error :

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xa8 in position 3: ordinal not in range(128)

While running game code:
 - script at line 108 of renpy-6.6.1/data/distribute.rpy
 - python at line 247 of renpy-6.6.1/data/distribute.rpy.
 - python at line 89 of renpy-6.6.1/data/distribute.rpy.
 - python at line 68 of renpy-6.6.1/data/distribute.rpy.
 - python at line 26 of renpy-6.6.1/data/distribute.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Bureau\Brice\vrac\renpy\renpy-6.6.1\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 210, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Bureau\Brice\vrac\renpy\renpy-6.6.1\renpy\main.py", line 303, in main
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Bureau\Brice\vrac\renpy\renpy-6.6.1\renpy\main.py", line 92, in run
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Bureau\Brice\vrac\renpy\renpy-6.6.1\renpy\execution.py", line 199, in run
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Bureau\Brice\vrac\renpy\renpy-6.6.1\renpy\ast.py", line 554, in execute
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Bureau\Brice\vrac\renpy\renpy-6.6.1\renpy\python.py", line 880, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy-6.6.1/data/distribute.rpy", line 247, in <module>
  File "renpy-6.6.1/data/distribute.rpy", line 89, in tree
  File "renpy-6.6.1/data/distribute.rpy", line 68, in include
  File "renpy-6.6.1/data/distribute.rpy", line 26, in ignored
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xa8 in position 3: ordinal not in range(128)

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.6.1c
Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks.
Last edited by Cart on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Support Hero

Re: I can't build distributions anymore

#2 Post by Jake »

Cart wrote: I've made some changes and I want to send him the new one, but it looks like I can't build distribution anymore...

Code: Select all

I seem to recall this coming up before, and the cause being that a file had a non-ASCII name. ASCII has few, if any, of the extended European accented character set, and practically no other non-English/Latin characters. Have you renamed any of your files recently?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Cart

Re: I can't build distributions anymore

#3 Post by Cart »

Thanks.

Actually it was not a file I'm using in my game, but it was a file from this friend I was talking about that should not have been in my game folder at all....

Thanks^^;