Mistakes Were Made [NaNo18][Modern Slice Of Life][Visual novel][Romance]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
SlimeBunnyTV
Regular
Projects: Mistakes Were Made, Beyond You!
Tumblr: HexVexed
itch: HexVexed

Mistakes Were Made [NaNo18][Modern Slice Of Life][Visual novel][Romance]

#1 Post by SlimeBunnyTV »

ui_update_main.png
ui_update_cg.png
It's hard being an ex-pop star... Wait, since when?

Progress:
Character art things.
Video Progress | 21/04
Video Progress | 20/04
Video Progress | 18/03
Video Progress | 13/03
Video Progress | 12/03
itch.io | dev blog

Premise & Plot
Paige lived a sheltered life in the spotlight, and came out the other side worse for it all. She can't even sing anymore, something she made millions for only a few years ago. It's a shame all that money remained with the record company, and somehow she still owes them a few million more. While writing lyrics for the new wave of pop stars is okay, Paige can't help but feel like there's more out there for her than lyrics.

But what?

The majority of this was made on the 12th of March onwards. I've had the story written out for a while, though the development in the middle was fuzzy so that's gonna be the main challenge. Any assets that existed before the beginning of the project will (ideally) be replaced, but there is only really character sprites.

Themes/Warnings
This disclaimer is for those who may be impacted by dark themes. It details (in loose terms) themes explored through the visual novel.
This visual novel will include mentions of anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, assault, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, PTSD, self-harm, transphobia, homophobia, sexism, isolation, hopelessness, financial burden and potentially other triggering topics. There are segments of simulated panic attacks via images and sound. While the aim is to not be gratuitous, if you are sensitive to the above mentioned subject matter, please proceed with caution.
Character

Paige Reed
Ex-popstar and full time lyricist; Paige has lived in the spotlight from when she was twelve until... Well, two years ago. Now, she has a hard time outside and she cannot stand bars. Yet, that's where she finds herself, after months of badgering from...

Anna Raymonds
Professional skateboarder and currently a bassist; after a bad fall from their board, Anna ended up with more time on their hands than they know what to do with. They do not understand being told they can't have something or to chill out. This causes a number of issues between themself and their managers. They were the one who took encouraged Paige to escape the stranglehold of her manager, and of...

Murdoc Matthews (WIP)
Murdoc acted as security for Paige when she was on tour, and holds himself responsible for what happened to her. Due to a mutual friend with Anna, he's been hooked into a band with her. He's a singer and guitarist, while Anna plays bass. Their friend, Ryan, used to skateboard professionally before he retired to do music. Murdoc? After Paige escaped, he lost his job as tour security and bounces from festival to festival. Sometimes he's a personal bodyguard, but mainly he writes.

TBA
Bri Hyde | Ryan | Adam

Screenshots
dev_03.png
dev_02.png
006.png
007.png

Goals
- Finish my first game(!!!!!).
- Four endings, one good and one bad for each romantic path.
- Impact in player choices, variables that have an impact on options.
- Cohesive graphics for Paige, Murdoc, Anna and Bri.
- At least part one of the story; the exit of Adam.

Team
Just me, SlimeBunnyTV.

Tidbits
This is information that will likely come up in the game, but is important to note somewhere in the canon.
- Paige is 5'0" (though she wears 3" heels AT LEAST when out), Bri is 5'6", Murdoc is 6'0" and Anna is 6"3. Adam is a garbage'fire".
- This was Anna's original design.
- Anna is nonbinary, she/they pronouns. They tend to stick to the middle of the spectrum, with a skew towards masculine. They're indifferent to pronouns, but I tend to keep to the gender neutral.
- Murdoc was AFAB, and transitioned socially at the age of six (really, his whole life, he 100% rejected his birth name and his parents were A-OK with that). His medical transition began at the age of eleven, under the approval of a child psychologist, his parents and his own choice.
Attachments
dev_05.png
WOOPWOOPWOPP.png
Last edited by SlimeBunnyTV on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Dating Sims meets Horror, Beyond You!
Artist & Writer & Coder & Overachiever for Mistakes Were Made.

poorlyformed
Regular
Projects: Shadowburg
Tumblr: poorlyformed
itch: poorlyformed

Re: Mistakes Were Made [NaNo18][Modern Slice Of Life][Visual novel][Romance]

#2 Post by poorlyformed »

oh, I love your art style. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

SlimeBunnyTV
Regular

#3 Post by SlimeBunnyTV »

poorlyformed wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:17 pm oh, I love your art style. Looking forward to seeing more of this.
Thank you so much! Yeah, I'm an artist primarily so this is a way to learn some coding without being too complicated. My Instagram & Tumblr have more of my other art! I hope you enjoy what ya see moving forward. ^_^

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

#4 Post by Boniae »

Whoa!! Your art looks awesome and I'm really loving the premise. :D I'm super interested in playing this when it comes out, good luck with the development!!! (And I admire you for doing everything yourself, it's no easy feat!)

SlimeBunnyTV
Regular

#5 Post by SlimeBunnyTV »

Boniae wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:18 pm Whoa!! Your art looks awesome and I'm really loving the premise. :D I'm super interested in playing this when it comes out, good luck with the development!!! (And I admire you for doing everything yourself, it's no easy feat!)
Visual novels allow me to nitpick my art but also progress story, so it brings all the elements together for me. (Also hours of tumblr theme editing and MySpace code has turned into visual novels......) Thank you so much! I hope I can do the story justice, I'm worried about not having enough exposition or too much. The NaNoRenO is gonna probably be a 'first chapter' thing.

Also, still playing with sprite styles but GOSH am I happier now Paige is less of a bobblehead.
theslowglowup.png
theslowglowupppp.png

femslashfatale
Regular
Projects: Match Made in Heaven, Worlds Without You, Fight or Flirt!

#6 Post by femslashfatale »

i love your art!! im also interested in ur trans characters, i loooove anna's design

SlimeBunnyTV
Regular

#7 Post by SlimeBunnyTV »

femslashfatale wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:11 am i love your art!! im also interested in ur trans characters, i loooove anna's design
Yeah, Murdoc was someone I wanted to do justice to, so I'm gonna make sure to touch base with people throughout the writing process. I feel equipped to cover Anna's situation as someone who's nonbinary & researched into it, but I'd hate to make a blanket statement for any one group. I'm going to do my best with it though!

Right now I'm still trying to inject player choice in a somewhat meaningful way... I hope I can at least have an interesting demo by the end of the month!!

SlimeBunnyTV
Regular

#8 Post by SlimeBunnyTV »

New sprites in action & a video added up the top. I've started playing with music, and have a musician working on the songs!

My boyfriend, Brendan, thank you buddy.

I'm aiming to have a chunky demo/concept piece by the end of the month though I doubt I'll have a FULL release of a game.
xoxo_01.png
amess.png
Attachments
spriteupdate_paige_01.png

milkteebaby
Regular
Projects: PS: I Love You
Tumblr: milkteebaby
Deviantart: milkteebaby

#9 Post by milkteebaby »

I really do love the artwork you're using. Good luck and I look forward to your progress!

SlimeBunnyTV
Regular

#10 Post by SlimeBunnyTV »

milkteebaby wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:27 am I really do love the artwork you're using. Good luck and I look forward to your progress!
Thank you! Current challenges are the idea of CGs (like what style to do them........ ack) and updating character designs so they're on a similar level. While I'm drawing, I'm working thru the potential character plots. So much to do. The kind words helps immensely!

Widdershins
Regular
Completed: Burdock
Projects: Bright Oak
Organization: Butterfly Rocket Studios
Tumblr: brightoakgame
itch: ButterflyRocket
Discord: Widdershins_Writes

#11 Post by Widdershins »

Really digging your style, and intrigued by your characters! Best of luck to you!
ImageImage
Follow Bright Oak's progress on Itch ✨ Tumblr

SlimeBunnyTV
Regular

#12 Post by SlimeBunnyTV »

Widdershins wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:46 pm Really digging your style, and intrigued by your characters! Best of luck to you!
TBH, this challenge has made me work on my style and get better at cleaning stuff up and gosh! I already feel the improvement.

Thank you for the kind words! I updated the character sprites for Murdoc and Anna above.... I'm so excited.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#13 Post by Zelan »

This looks like a really cool project! Anna is probably my favorite character so far, are they one of the love interests?

And I'm 100% behind a Hufflepuff protagonist. It's the best house, after all.

SlimeBunnyTV
Regular

#14 Post by SlimeBunnyTV »

Zelan wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:08 pm This looks like a really cool project! Anna is probably my favorite character so far, are they one of the love interests?

And I'm 100% behind a Hufflepuff protagonist. It's the best house, after all.
Anna is definitely a love interest! They're the one trying to get Paige out of her shell, teasing her and generally being in her face. (Here's some old art about 'em, whether it comes across to the game.)
bleb.PNG

SlimeBunnyTV
Regular

#15 Post by SlimeBunnyTV »

I spent a night working on assets and character studies, and did another 2k~ of writing.