What is your primary key on making a visual Novel?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Violet_Isoindolinone

What is your primary key on making a visual Novel?

#1 Post by Violet_Isoindolinone »

Not really to bother you all~
but i've debated with someone about this topic~
so i will keep it simple and sweet, What is your Opinion about this Thread's Question?

Note: in your PoV as a single human being
Thanks~

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: What is your primary key on making a visual Novel?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I don't understand the question. What do you mean, "what is your primary key"?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

I also do not understand what is meant by primarybkey.
I have a couple of ideas, but discussing something based on a guess of what that subject even is, is silly.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#4 Post by Fuseblower »

My primary key is always an integer that is automatically increased when a new row is inserted (either by a trigger or simply a thing that the DBMS provides) and has a name that is the name of the table suffixed by "_PK". Some purists think this is a "Bad Thing" because it would add a superfluous column. After all : there should always be some combination of columns that has a unique value for each row but, personally, I think the ease of use (think of foreign keys, for example) outweighs such academic considerations.

Well, I gave it a shot :wink:

Violet_Isoindolinone

#5 Post by Violet_Isoindolinone »

trooper6 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:16 pm I don't understand the question. What do you mean, "what is your primary key"?
i mean like your main point / outstanding / Prominent Features / Your main focus on making a visual novel
like someone who wanted to make his/her VN was making his/her primary key on Storyline and then some of them was focusing on Character design for selling reason, etc~

Thanks

Violet_Isoindolinone

#6 Post by Violet_Isoindolinone »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:57 pm I also do not understand what is meant by primarybkey.
I have a couple of ideas, but discussing something based on a guess of what that subject even is, is silly.
i mean like your main point / outstanding / Prominent Features / Your main focus on making a visual novel
like someone who wanted to make his/her VN was making his/her primary key on Storyline and then some of them was focusing on Character design for selling reason, etc~

Thanks

Violet_Isoindolinone

#7 Post by Violet_Isoindolinone »

Fuseblower wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:38 pm My primary key is always an integer that is automatically increased when a new row is inserted (either by a trigger or simply a thing that the DBMS provides) and has a name that is the name of the table suffixed by "_PK". Some purists think this is a "Bad Thing" because it would add a superfluous column. After all : there should always be some combination of columns that has a unique value for each row but, personally, I think the ease of use (think of foreign keys, for example) outweighs such academic considerations.

Well, I gave it a shot :wink:
Yeah, that word is used for people from DMBS Field~
sorry, i'm too into programming

Thanks

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by trooper6 »

Hm...based on your explanation, my "primary key" is: "big concept."

So the game I'm working on at the moment (well...when I have time...which is not as much as I'd like), has a couple of high concepts. One is: If the character you control is a terrible person, is it winning to help them get away with their terrible things or is willing sabotaging the Main Character? This is just a short 10 minute game. The other main concept is: test out a bunch of complicated Python stuff to give me practice for when I make a bigger game. There are some other gameplay concepts I'm playing with...but I won't spoil those.

I want to come back to the concept of encouraging disconnect between player and main character in another, longer game. But other high concepts might be:
-Game exploring non gendered characters in a romance sim.
-A game that has a time crunch that also deals with needing to eat and sleep in an interesting way.

Or whatever.

So...I go with concept.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Violet_Isoindolinone

#9 Post by Violet_Isoindolinone »

trooper6 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:27 pm Hm...based on your explanation, my "primary key" is: "big concept."

So the game I'm working on at the moment (well...when I have time...which is not as much as I'd like), has a couple of high concepts. One is: If the character you control is a terrible person, is it winning to help them get away with their terrible things or is willing sabotaging the Main Character? This is just a short 10 minute game. The other main concept is: test out a bunch of complicated Python stuff to give me practice for when I make a bigger game. There are some other gameplay concepts I'm playing with...but I won't spoil those.

I want to come back to the concept of encouraging disconnect between player and main character in another, longer game. But other high concepts might be:
-Game exploring non gendered characters in a romance sim.
-A game that has a time crunch that also deals with needing to eat and sleep in an interesting way.

Or whatever.

So...I go with concept.
Thanks for your honest answer
i really appreciate it~

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#10 Post by Imperf3kt »

So basically you're asking whats my "hook"?

I've got a small assortment of projects going at the moment. Mostly for trying out features and learning new concepts, so I'll stick to my main project.

I am somewhat tired of playing visual novels where the only objective is to decide between 'choice A, B, C and D'
So I'm attempting to create an engaging game where your actions control the story, rather than giving the player a multiple-choice pop quiz.

I cannot explain it very well, so I hope this is enough to convey my thoughts.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#11 Post by Fuseblower »

Ah! A hook. Well, I never gave it much thought but when I look at my projects ("Tenkeiteki Tokyo", "The Doomed Diner", the current NaNo "Cat and Cavy") I notice something : I do a lot of research.

The backgrounds of Tenkeiteki Tokyo are all based on existing places in Tokyo (even down to studying grainy photos of the battleship Yamato), there are word jokes in Japanese and references to manga and Japanese culture and current affairs. For the Doomed Diner I looked at American Streamlined architecture, old horror comics of the 50s and car hop uniforms of the 40s. And now for Cat and Cavy I take my cues from old 70s crime shows, shots of San Francisco, stuff like cat breeds, etc.

So, I guess that's my "Primary Key", to base my stuff on the real world, attention to small details that probably no one notices :lol:

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#12 Post by Donmai »

Fuseblower wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:29 am So, I guess that's my "Primary Key", to base my stuff on the real world, attention to small details that probably no one notices
You're not alone.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

propanoll
Regular
Projects: Left of Center, Night at the Hospital, The Buried Moon, RA: Allegiance
Tumblr: propanoll
Deviantart: shotafied

#13 Post by propanoll »

Hmm... I guess my current primary key is "deliverability"? Like, the scope and concept of the project has fit.

Let's say that there is an idea, Project01. After cooking Project01 for quite some time, it turns out that the scope's too big for it to be released by a set period of time (say, 1 year). In this case, Project01 will either be scrapped or thinned down : D

There's little point in creating a project that has a low chance of being released, really. Maybe it gives personal satisfaction, but eeh. I can get personal satisfaction from PLAYING games instead : D

Gotta be realistic when working on a project, y'know?
Image Image

Violet_Isoindolinone

#14 Post by Violet_Isoindolinone »

Interesting, i've learned a lot of thing from this thread
Thanks guys ~

but...
i haven't see someone from "Commersial PoV", i would like to see one if possible

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by trooper6 »

My current game will be free, but I did commission an artist and pay them...so I’ve been spending money...and future games may well be commercial...but it won’t change my hook into the game. I am interested in big concepts. That is what inspires me to create...that won’t change if the game is commercial or not. I have the luxury of having a full time job, so even if I sell my games, I can focus a on the things that I find inspiring and interesting.
A Close Shave: