Pairs [Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Romance] [NaNo17] Sequel Game Demo Out Now!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Pairs [Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Romance] [NaNo17] Steam, here we come!

#16 Post by Zelan »

I finished all 8 endings!! You did a really fantastic job on this VN, I'm so blown away by it. (I filled out the survey linked in the OP, by the way!)

The writing was so high quality - there were enough references to the lore of the universe that the characters lived in to give me a general idea of the context that these characters were operating under, but it never felt forced or like an infodump. The little tastes of the world had me really feel immersed in it.

Carmelita and Ricardo were such sweeties, and they were really cute together! I enjoyed reading their routes. I think you really captured the uncertainty of the shift between longtime friends and a couple, and how people adjust to it in different ways and at different speeds.
The implications behind Carmelita's bad end were surprisingly dark, with that whole idea that she was just using him when she started dating him, but it made sense to the story and I thought that you wrote Ricardo's heartbreak really well. It was probably my favorite of all the bad ends. (Although I'd have to say something good for Ricardo's bad end, too - it was probably the 'best' bad end in that I feel like the two of them probably became friends again after a period of awkwardness. So, I'd imagine that's the bad ending that left the most people happy.)
Even though I liked Carmelita and Ricardo the best as a couple, I have to say that James and Kitten were probably my two favorite characters. (Funny, right?) It was great ready about their tenuous and somewhat explosive relationship (and, my god, the time in his route that he hugged her or the part in her route where she put him in her pod had me practically screaming), and you wrote the complexities surrounding their relationship really well. However, I felt like both of them shone the brightest as their own character. James's snarkiness talking to Hana or Mei was absolutely to die for, and I love how headstrong and confident Kitten is. Her conversations with her father really gave me a lot of respect for her as well.

Probably the only thing that I could call a 'disappointment' was the lack of CGs, but hey, it was a NaNo project, and by the time I'd gotten halfway through the endings, I'd stopped caring about it. Still, it'd be something to consider for a possible sequel - I have such a weakness for romance CGs, it's not even funny.

The soundtrack was amazing, as expected - I've been a fan of Noyemi K's work for a while. It's like... my secret dream to work with her on a project someday, haha. I just need money and a solid idea first. Same can be said for the GUI - I adore Atomic-Invasion's work, the first time a choice screen came up, I just stopped and watched how fluid the hover image was. The first thought that came to mind was, "Jeez, that is some sexy GUI."

tl;dr I really wish I'd played this sooner oh my gosh ;-; it was fantastic!! Now to go leave you a good Steam review. ^_^

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#17 Post by pyopyon »

@Zelan. Q u Q Thanks for playing through to the end! And thanks so much for filling out the survey as well! It's helped me make some decisions for the sequel, so I really appreciate it! Yayyy, I'm glad that the world-building didn't feel forced! Mostly because Pairs universe existed before the game and when you know lots of lore, it's hard to cherry pick what's important for the reader to know. I did add some gratuitous details (mostly in James' route since he likes to watch the news.) but still, good to know that it wasn't too much.

Oh, gosh I am so glad. Carmelita and Ricardo are often over-shadowed is the other couple so it's nice to see that you liked them! And thanks!! I actually take those kind of complements to heart because I... have never been in a relationship LOL #OutsideLookin'In. A lot of my romantic writing is projection and imagination, so thanks very much! >w<
I'm glad you noticed that! Ricardo's bad end mentions that her parents wouldn't have let her off their property if it weren't for his being an illusionist. It's tragic but it's easy to imagine that in some way, if you made her choose the bad choices--decisions that didn't force her to think about change--she would still be depending on or clinging to Ricardo for protection, hence their bad ending. I guess I do agree with you--Ricardo's bad ending was probably the most optimistic.
You could probably also argue that James' bad ending is one of the better ones since he does get his parents back and KP won't even remember being hurt by him... but maybe that's a different kind of sad. //thinks........ Hm. Maybe it's the lack of closure?
Actually, your sentiments are echoed! Well, sort of. KP and James are both loved, separately and as a couple. As I mentioned, Carmelita and Ricardo's routes are a bit overshadowed. That's okay though! Hahaha, I'm glad you liked their antics! I think it's interesting for James because if you play KP's route first, he seems really... normal? And then you find out that he's like a huge liar and cynical and almost as morally shady. LOL. Ricardo and Carmelita's relationships are much more dependent on each other--probably because they work together, train together, grew up together, and even his powers are intertwined with hers... but KP and James live VERY different lives with different worries and everyday problems. If you think about it objectively, they're not really the kind of couple that would click at first sight, and yet they're together. If I can say so, one of my favorite scenes is the scene where KP presses him as to whether he likes her legs or not. James is actually pretty attracted to KP, but he would never say it out loud, so I always think of that scene as a subtle test of wills as to whether he'll actually compliment her.

He never does though, haha. Neeeeever. All those thoughts stay right in his mind. :^) But, of course, his being such an internal person is what makes his route such a pleasant read juxtaposed against KP's.

I'm sorry about the CGs! I'd love to change that, but I can't give any guarantees... that said, if you scroll up a bit in this thread, there's a nice romantic Carmelita and Ricardo CG in post #10! Please enjoy that! ^^;; Maybe because there are only two routes, there could be time? I'm not sure. We'll see!

Noyemi put her FOOT in those tracks, tbh. I still listen to them >_>;; A-I's GUI also really tied everything together. I don't know what I would do without it. Pairs wouldn't look and feel nearly as polished without the hard work of everyone on this project. I'm honestly still really grateful. Thank you so much for the positive Steam review! Waaaah, I'm really happy you enjoyed Pairs so much! I feel like if you enjoyed Pairs, then you'll really enjoy what's coming this NaNo... :mrgreen:
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#18 Post by Zelan »

This NaNo, you say??? Yes please.

And yes, I did see Shida's art in the thread, it's so cuuuute! It's cool to see the "strings," too, I was wondering what they looked like to Ricardo. c:

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#19 Post by pyopyon »

Oh! I feel like I should update this thread to say that, if you haven't seen/noticed it yet, the demo for Pairs' companion sequel, "Singles" has been released!

You can download it here, on itch.io!
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿