Error output hook

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
pastblasters

Error output hook

#1 Post by pastblasters »

I am wondering if there exists any way to hook into the error output (the notifications that Ren'Py displays on screen when playing the game and experiencing an error or crash). I am working on some post-deployment analytics tools, and it would be very useful to be able to collect at least some of this information to be transmitted via HTTP. I've been playing around with ways to try and capture stderr in Python, but no techniques seem to be compatible with Ren'Py. Since Ren'Py itself is intercepting and displaying stack traces and error messages, I feel like there has to be some way this can be accomplished. Does anybody have an idea?

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Error output hook

#2 Post by Ocelot »

The only way is to modify RenPy source. It is not supported officially: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50144#p487029
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

pastblasters

Re: Error output hook

#3 Post by pastblasters »

Well, shucks.