How to get rid of some kind of transition at game start?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Lumi Violet

How to get rid of some kind of transition at game start?

#1 Post by Lumi Violet »

I'm pretty new to ren'py, especially the newest version, so forgive me if this is a bad or easily answered question. I'd like to be more specific but I don't know enough to be more specific or how to find the answer to this question on my own.

I created a new project, but I've noticed that every time you start the game there's some kind of transition where the text box appears in a fading sort of way. This is a bit of a problem for me, because I had the game start with text that isn't using the textbox. It opens looking like this: https://i.imgur.com/40eIENP.gif

I put text that doesn't use the textbox at the start of the game using this code (which worked in a previous version of ren'py without issue):

Code: Select all

define O = Character(None,
                            what_size=20,
                            what_outlines=[(3, "#000000", 0, 0)],
                            what_layout="subtitle",
                            what_xalign=0.5,
                            what_text_align=0.5,
                            window_background=None,
                            window_yminimum=0,
                            window_xfill=False,
                            window_xalign=0.5,
                            window_yalign=0.5)
This is the simple code that I have put for the game start.

label start:

scene black

O "test"
As far as I can tell, there's some kind of default textbox fade in transition (sorry if using the wrong words), that appears when the game starts, but I don't understand why or how to stop it. This is what it looks like if you have normal textbox text at the start of the game. https://i.imgur.com/awRqUO0.gif. Again, sorry if this is a simple/silly question to be asking, I just can't find a way to deal with it with how I'm searching for it.

Lumi Violet

Re: How to get rid of some kind of transition at game start?

#2 Post by Lumi Violet »

Basically what I mean is that for some reason the textbox is set to by default when the games starts, and I have no idea where to locate where that's programmed or how to change it.

IrinaLazareva
Veteran
Projects: Legacy
Organization: SunShI

#3 Post by IrinaLazareva »

find in options.rpy (~ 108th line):

define config.window = "auto"
and try to change it

define config.window = "hide"

ocimpean

#4 Post by ocimpean »

I believe I have a similar problem but I can not see the gif posted by the original poster.

On each new scene, say 'Scene black', the textbox blinks in and out of existence, when it should not be there. I don't understand what is causing it, but everything started when I created a custom textbox. When I get home, I will try to see if the above solution applies for me too, if not will post a new request for help thread, with more detail.

ocimpean

#5 Post by ocimpean »

@IrinaLazareva: This seems to solve my problem. Thank you for your help.