Is there any way I can expand or rid of the image limit?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ludibrium

Is there any way I can expand or rid of the image limit?

#1 Post by Ludibrium »

At some point when ren'py loads too many images, it stops being able to load any more of them. I know this is true because it can be fixed using the hide command on images that came before, which is inconvenient when I have to do it manually for every single time a sprite changes.I haven't been able to find documentation on this. It seems like at some point the transitions fail to run too.

What I want to happen is either for whatever image that came before to actually be replaced rather than overlaid over, or for this limit to be expanded to how much I need it to be.

kivik
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Is there any way I can expand or rid of the image limit?

#2 Post by kivik »

Are you talking about just normal Ren'py images or are you using python functions to display images?

If you're just doing normal Ren'py images, then it sounds like you're not defining your images correctly: you should be using image tags, e.g.:

Code: Select all

image eileen = "eileen.png"
image eileen happy = "eileen_happy.png"
image eileen sad = "eileen_sad.pn"

label start:
    show eileen
    "Hi!"
    show eileen happy # this will swap out eileen and replace it with eileen happy
    "I'm now happy and normal eileen is gone!"
    show eileen sad # swap out eileen happy and replace it with eileen sad
    "Now you've sent happy eileen away and only sad eileen remains." 
Also if you haven't done anything special with the layers, you can clear all on screen images with the scene command.

I'd recommend you re-read this page of the documentation to understand how images work in Renpy: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/displaying_images.html

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

#3 Post by mitoky »

kivik wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:10 am Are you talking about just normal Ren'py images or are you using python functions to display images?

If you're just doing normal Ren'py images, then it sounds like you're not defining your images correctly: you should be using image tags, e.g.:

Code: Select all

image eileen = "eileen.png"
image eileen happy = "eileen_happy.png"
image eileen sad = "eileen_sad.pn"

label start:
    show eileen
    "Hi!"
    show eileen happy # this will swap out eileen and replace it with eileen happy
    "I'm now happy and normal eileen is gone!"
    show eileen sad # swap out eileen happy and replace it with eileen sad
    "Now you've sent happy eileen away and only sad eileen remains." 
Also if you haven't done anything special with the layers, you can clear all on screen images with the scene command.

I'd recommend you re-read this page of the documentation to understand how images work in Renpy: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/displaying_images.html
Small tip/addition, even normal images should have an attribute (ex. "eileen normal" instead of just "eileen") otherwise you cannot change back to them.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#4 Post by Remix »

Config variables that govern the image cache

Realistically though, if you are hitting the default limits often in your script you'd do a huge amount better by improving your script rather than just bumping the limits up.

How are you currently doing things and what syntax is generally causing the problems?
Frameworks & Scriptlets: