Dating Sim

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Minuteman
Regular

Dating Sim

#1 Post by Minuteman »

Hello.
I'm have seen a lot of dating sims recently and always wondered how to unite point system, events, characters choices and etc. My current knowledge of renpy engine still poor but I'm have a lot of ideas and always wanted to make my own dating novel ....anyway, here is my question :
Is there something like tutorial, tips or guid? I'm can't find anything about this (besides DSE)

Thanks in advance!
of the people for the people

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

Re: Dating Sim

#2 Post by xavimat »

Remix is doing an Event Handler. It seems pretty complex, but have a look at it:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=46143
You can ask him directly.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#3 Post by Remix »

*cough* Remix is suffering the arduous task of refactoring that system to use a cleaner syntax and object hierarchy...
Probably have something workable by the end of next week and it should (in most cases) be simpler to play with (presuming the person I am doing the amends for doesn't mind it being cooked).

I would, in the meantime, suggest looking at Character Stats as a wrapper for holding various statistics (such as affection_level, confidence etc) for the paramours... Along with maybe seeing what DSE does too.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gas »

That's depend greatly from the type of dating sim you want to create.
For a narrative ds, like Katawa Shiujo, basic renpy and branching the plot suffice.
For a dating sim like Tokimeki Memorial, you need a lot of python more than renpy. The subject is so wide...
I suggest you to make a simple mindstorm, coming with a broad routine, jot down concepts and logical block and face problems in order. There's nothing like an "omni system" that do the job for you (the DSengine too is nothing but a coloection of classes that could help you streamline the code, but probably they will not fit exactly your great ideas...).
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

Minuteman
Regular

#5 Post by Minuteman »

Remix wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:04 am *cough* Remix is suffering the arduous task of refactoring that system to use a cleaner syntax and object hierarchy...
Probably have something workable by the end of next week and it should (in most cases) be simpler to play with (presuming the person I am doing the amends for doesn't mind it being cooked).

I would, in the meantime, suggest looking at Character Stats as a wrapper for holding various statistics (such as affection_level, confidence etc) for the paramours... Along with maybe seeing what DSE does too.

That's a lot of work you have done here, I definitely gonna check this out, Thanks.

gas wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 pm That's depend greatly from the type of dating sim you want to create.
For a narrative ds, like Katawa Shiujo, basic renpy and branching the plot suffice.
For a dating sim like Tokimeki Memorial, you need a lot of python more than renpy. The subject is so wide...
I suggest you to make a simple mindstorm, coming with a broad routine, jot down concepts and logical block and face problems in order. There's nothing like an "omni system" that do the job for you (the DSengine too is nothing but a coloection of classes that could help you streamline the code, but probably they will not fit exactly your great ideas...).
Well, for my first novel, I wanted to make pretty simple dating sim, without deep script like - evening, morning and etc.
Maybe with money, inventory system, simple events and local map
of the people for the people