My game disappeared from the Ren'Py launcher?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
averytireddad
Completed: None yet
Projects: The Human Race

My game disappeared from the Ren'Py launcher?

#1 Post by averytireddad »

It has been a couple days since I have worked on my visual novel, I've been busy with work and such. However, I opened the Ren'Py launcher today to work on it, and my game had completely disappeared. Only the tutorial and the question were there, nothing else I have made. All of my game files are still in the Ren'Py folder on my desktop, including all of the images and code I had made for my game, it is just not appearing in the Ren'Py launcher.

Since all of my files were still there, I decided I would just make a new version of the game in the Ren'Py launcher with the same name so I can copy and paste the original code into my text editor for Ren'Py. Has this happened to anyone else before? Does anyone know if it is possible for me to get the original game back in the Ren'Py launcher? If I am unable to get the original game back in the launcher and I have to remake what I had so far, how do I know if Ren'Py isn't going to just delete what I have again? I don't know what the cause for this is, or if it will or will not happen again, so I apologize for asking so many questions, I am just concerned about my hard work on my game being deleted from the Ren'Py launcher again.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: My game disappeared from the Ren'Py launcher?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Go to the preferences / options setting in the launcher and relink the appropriate folder. Your "desktop" is not the best place to store your files - it is meant as a temporary destination only.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

averytireddad

#3 Post by averytireddad »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:45 pm Go to the preferences / options setting in the launcher and relink the appropriate folder. Your "desktop" is not the best place to store your files - it is meant as a temporary destination only.
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. I am new to making games/visual novels with Ren'Py. Where would you suggest is a better place that I keep my files?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Anywhere, generally. Are you using Windows? Your user account should have a folder called 'documents'. Or an external hard drive (beware it doesn't change drive letters)

You can use the desktop, its not inherantly different to other storage areas, its just not recommended.
Its full address is usually:
C:\user\<username>\desktop

Twitter

averytireddad

#5 Post by averytireddad »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:00 pm Anywhere, generally. Are you using Windows? Your user account should have a folder called 'documents'. Or an external hard drive (beware it doesn't change drive letters)

You can use the desktop, its not inherantly different to other storage areas, its just not recommended.
Its full address is usually:
C:\user\<username>\desktop
I am using windows, yes. Thank you for the advice, is there a reason that the desktop is not an ideal storage area for files like these?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

No technical reason. The desktop is intended for shortcuts and app launchers.
That you can store files there, was an unintended side-effect.

Mostly, its just bad practise, is all.
Over time, you'll get used to doing it, and eventually clutter up the desktop. You'll one day decide to organise it, and begin sorting it.
You'll start checking what files are, and before you know it, it is 1AM and all you've done is watch cat videos.

You'll hurriedly stuff everything onto a portable hard drive, telling yourself "I'll get around to sorting it later."
'Later' never comes.
15 years later, you kick yourself for not properly organising 8TB of crap
*Based on real life events

Twitter

averytireddad

#7 Post by averytireddad »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:02 pm No technical reason. The desktop is intended for shortcuts and app launchers.
That you can store files there, was an unintended side-effect.

Mostly, its just bad practise, is all.
Over time, you'll get used to doing it, and eventually clutter up the desktop. You'll one day decide to organise it, and begin sorting it.
You'll start checking what files are, and before you know it, it is 1AM and all you've done is watch cat videos.

You'll hurriedly stuff everything onto a portable hard drive, telling yourself "I'll get around to sorting it later."
'Later' never comes.
15 years later, you kick yourself for not properly organising 8TB of crap
*Based on real life events
:lol: When I read this I knew it must have been based on real experience of yours. I do hate having a cluttered desktop, so I most likely will organize things better, I just like having easy access to my files.