Menu questions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
grlfo

Menu questions

#1 Post by grlfo »

I want to do dialogues like monkey island, but I have some troubles trying. I already edit the menu choices in screen.rpy putting the text in the bottom with the mousewheel.

What i already did

What i want

How I can make the white frame transparent? how I can start the phrase in the left corner and not in the middle? how I can delete the black bar hover?

And there is a way to make just 1 phrase with a different color? like 1 phrase red with a bright red hover, and the others with the idle and hover that I defined in the gui.rpy

Thanks!

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Menu questions

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

grlfo wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:10 am I want to do dialogues like monkey island, but I have some troubles trying. I already edit the menu choices in screen.rpy putting the text in the bottom with the mousewheel.

---

How I can make the white frame transparent? how I can start the phrase in the left corner and not in the middle? how I can delete the black bar hover?

And there is a way to make just 1 phrase with a different color? like 1 phrase red with a bright red hover, and the others with the idle and hover that I defined in the gui.rpy

Thanks!
---
I'm not sure I got all your questions covered, but here are some things you can look at :)

aligning the text left
in gui.rpy
under 'Choice buttons'

define gui.choice_button_text_xalign = 0.0

Making part of a string in a different color
"{color = #f00}This text will be red.{/color} This will be the standard color."

Background images for the choice buttons
in the folder gui/buttons in the game-folder you will find two images that are background for the choice buttons (menu alternatives)
choice_idle_background.png
choice_hover_background.png

If you want a different background you make your own images an replace the original images using the same name for the new image.

grlfo

#3 Post by grlfo »

Per K Grok wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 am
I'm not sure I got all your questions covered, but here are some things you can look at :)

aligning the text left
in gui.rpy
under 'Choice buttons'

define gui.choice_button_text_xalign = 0.0

Making part of a string in a different color
"{color = #f00}This text will be red.{/color} This will be the standard color."

Background images for the choice buttons
in the folder gui/buttons in the game-folder you will find two images that are background for the choice buttons (menu alternatives)
choice_idle_background.png
choice_hover_background.png

If you want a different background you make your own images an replace the original images using the same name for the new image.
Thanks you a lot! :D

This is what i do

I used "background Frame("image")" for that white frame

Chekhov
Regular
Projects: Pluton

#4 Post by Chekhov »

Hey grlfo,

I'm actually working on something that would require exactly the same thing.

Any chance you would share in public or private the code/modifications you did to achieve this? You could save me quite a bit of time.