[RESOLVED] "Launch Project" taking up loads of CPU and causing computer crashes?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
tincrumbs
Projects: Buy Gones

[RESOLVED] "Launch Project" taking up loads of CPU and causing computer crashes?

#1 Post by tincrumbs »

Probably a hardware issue and not Ren‘Py. Thanks everyone for helping!

edit: By "temporally", I mean that it hasn't been quite long enough for me to know for sure, but it seems to work so far! Hopefully I remember to update the title if it continues working. c: Moral of the story: don't use outdated software. ^.^'

Hello! I'm brand new and I signed up because recently my computer has been shutting down suddenly (Kernel Panic) for the first time. The only new software I have and have been running is Ren'Py and Editra. I downloaded it last Thursday (the 5th), but I didn't start having issues until Saturday. Today I took a nap with Ren'Py open and my laptop seemed fine, so I closed it and left for a bit. I came back maybe 10 minutes later and opened and it. Immediately, it panicked (before I even logged in) and shut down. It's weird because it seems to be happening to me often (yesterday, it happened three times only seconds after/as I was logging in), but I just left it with a center for a day and they weren't able to replicate it...

So the only suspicion I have left is that it's perhaps Ren'Py somehow? Even though it didn't start becoming a problem right away... So I thought I'd stop by to see if maybe Ren'Py is the problem. If it is, what can I do to fix this? Can I run it on an external drive with less issues? Has anyone else had this problem or is my computer just being a jerk?

I'm sure a lot of my terms when explaining this are less than robust... I'm not entirely certain I even understand what a Kernel Panic is, but the computer center just was not helpful at all so now I'm asking questions here. Thank y'all for your time. <3
Last edited by tincrumbs on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
college student (graphic design major) | adult | generally sleepy or confused | complete newbie. i'm trying my best.
working on a little project called buy gones about a girl who takes a job at a small local antique shop over the summer only to find out it's a front for a drug organization.
i can't draw--only (barely) code and write--but i want to finish something i love. i hopefully will hire out for an artist if i finish everything else. but, you know, i need a job first. cx
umm... i think y'all are pretty cool and i love you. keep working hard. <3

ich spreche ein bisschen deutsch (nicht sehr wohl, deutlich). eine nachricht sende, wenn du wünschst mit meinem deutsch helfen. c: vielen dank!

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Has Ren'Py ever been known to cause Kernel Panics for Macs?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I'm on a Mac (and even an older Mac!), and I've never had this problem with RenPy. I will say, that maybe trying uninstalling RenPy, then reinstalling...but this time, rather than Editra, use Atom. Editra hasn't been supported in a long time...Editra could be the problem?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

tincrumbs

#3 Post by tincrumbs »

trooper6 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:31 pm I'm on a Mac (and even an older Mac!), and I've never had this problem with RenPy. I will say, that maybe trying uninstalling RenPy, then reinstalling...but this time, rather than Editra, use Atom. Editra hasn't been supported in a long time...Editra could be the problem?
Hmm... I was thinking that since I didn't have Ren'Py open at the time that Editra couldn't be the problem, but now that you mention it, it's running either way. cx I'll give that a try and download Atom. If I uninstall Ren'Py and then reinstall, as long as I make a new project and choose my project's file folder, I shouldn't lose any of my work right?
college student (graphic design major) | adult | generally sleepy or confused | complete newbie. i'm trying my best.
working on a little project called buy gones about a girl who takes a job at a small local antique shop over the summer only to find out it's a front for a drug organization.
i can't draw--only (barely) code and write--but i want to finish something i love. i hopefully will hire out for an artist if i finish everything else. but, you know, i need a job first. cx

ich spreche ein bisschen deutsch (nicht sehr wohl, deutlich). eine nachricht sende, wenn du wünschst mit meinem deutsch helfen. c: vielen dank!

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by trooper6 »

My project files are in a different folder than my Renpy. Uninstalling and reinstalling RenPy has never deleted my project files.
You shouldn't even need to make a new project...just choose to open your old project.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

tincrumbs

#5 Post by tincrumbs »

trooper6 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:03 am My project files are in a different folder than my Renpy. Uninstalling and reinstalling RenPy has never deleted my project files.
You shouldn't even need to make a new project...just choose to open your old project.
Kay! Thank you so much for your help!! I'll mark it temporally resolved if it works. <3

tincrumbs

Re: [RESOLVED] Has Ren'Py ever been known to cause Kernel Panics for Macs?

#6 Post by tincrumbs »

Seems like it worked! My computer hasn't panicked again and I've had Ren'Py and Atom open all of last night/this morning. I feel kind of silly cause I knew Editra was out of date but figured that didn't mean much of anything. cx Lesson learned! Thanks trooper6!

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by trooper6 »

My pleasure!
I think a little out of date is probably not a problem, but Editra is a lot out of date. Editra was my main editor but I had to switch to Atom when it kept crashing. And then one month later, Ren’py switched to Atom as well.
A Close Shave:

tincrumbs

#8 Post by tincrumbs »

UPDATE: Turns out, it wasn't the outdated program. It seems that the problem is actually when I launch my project. The launched project takes up a bunch of CPU and seems to be what's causing my computer to crash... My game is pretty small, so I'm surprised. Does anyone know what this issue could be?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: [Re-UnRESOLVED] "Launch Project" taking up loads of CPU and causing computer crashes?

#9 Post by PyTom »

I'll be honest, I think you're probably dealing with some sort of hardware problem here. The point of an operating system is to protect programs from each other. So if there's anything a single program can do to bring down the operating system, it means that the operating system is failing in its most important task. My guess is that you probably have bad ram or a problem like that, and it's causing problems when you do overly intensive things.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

tincrumbs

Re: [Re-UnRESOLVED] "Launch Project" taking up loads of CPU and causing computer crashes?

#10 Post by tincrumbs »

Alright. That makes sense, honestly. I just hoped it was a software issue so I wanted to eliminate everything before I start thinking about the headache that failing hardware can be. Since Ren‘Py is the only relatively new program on my computer, it was the only one I knew I needed to eliminate. Thank you so much for your help! I’ll take it into my student center today or tomorrow. c: