The Pretenders Guild (Free/GxB/BxB/Comedy/Customization) (Voice acting update!)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Xeen
Deviantart: Mystery-Voice

Re: The Pretenders Guild (Free/GxB/BxB/Comedy/Customization) (Voice acting coming soon!)

#31 Post by Xeen »

Hey there! Usually I keep quiet and just stalk threads, but I've seen lack of love for Braums and couldn't contain myself anymore.
He is ADORABLE. It took every ounce of my strength to try different routes and abandon him. TT___TT Not being able to comfort him hurt a lot!
During Braums' route on my first walkthrough (got a happy ending (at least, a not bad ending?..) without hints, btw, and that always means I really understand the character) I liked Rafael so much and was so eager to play his route, but in the end I just felt bad leaving Braums alone (and missing my chance with him). He is totally my type. Please do more like him in the upcoming games? I seriously beg you. :oops:

1. To be honest I had no expectations for this game and even wanted to abandon it at some point at the beginning (got annoyed with only one background for the city, it felt like characters never actually moved). I'm so glad that I didn't! You did a great job! The whole worldbuilding and characterization was wonderful. I was amazed that playing Shika!Ash after playing Reaver!Ash felt almost like playing a different game, and that's rare. And art is nice as well! Ah, Braums' pouting face... and his face when he's smiling and biting his lower lip... Priceless.
2. I played three routes as for now. Braums' route totally met my expectations. I still have to try harder to conquest Paris... As for Rafael... I do love him. A lot. But his ending felt too rushed for my tastes. It ended the main story abruptly and that was it?.. Somehow it felt unsatisfying.
3. It's hard to put a finger on what part was exactly my favourite, but I genuinely enjoyed comforting Braums.
The moment in the woods when he came to bother Ash at night is carved into my mind.
It was so sweet!
To think of it the fact that I can romance a fragile man as a strong woman, when I played Reaver!Fem!Ash sent my heart aflutter. Please do more romances like this!
4. My least favourite part is probably the lack of backgrounds. It was nice to have a separate background for each city, but it would be even nicer to have more for different parts of the cities and different parts of the forest. I know you were limited and I don't complain! It's just the game could be even more awesome that way.
5. Never found any typos (was too immersed in the story), but got an error trying to skip text. Never tried it since then.
6. Loved the customization and the fact it actually affects the story at some points. As I already mentioned, that's rare and that's precious. Loved Ash! It was easy to feel like them and to like them. And that doesn't happen often, at least for me. A likeable, easy to sympathize with MC is a great thing on its own.
I have yet to play Paris' route properly, but what I would really love to see is more fleshed out story for Rafael.
P.S. CGs are so HOT ohmygod!

Thank you for making this game! <3 I loved it and will wait for more!

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

Re: The Pretenders Guild (Free/GxB/BxB/Comedy/Customization) (Voice acting coming soon!)

#32 Post by minyan »

Xeen wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:09 am Hey there! Usually I keep quiet and just stalk threads, but I've seen lack of love for Braums and couldn't contain myself anymore.
He is ADORABLE. It took every ounce of my strength to try different routes and abandon him. TT___TT Not being able to comfort him hurt a lot!
During Braums' route on my first walkthrough (got a happy ending (at least, a not bad ending?..) without hints, btw, and that always means I really understand the character) I liked Rafael so much and was so eager to play his route, but in the end I just felt bad leaving Braums alone (and missing my chance with him). He is totally my type. Please do more like him in the upcoming games? I seriously beg you. :oops:

1. To be honest I had no expectations for this game and even wanted to abandon it at some point at the beginning (got annoyed with only one background for the city, it felt like characters never actually moved). I'm so glad that I didn't! You did a great job! The whole worldbuilding and characterization was wonderful. I was amazed that playing Shika!Ash after playing Reaver!Ash felt almost like playing a different game, and that's rare. And art is nice as well! Ah, Braums' pouting face... and his face when he's smiling and biting his lower lip... Priceless.
2. I played three routes as for now. Braums' route totally met my expectations. I still have to try harder to conquest Paris... As for Rafael... I do love him. A lot. But his ending felt too rushed for my tastes. It ended the main story abruptly and that was it?.. Somehow it felt unsatisfying.
3. It's hard to put a finger on what part was exactly my favourite, but I genuinely enjoyed comforting Braums.
The moment in the woods when he came to bother Ash at night is carved into my mind.
It was so sweet!
To think of it the fact that I can romance a fragile man as a strong woman, when I played Reaver!Fem!Ash sent my heart aflutter. Please do more romances like this!
4. My least favourite part is probably the lack of backgrounds. It was nice to have a separate background for each city, but it would be even nicer to have more for different parts of the cities and different parts of the forest. I know you were limited and I don't complain! It's just the game could be even more awesome that way.
5. Never found any typos (was too immersed in the story), but got an error trying to skip text. Never tried it since then.
6. Loved the customization and the fact it actually affects the story at some points. As I already mentioned, that's rare and that's precious. Loved Ash! It was easy to feel like them and to like them. And that doesn't happen often, at least for me. A likeable, easy to sympathize with MC is a great thing on its own.
I have yet to play Paris' route properly, but what I would really love to see is more fleshed out story for Rafael.
P.S. CGs are so HOT ohmygod!

Thank you for making this game! <3 I loved it and will wait for more!
I'm so glad to see some love for Braums! Yes I was really excited to write his route because I don't think I've written a character quite like him who's romanceable with a female MC.

Thank you for your feedback, your points are definitely valid! I'll have to plan out my endings better in the future. I understand your complaint about the backgrounds as well, right now there are pretty much the bare minimum, so that could definitely have been improved.

I'm so glad to hear you liked Ash, they were really fun to write and probably my favorite MC that I've written thus far.

And the CGs are my favorite part... I'm making some new ones for the next update with voice acting, so stay tuned ;)
ImageImage

Xeen
Deviantart: Mystery-Voice

#33 Post by Xeen »

minyan wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:40 am And the CGs are my favorite part... I'm making some new ones for the next update with voice acting, so stay tuned ;)
Can't wait!
Also I forgot to mention ( >.< ) that writing in the game is really good as well. Your storytelling skills are great. Dialogues are pure gold mostly! And the tension is so there! This is extremely important (for me, at least, it is). Keep up the good work. ^__~

As for the feedback - you're most welcome! Your amazing game made me so passionate about it that I had to post my thoughts here instead of just keeping to myself as usual. ^__^

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild

#34 Post by minyan »

Xeen wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:07 am
minyan wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:40 am And the CGs are my favorite part... I'm making some new ones for the next update with voice acting, so stay tuned ;)
Can't wait!
Also I forgot to mention ( >.< ) that writing in the game is really good as well. Your storytelling skills are great. Dialogues are pure gold mostly! And the tension is so there! This is extremely important (for me, at least, it is). Keep up the good work. ^__~

As for the feedback - you're most welcome! Your amazing game made me so passionate about it that I had to post my thoughts here instead of just keeping to myself as usual. ^__^
Ahhh you have no idea how happy that makes me to hear. ^^
ImageImage

Virelai
Regular

#35 Post by Virelai »

LOL OK SO I PLAYED THIS GAME A WHILE AGO, but I never got around to writing a review (so tbh my memory is a little sketch but I remember the v important parts.)

Overall, I think this game was fantastic. The premise of the plot is so incredibly unique, and it's something that I've never seen before (at least in the world of VNs). You kind of created your own lore in the VN, but it was still easy to follow along and understand. I think it's really cool how the MC's personality is based off of which 'race' you choose. Again, that's something I rarely see in VNs so it was super exciting to be able to try that out for the first time. The artwork is really cute, and it fits the style of the VN. The music is also really funky and groovy which I like, and the background blends in well with the settings. Not to mention, whoever designed the outfits for the characters did a freakin fantastic job--there's a lot of detail there!

I played all the routes and I have to say that Rafael is my favorite route.
I must admit though, he is basically a brick wall for the entirety of the VN LOL so i was like bruh pls....
It's not particularly that his character stood out more to me than the others, but the ending of his route was really realistic and I found it cool that his route ended like that. It was kind of a risky move/shot in the dark but it worked really well for who Rafi is haha. One thing I do have to say is that I feel like something is missing in the routes. I don't exactly know what it is (so i admit this statement probably isn't much help), but I found myself skipping through some of the parts, especially when I was playing another route and going through the same scenes. I know that it's nearly impossible to write 3 completely different stories, but even in the scenarios with each specific character route, some parts felt too extended or unnecessary. For example, I feel like there could've been more heart-to-heart moments between the MC and the character, or perhaps a deeper look into a character's backstory. I just felt like a lot of the individual encounters were simply fillers, rather than moments where I genuinely got to know who they were.

Something that really confused me was picking the choices. I think it's really unique, and again, SOMETHING I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE!! (You guys are soo creative I swear). However, I totally forgot what some of the symbols represented after the tutorial lol so i was like "omg help what does this crab thing do." And sometimes, it's a little bit of a shocker when I pick the symbol and it's something that I totally wasn't expecting the MC to respond with.

In any case, I would definitely recommend this VN to others, and I'm SO EXCITED to see that voice acting is coming soon! I'll definitely have to redownload/replay this once voice acting is out hehe. You worked really hard on this VN and it's awesome to see all of that hard work pay off! :D <3

ladynamoru
Regular
Deviantart: ladynamoru

#36 Post by ladynamoru »

Hi Minyan. Its me, one of your so many fans since Arena Circus.

Ive instantly download it the moment I saw it.
I knew it will be good since I saw your name on it and I want to congratulate you for the released of your game and Im looking forward to play it after im done with my work.

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#37 Post by minyan »

Virelai wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:04 am LOL OK SO I PLAYED THIS GAME A WHILE AGO, but I never got around to writing a review (so tbh my memory is a little sketch but I remember the v important parts.)

Overall, I think this game was fantastic. The premise of the plot is so incredibly unique, and it's something that I've never seen before (at least in the world of VNs). You kind of created your own lore in the VN, but it was still easy to follow along and understand. I think it's really cool how the MC's personality is based off of which 'race' you choose. Again, that's something I rarely see in VNs so it was super exciting to be able to try that out for the first time. The artwork is really cute, and it fits the style of the VN. The music is also really funky and groovy which I like, and the background blends in well with the settings. Not to mention, whoever designed the outfits for the characters did a freakin fantastic job--there's a lot of detail there!

I played all the routes and I have to say that Rafael is my favorite route.
I must admit though, he is basically a brick wall for the entirety of the VN LOL so i was like bruh pls....
It's not particularly that his character stood out more to me than the others, but the ending of his route was really realistic and I found it cool that his route ended like that. It was kind of a risky move/shot in the dark but it worked really well for who Rafi is haha. One thing I do have to say is that I feel like something is missing in the routes. I don't exactly know what it is (so i admit this statement probably isn't much help), but I found myself skipping through some of the parts, especially when I was playing another route and going through the same scenes. I know that it's nearly impossible to write 3 completely different stories, but even in the scenarios with each specific character route, some parts felt too extended or unnecessary. For example, I feel like there could've been more heart-to-heart moments between the MC and the character, or perhaps a deeper look into a character's backstory. I just felt like a lot of the individual encounters were simply fillers, rather than moments where I genuinely got to know who they were.

Something that really confused me was picking the choices. I think it's really unique, and again, SOMETHING I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE!! (You guys are soo creative I swear). However, I totally forgot what some of the symbols represented after the tutorial lol so i was like "omg help what does this crab thing do." And sometimes, it's a little bit of a shocker when I pick the symbol and it's something that I totally wasn't expecting the MC to respond with.

In any case, I would definitely recommend this VN to others, and I'm SO EXCITED to see that voice acting is coming soon! I'll definitely have to redownload/replay this once voice acting is out hehe. You worked really hard on this VN and it's awesome to see all of that hard work pay off! :D <3

Thanks so much for your comment! I had a lot of fun designing the outfits, I tried to have a different feel and style for the reaver, cubi, and shika, so I'm glad you liked them. I'm also glad you liked the ending of Rafael's route. I was a little worried about it, and I've heard that the endings aren't really people's favorite parts, so I'm glad you found it enjoyable.

The game is a little different in that there's just one story and the routes only cause some variations, so I understand why you'd skip through a lot of it. Looking back, I could have implemented more of each character's backstory into the game. Something to keep in mind for my future projects.

Thanks so much for playing. The voice acting is coming along really well, and I can't wait to show you guys!
ladynamoru wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:11 am Hi Minyan. Its me, one of your so many fans since Arena Circus.

Ive instantly download it the moment I saw it.
I knew it will be good since I saw your name on it and I want to congratulate you for the released of your game and Im looking forward to play it after im done with my work.
Oh, thanks so much! I'm happy to hear you like Arena Circus and I hope you enjoy this one too! Arena Circus chapter 4 is also coming along well, so hopefully I'll get that out for you soon. (:
ImageImage

Alia
Regular

#38 Post by Alia »

1. What did you think overall?
Awesome! (So awesome I want to give you money in thanks. Would you prefer I use ko-fi once, or subscribe to your Patreon at $1?)

2. Were you satisfied at the end of the route you played?
All except something about Rafael, though it wasn't on his route.
I'm confused about the whole "almost like he's acting" thing that shows up in the castle. What is going on?
And, when he'd already killed the king, why didn't he just tell Ash he was leaving and let her think he wasn't going to kill? He didn't seem to want to stab her for a distraction until she forced the issue.
3. What was your favorite part:
Hard to narrow it down to just one favorite part, so I'll cheat and just say it's the humor. I giggled so often. For instance,
the "mighty tree rulers" scene
still made me snort aloud even on the third time playing through it.

4. Least favorite part?
Not a huge deal, but it was probably finding out Braums was transgender. For me, it made the "ack, he thought I was a girl!" scenes less funny in retrospect. (Though I realize that's sexist of me, to think it's funnier when a cis guy is mistaken for a girl than when a transgender guy is.) It also altered one of the things I liked about the relationship between him and Ash. I agree with Xeen that "the fact that I can romance a fragile man as a strong woman... set my heart aflutter," and a new variable added shifts the focus a bit. Makes it share the focus and be two steps unusual instead of one, and the one was what I really enjoyed. Though I wouldn't have been disappointed if I hadn't already been delighted with things the way I'd initially interpreted them. (I suppose causing any recontextualization, even as skillfully as this, will always make some readers happy and some of them sad.)
Tied for least favorite part is the fact that when Rafael's eyes are described as narrowing he closes one of them instead.
5. Did you find any bugs/typos?
Some typos, though few really distracting ones. (Since a typo requires a description of where it is, I sent an email to the address you included in the game files.)

6. Other comments or suggestions.
I like the way you reference memes and so on
("over 9,000," "arrow to the knee")
in such a way that you can miss the joke and it's no big deal.
I like the tiny reactions to some of the hair/eye color choices.
Also fond of Ash's preocupation with numbers: "137% completion," "cuteness level 8999," "warmth increase of at least thirty percent"
Embarrassed Rafael scene: he's so adorable!
I kind of want to know about the undead/clock/prophecy play. Since Ash came up with it I'm sure it's zany. Good call not slowing story momentum by showing more of it during the story itself, but it'd be great as one of the Extras. Unless the point is to make the reader imagine it.
Are you sure you want breakfast to be at "sun high?" To this American, "sun high" sounds like the time the sun is highest: lunch. But hey, it's your world.

There are some things I'm randomly curious about:
In the rooms in New Trinity, what's the picture on the right with the humanoid shape and branches or something coming out of it?
What do the numbers on the crest ring mean?
I can't tell: did little Paris set the fire deliberately, or was it an accident?

Most importantly: how does the concept of massage function in Shika society? In our society massage isn't inherently sexual, but we're not massaging using erogenous zones. Even through the gloves Ash certainly noticed Braums' stroking thumb during the forest scene, so, um, how strong was Rafael coming on, there?

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#39 Post by minyan »

Alia wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:01 am 1. What did you think overall?
Awesome! (So awesome I want to give you money in thanks. Would you prefer I use ko-fi once, or subscribe to your Patreon at $1?)

2. Were you satisfied at the end of the route you played?
All except something about Rafael, though it wasn't on his route.
I'm confused about the whole "almost like he's acting" thing that shows up in the castle. What is going on?
And, when he'd already killed the king, why didn't he just tell Ash he was leaving and let her think he wasn't going to kill? He didn't seem to want to stab her for a distraction until she forced the issue.
3. What was your favorite part:
Hard to narrow it down to just one favorite part, so I'll cheat and just say it's the humor. I giggled so often. For instance,
the "mighty tree rulers" scene
still made me snort aloud even on the third time playing through it.

4. Least favorite part?
Not a huge deal, but it was probably finding out Braums was transgender. For me, it made the "ack, he thought I was a girl!" scenes less funny in retrospect. (Though I realize that's sexist of me, to think it's funnier when a cis guy is mistaken for a girl than when a transgender guy is.) It also altered one of the things I liked about the relationship between him and Ash. I agree with Xeen that "the fact that I can romance a fragile man as a strong woman... set my heart aflutter," and a new variable added shifts the focus a bit. Makes it share the focus and be two steps unusual instead of one, and the one was what I really enjoyed. Though I wouldn't have been disappointed if I hadn't already been delighted with things the way I'd initially interpreted them. (I suppose causing any recontextualization, even as skillfully as this, will always make some readers happy and some of them sad.)
Tied for least favorite part is the fact that when Rafael's eyes are described as narrowing he closes one of them instead.
5. Did you find any bugs/typos?
Some typos, though few really distracting ones. (Since a typo requires a description of where it is, I sent an email to the address you included in the game files.)

6. Other comments or suggestions.
I like the way you reference memes and so on
("over 9,000," "arrow to the knee")
in such a way that you can miss the joke and it's no big deal.
I like the tiny reactions to some of the hair/eye color choices.
Also fond of Ash's preocupation with numbers: "137% completion," "cuteness level 8999," "warmth increase of at least thirty percent"
Embarrassed Rafael scene: he's so adorable!
I kind of want to know about the undead/clock/prophecy play. Since Ash came up with it I'm sure it's zany. Good call not slowing story momentum by showing more of it during the story itself, but it'd be great as one of the Extras. Unless the point is to make the reader imagine it.
Are you sure you want breakfast to be at "sun high?" To this American, "sun high" sounds like the time the sun is highest: lunch. But hey, it's your world.

There are some things I'm randomly curious about:
In the rooms in New Trinity, what's the picture on the right with the humanoid shape and branches or something coming out of it?
What do the numbers on the crest ring mean?
I can't tell: did little Paris set the fire deliberately, or was it an accident?

Most importantly: how does the concept of massage function in Shika society? In our society massage isn't inherently sexual, but we're not massaging using erogenous zones. Even through the gloves Ash certainly noticed Braums' stroking thumb during the forest scene, so, um, how strong was Rafael coming on, there?
Thanks so much for playing! I appreciate the thought, but that's not necessary. If you'd really like to support my future efforts though you can just download the game on itch again and donate a buck or two. (:

One thing, Braums is not transgender, I'm not sure where you got that impression. I fully support transgender people, but Braums is a biological man who considers himself male.

The undead/clock/prophecy play is fully in Ash's head, I'm not even sure where it came from to be honest xD

You're right about the sun high thing, I didn't think about that as deeply as I could have.

As for Rafael, he didn't want to kill Ash, but he wanted 1, a distraction, and 2, to sever their ties. He thought it would be easier for everyone to hate him if he went full "bad guy." Hope that answers your question!

Oh, and the paintings in the inns are just old pieces of artwork I'd drawn that were totally unrelated tot he story.
ImageImage

Alia
Regular

#40 Post by Alia »

minyan wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:48 amOne thing, Braums is not transgender, I'm not sure where you got that impression. I fully support transgender people, but Braums is a biological man who considers himself male.
*blush* Well, now I feel silly. In "Beauty and the Brute" Scene Two I misinterpreted Braums' reaction to being called a princess ("For a second Braums panics, wondering how Paris found out") as about having been a princess, rather than about being a royal (or royal heir) in general... and this combined in my head with a few other totally circumstantial things.

About Rafael: Ah, that makes sense! Thanks.

So am I overthinking the massage-for-Shika thing, too?

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by minyan »

Alia wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:59 pm
minyan wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:48 amOne thing, Braums is not transgender, I'm not sure where you got that impression. I fully support transgender people, but Braums is a biological man who considers himself male.
*blush* Well, now I feel silly. In "Beauty and the Brute" Scene Two I misinterpreted Braums' reaction to being called a princess ("For a second Braums panics, wondering how Paris found out") as about having been a princess, rather than about being a royal (or royal heir) in general... and this combined in my head with a few other totally circumstantial things.

About Rafael: Ah, that makes sense! Thanks.

So am I overthinking the massage-for-Shika thing, too?
It is more intimate than it would be for someone who's not a shika, but not outright scandalous. I'd say it's a common courtship step but Ash didn't really think about it that way since...well, it was Rafael xD
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#42 Post by minyan »

Hey guys! The intro now has voices implemented! Check it out here: https://minyan.itch.io/thepretendersguild
ImageImage