Renpy convertion to online browsergame?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Musick
Regular
Completed: Ariane's Assistant Ariane Eldar's Rock Strip Quiz 1
Deviantart: SteampunkGorgon
itch: ritchierat

Renpy convertion to online browsergame?

#1 Post by Musick »

I think a lot of people will hesitate do download a zip file in the internet and install it on their computer, while most would play an online game. My first renpy game (introduced in another threat) is not very big and rather simple, no sound or animation, mostly an illustrated quiz. Is there any way to transform a renpay game into a single file you could play via browser?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Renpy convertion to online browsergame?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

Not that I know of...but other people may have some insights. Just for the record, I almost never play browser games. I almost only play games I've downloaded. There are some browser games I'm actually interested in...but I still haven't played them. And if the browser game required me register? It just isn't going to happen.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Musick
Regular

#3 Post by Musick »

trooper6 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:02 pm . And if the browser game required me register? It just isn't going to happen.
I wouldn't register to play a browser game either. I just assumed an online browsergame wich requires no download (especially a zip that could contain malware) would find more players. I am rather new to Renpy, has anyone experienced malware in Renpy games yet? Are there downlad places for Renpy games better avoided?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Browsergames aren't free of malware. If anything, they're more likely to include ads, which can be injected with malware.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#5 Post by Donmai »

There's this guy here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=35502#p391966
He converted a lot of Ren'Py games to online games (including some I've created) but I don't know exactly how he does it (if anybody else knows).
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Musick
Regular

#6 Post by Musick »

Imperf3kt wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:02 pm Browsergames aren't free of malware. If anything, they're more likely to include ads, which can be injected with malware.
I'm aware that browsergames can include malware, too, like everything on the internet. But as my first game is a not very complex quizgame you can start and finish in a few minutes, it think might be more attractive as browsergame for many players. I have the idea for a more complex game, too, that will probably work better as download.
Donmai wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:52 pm There's this guy here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=35502#p391966
He converted a lot of Ren'Py games to online games (including some I've created) but I don't know exactly how he does it (if anybody else knows).
Thank you, I'll send him a message.

kalesco
Regular

#7 Post by kalesco »

Hi,

I've created a RenPy game (for a special purpose, it's an alternative form of survey) and I have encountered people who would not download zips, don't know how to use them, have readonly errors (depending on where they unzip the package, if they do at all) and problems with mac users because the app is not signed...

For all of these reasons I am porting the game as best as I can to RenJS - it's a bit of work, but the main syntax is similar enough that I can search and replace a lot of things.

https://lunafromthemoon.itch.io/renjs

I have used the tutorial and adapted it. If I didn't have the requirement to have a downloadable game as well (to be put on a stick for example) I would have just used RenJS.

I have also stumbled upon sandbox adventure and contacted them, but never got an answer :(

Monogatari looks like a good option as well, but there's too much code differences for my case.
https://monogatari.io/

Good luck! Maybe you'll want to tell us how it went?

Musick
Regular

#8 Post by Musick »

The engline looks very promising. Yet I hardly know how to program Renpy, so converting my game doesn't seem that easy. Is there anywhere a tutorial how to import or modify an existing Renpy to RenJS game?

kalesco
Regular

#9 Post by kalesco »

If you haven't started with Ren'Py then I would suggest you try with RenJS from scratch and not use Ren'Py at all.
Unfortunately there's no easy conversion or convert tool that I know of.

Look at the tutorial and the RenJS code and try something easy to see if it is for you. Monogatari might also be worth a shot, it looks more sophisticated than RenJS.

Musick
Regular

#10 Post by Musick »

I have started looking at the RenJS tutorial; it was a bit much information for me at the start, but I think 'ill coming back and watch it again. There's one thing. Although I would like to do to an online game, is there any limit for playable size? My first game was a rather easy and short quiz, but the zip file for the pc version is rather large. The new game I have in mind would be much longer, more complex, elaborate and will have much more images. Should this be a problem?

kalesco
Regular

#11 Post by kalesco »

Sorry, I can't answer your question :(
As far as I could see, the assets are all defined in the setup file and are pre-loaded. So the load time of the game (until you can click start) might be affected.
My game is still rather small.