Clean VN Recomendations

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
SilverSea

Clean VN Recomendations

#1 Post by SilverSea »

So I have only ever played one visual novel (Autumn's Journey) I watched let's plays of Long Live the Queen and A Royal Trap. The last once made me lose interest in VN's because it was too lewd. LLTQ had certain branches of the story that got disturbing though fortunately they weren't graphic about it. The other problem being that the main character was a little too young. Autumn's Journey was much cleaner though it did toe the line a little at times.

"Clean" means different things to different people, some don't like graphic violence, other people don't like f bombs. For me it means no lewd//overly romantic content. I don't mind violence and I'll put up with cussing if it means I get to enjoy a good story. But lewd stuff turns me off and makes me lose interest. That means NO inuendos, even ones that kids wouldn't understand. I don't even like romance but I will put up with a few kissing scenes for a good story. Modestly dressed characters is a plus.

In case other people read this topic looking for stuff that doesn't contain violence/cussing feel free to mention stuff that fulfills those criteria as well. If you want too you can also mention whether or not something has a dark theme(which I don't mind) and other details that help people decide whether or not a VN would be offencive to them. Mentioning the political views of a VN is fine as long as there is no discussion about whether or not those views are right or wrong. If you disagree about what political views a VN upholds don't discuss it, just post your own version and move on.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Clean VN Recomendations

#2 Post by trooper6 »

Well you certainly shouldn't play anything that is described as a dating sim if you don't want any romance.

So you want asexual and aromantic and you want all the characters modestly dressed. Let me see what I can think of. Please note that some of these I haven't played in a long time so I may have forgotten some immodest dress or an optional romance or something like that.

Games I can think of, as far as I can remember:
Cave Cave Deus Videt
Sword Daughter
The Elevator
Once an Artist
The One in Love is great...but the main character has a wife back home that he loves, even though he does't romance anyone in the game...so you may not want to play that, also he is shirtless, which, while not done with sexual provocation, will probably count as immodest for you. Also there are robots that look like female mannequins and that may be too immodest for you as well.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

I can only think of three at the moment, and two are commercial games.

There's doki doki literature club, but thats probably a little disturbing. Its dressed up as a typical romance the girl type game, but uh, ends up vastly different.
The first couple of hours do get very grindy as the writing is mostly samey until... Well, spoiling it would take away its only redeeming quality (in my opinion, others may hold different opinions)
DDLC is free, but you also have the option of buying a 'fanpack', which from what I am told, is a sort of concept/bonus art collection.

The next two are commercial and part of a series.

Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 (which is a midquel)

Steins;Gate makes heavy use of meme culture (the westernised version is slightly changed in a few areas of really Japanese-specific culture)
It does feature the odd perverted quip or remark, but the worst you'll get is implied innuendo. For example, there's one scene where a girl is talking about how sticky and floppy a microwaved banana is, and a guy in the same room asks her to repeat it, only with a sly grin. A moment later, he is scolded though.

The artwork contains only one semi-nude scene that I remember, but it was a scene of panic and not at all supposed to be erotic or otherwise. The characters are otherwise fully clothed

I know of several other fairly clean VNs, as I also dislike erotic content for the sake of erotic content / sales, but I won't mention them until I've checked through, because my memory is terrible.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

Self-promotion time, ahoy. Here's some stuff I wrote. You might like it?

Ripples- Super short slice of life. Bonus: same artist as Autumn's Journey.

Jisei - Murder mystery game, although it's pretty light on the blood as well. No romance scenes. First in a series. If you like this one, you might like the others?

Backstage Pass - This is a dating sim, so there are several romantic paths that go as far as kissing, but there's also a series of friendship routes, one ace character, and some "no dating" endings still designed to be "good ends."

SilverSea

#5 Post by SilverSea »

@trooper6
I looked up the games, Cave Cave Deus Videt looks very interesting and it's in the internet archive. Unfortunately it's a big download so I will have to wait until I get better internet before I play it. Sword Daughter appears to have some romance in it but it's got 22 different endings so the romance thing might be optional. The Elevator looks good too and I want to play it sometime. Once an Artist brought up artist recruitment topics(lol) so I couldn't find it.

@Imperf3kt
Feel free to spoil stuff since I don't mind spoilers, in fact I prefer stuff spoiled.

@sake-bento
Ripples was a small download(and it's free) so I downloaded it and will play it. If I like it then I might eventually buy Jisei and try it out.

Thank you all for the recomendations, I figured that if I'm going to make a VN I should probably play more of them. Plus it's nice to have more things to look forward too for when I solve my internet problems.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

Alright, but I'll skip the details and just give a basic overview.
DDLC essentially comes off as a dating sim, but
once you reach a certain point, some odd things start happening to your game and the folder where it is installed. Characters act out of character, files appear and disappear, depending on what you've done or have installed on your computer, some characters may know certain personal things about you, yes, YOU, among a host of other strange things.

Then, after a while of this, you lose the option of talking to some of the characters. You try to reload an earlier save only to find they've all been wiped. You get stuck in an endless loop that even restarting the game (and I think, even reinstalling) cannot exit you out of it and one of the character tries (literally) to force you to talk to her
That shouldn't spoil too much, I don't think.

Regarding Steins;Gate,
a self proclaimed mad scientist and a few friends of his, spend their days in a makeshift 'lab' turning everyday junk, into more... junk. Like a vacuum that doubles as a hair dryer, or a gyrocopter with a camera... That records rotating footage that is nauseating to watch and a microwave with a phone attached, that can heat your meal up when called. Its also a time machine, though they don't initially know that.
Basically, they're doing typical college student stuff and hanging out.

Anyway, this 'mad scientist' gig is all just an act, but the guy doing it takes it to the extreme and never stops, no matter how embarrassing it is to those around him. According to him, 'the organisation' that secretly rules the world, is out to get him because he knows too much. Naturally, this is just more of his nonsense.

one day, while attending a seminar, he witnesses the death of a girl he only just met, sending a message to his best friend shortly after. It just so happens that this message travels back in time 5 days, due to their microwave time machine. This simple act changes the world and causes a series of events to unfold that involve lots of time travel and morale choices. Some of which, alter things for the worse when an organisation called SERN begins taking interest in the time machine.

Twitter

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by trooper6 »

I don't think SilverSea will like DDLC. From the way they spoke, they feel uncomfortable with romance elements when the characters are underage. And in DDLC there are not only romance elements, but also people underage expressing sexual feelings. I think SilverSea should avoid it.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

trooper6 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:39 pm I don't think SilverSea will like DDLC. From the way they spoke, they feel uncomfortable with romance elements when the characters are underage. And in DDLC there are not only romance elements, but also people underage expressing sexual feelings. I think SilverSea should avoid it.
Guess I never saw that particular route. One of the majorly annoying things about how DDLC works, to explore the other routes you need to play THE ENTIRE game again. I believe the expression is "yeah F that"

Twitter

SilverSea

#9 Post by SilverSea »

I played ripples, it was a very nice game and was sweet without being cheesy.

@trooper6
I do dissaprove of underage romance, particularly when the character is under 16. In Long Live the Queen the coming of age(when people can get married) age was 15 and some of her suitors were in their 30's. She spends most of the game as a 14 year old, if I had ever played the game I probably would have made her marry Adair every time because he's a year younger and they end up being more like good friends then romantic partners. Someday I want to make a game like Long Live the Queen but without the marrage/romance stuff.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by trooper6 »

Yes, I picked up on your discomfort with romance stories involving people under 18. This is why I don’t recommend Doki Doki Literature Club for you...even if it isn’t really a romance. I think Magical Diary is wonderful...but you shouldn’t play that either, because it is set in high school and you can romance people.

It is a bit tricky because so many people in the genre really enjoy high school romance there will be a lot of games you just can’t play. But there are asexual games out there!
A Close Shave:

MI_Buddy
Regular
Projects: Breakdown, Showpony
Tumblr: joshpowlison
Deviantart: MI-Buddy
Github: joshpowlison
Soundcloud: joshpowlison
itch: joshpowlison

#11 Post by MI_Buddy »

Ones that come to mind:

Mimi Nezumi
Juniper's Knot (dark content, some swearing IIRC)
True Remembrance (I'm paranoid to mention this one, because there *might* be an underage romance (in this case 17 YO, but they look much younger) but the first time I read through I took it as more of a family-ish friendship. I don't remember if it was explicitly stated either way. That's all I'll say. Some mild language)
Writer/Programmer
KNs/VNS completed: Breakdown
KNs/VNs in development: Caravan, Project Foresight (working title)
Resources: Your Story Now!: YouTube series Showpony: web vn engine Free software list Free stock list

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#12 Post by Zelan »

First of all, it's been a while since I played any of these VNs, so I apologize in advance if I've forgotten any offensive dialogue that might be present. That said, I don't remember any of these games having overly lewd references, and none of them are what you would call a traditional dating sim.

LAST CALL focuses on the rebuilding of relationships. At the start of the game you choose either the protagonist's brother or her best friend, and as the conversation goes on the characters' backstories are slowly revealed. Very character-driven.

Palette Swap is a very surreal game, and may not really be your kind of game if you're not a fan of stuff that's sometimes nonsensical or hard to wrap your head around. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it very much and there are no romantic elements.

Reflections on the River is an interesting fantasy story with two different friendship routes and a lot of different endings to find. This VN is actually one of my personal favorites due to the amazing story and art, so I highly recommend this one. (Also, this was made by the same people who made LAST CALL, so although they're very different games, if you like one you might like the other.)

Those Without Names features characters who are younger than in the aforementioned games, but there is no romance due to the fact that the main characters are siblings. There is one character who, if I recall correctly, is somewhat flirtatious, but he has very few lines of dialogue compared to the main characters and doesn't even have a sprite. This one one of the VNs that I played when I was really new to the scene and it stuck with me; also significant for being the first VN that I played to make me cry.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#13 Post by wyverngem »

That's a harder list I think to make, but there are definitely games out there that don't have cursing or lewd situations. My own creations don't have either as I tend to keep them written so that a younger sibling could read them. Though Simple as Snow has some gore and fighting, there's no actual cursing, lewd scenes, or graphic descriptions of the gore. Personally, I'd rather have a list of more dramatic stories rather then something cute with "friendship routes". Slice of Life bores me greatly, and high school puts me to sleep as it's always the same story.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by trooper6 »

SilverSea, I just had another thought for you!

You could check out the website VNsnow.com. It is a review site for English visual novels and the main reviewer is pretty socially conservative. He doesn’t like lewd things and there are a number of other themes he doesn’t like. So reading his reviews might give you a sense of what sort of content the VNs have.
A Close Shave:

SilverSea

#15 Post by SilverSea »

@zelan
I will take a look at those, I've gotten into the habit of always reading reviews and stuff before getting into a piece of media. Negative reviews are particularly useful since they are more likely to complain about content.

@wyverngem
The only Slice of life thing I've looked at was Ripples which was short and good but I'd probably run into the same problems if I looked at more then a couple of games in the genre. I actually relate better to fantacy worlds then I do to modern ones.

@trooper6
Sweet! I will most definitely check that out.

Thank you all for your suggestions, now if I ever get to the point where I can play things again I'll have lots of stuff to choose from.