Layered Images and ATL

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

Layered Images and ATL

#1 Post by mitoky »

Hello!

I happen to stumble upon a few issues (i think are issues) with Layered Sprites and ATL.

1.) I noticed that when i show a layered image with a custom transform dissolve it shows weirdly.

2.) Also i noticed that when you define a sprite version with LayeredImageProxy and change one the attribute directly in the image name with atl, the rest of the image changes to the default too as if you are showing it "completly" new.

Example:
image mimi far = LayeredImageProxy("mimi_orginal_one", Transform(zoom=(0.6)))
image mimi close = LayeredImageProxy("mimi_orginal_one", Transform(zoom=(1.0)))

When i show only "mimi" + an attribute of the Layered Image, it works. However when i change between "far" and "close", hence write "mimi close/mimi far" then the attributes in the layered image get reset to the default ones. Again, only happens when using ATL for dissolve, with normal dissolve it works.

These issues may be small but since ATL is very handy hence use it a lot. It limits that it doesnt works properly with layered images (like having a sprite appear while moving in an dissolve etc)

My questiion: Is there any way to get ATL dissolved etc properly working with the new feature?

On a smaller note (i hope i may say this) i have a small critique:
I like that by having the layered image you are able to have diffrent versions (like "layeredimage mimi standing" and "layeredimage mimi sitting") you can have custom expressions for each.
But the drawback is that when you have exactly the same ones and only want to change pose (or an arm) you have to think of what expression is currently showing unless you want the default ones, while with diffrent poses making "mimi_one" "mimi_two" for example would be easier as one can simply use "hide" and then show, since the images look would default to the default's either way (if those are given and if not default, again, in both cases one would write the attributes they wanted)

Simply put, an additional "hide mimi_one" would be easier effort seen in the long term and both can be done, while like this only changing the pose quickly while maintaining expression is more tedious. Of course, that is only my opinion and i otherwise love the new layered image feature!
I would love to hear what others think on this matter.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Layered Images and ATL

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I have arm pose changes in my layeredimage without having to have to different sprites. My layered image has arm changes, hand changes, clothing changes, all sorts of changes all in the one sprite. So maybe you could alter how you put your layered images together?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

#3 Post by mitoky »

trooper6 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:08 am I have arm pose changes in my layeredimage without having to have to different sprites. My layered image has arm changes, hand changes, clothing changes, all sorts of changes all in the one sprite. So maybe you could alter how you put your layered images together?
Thank you for the advice! Yes, i agree, for small changes within the image that makes sense.
I think my main problem is the "attributes within the same tag stay unless stated otherwise" mindset is still strong embedded. So i wonder if there is any possibility or way for layered images to overtake the attributes within the same tag or a work around.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#4 Post by Arowana »

I think this issue sounds similar to the one I reported here:
https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues/1517

Take a look and maybe leave a comment if your problem is related? I also find the "resetting" or "forgetting" of attributes troublesome (especially since it seems to be inconsistent in some cases), so it would be great to draw more attention to the issue if you're experiencing similar things. :D
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)