BARA JAM 2018

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
MonsoonMushroom
Regular
Projects: Fate of the Squire
Organization: MonsoonMushroom

Re: BARA JAM 2018

#16 Post by MonsoonMushroom »

While I'm not sure if I could participate in this jam (I have many game ideas to work through after my current project, and I wouldn't class any of them as bara) I totally support this idea. We could do with more LGBTQIA jams, particularly when there are so many sub-genres that appeal to very different audiences.

This will hopefully encourage people who've never made bara games (or stick to the more typically bishounen style of yaoi) to experiment a little, generate some more titles for the genre (more variety, always good) and maybe most importantly draw people who like bara (or didn't realise what they were missing until they saw what bara is) to follow/support VN developers. Everyone wins!

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#17 Post by illuminate001 »

Hi everyone! Wow, what a great number of responses I've been getting from LSF and itch showing support. I was testing the waters to see if this jam was even something people would want, (the game industry has taught me, there's no point in delivering a product that no one asked for) but I can confidently say that BaraJam2018 will be beginning November 1st.2018!

I've updated the first posts to reflect that, and will announce to everyone when I've gone and created the jam up on itch.io. Please spread the word to potential creators/players who'd be interested, post and blog about it and just generally tell people how awesome bara is!

@trooper6: Aw thank you! Actually I don't know if you saw, but you were credited under LMA's special thanks for all your help trouble shooting various coding bugs/issues I was having! You are a lifesaver.

@Hijiri: Omgosh I hope so! lol. Can I tell you what I secretly hope for? A bara take on Death Rule XD

@PM: I do hope you can participate at some capacity. Especially now that it's been moved to Nov. Also, thanks again for helping with the description for BaraJam.

@poorlyformed: Oooh! Good to see you throw your hat in! The sprites poorlyformed is doing for Shadowburg, I can totally say would work for a bara game, especially Niron. <3 hit them up!

@Potouto: Thanks for the correspondence and support! About co-hosting, we'll cross that bridge and discuss it when the time is closer. :D

@KillerQueen: You had me at "wrestlers" heh, I do hope you can participate. ^_^ Please let me know if there's anything I can do to make the first BaraJam experience better.

@MonsoonMushroom: This is why I'm hosting the jam in the first place, you stated the intent and spirit behind it perfectly!
Last edited by illuminate001 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran

#18 Post by illuminate001 »

One last thing, I'll be creating a Discord for participants but also for those just generally interested in BaraJam. It'll be a forum for people to shoot the shit, but also come together and find teammates and more!

I'll share that Discord link when the time comes. Thanks!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#19 Post by Aviala »

illuminate001 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:23 pm
@Aviala: Hey! I've been an admirer of your art for some time now! I do hope you can still join despite BaraJam probably being moved to November. Anyone looking to create a game and needs an artist should def hit Aviala up!
Aaahh thank you? I don't get a lot of comments about my art so I appreciate it! :') I'll always be busy so it doesn't matter when the jam is since I always take on new projects, I'll just carve out time for the jam somehow :''D (though like I mentioned I can unfortunately only do a few sprites for free cause I gotta pay my bills).

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#20 Post by trooper6 »

@illuminate001 I did see the shoutout in the credits! Thanks for that, I'm touched! Looking forward to your next project!

Cheers!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

SilverHyena
Veteran
Completed: Sacred Sand (BxB), Mira's Magical Mishap (GxG), Ben and the Devil, Cute Demon Crashers (GxB/G) (18+), Heirs and Graces (BxB), My Magical Divorce Bureau (AllxAll), Essence Hunt (BxB)
Deviantart: http://silverhyena.d
itch: https://silverhyena.

#21 Post by SilverHyena »

Well, I'm hopping on the bandwagon. I'd like to try making something for this jam. The more bxb content out there the merrier! :mrgreen:

Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

#22 Post by Red-Baby »

I'm for it.
=]

Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

#23 Post by Dovahkitteh »

As I mentioned to Illum, I'd probably be able to hop on a project in a small/side role! I would like to see some more bara games to balance out all the skinny bishounen (bless them), so I'm all for this jam. Who's ready to make a JoJo doujin game

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

saturday
Completed: WORST DATING SIM
Projects: Virgin Campaign

#24 Post by saturday »

(brings more attention to this thread bc this is such a niche theme that needs more exposure)

illuminate001
Veteran

#25 Post by illuminate001 »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Ooh! For the record, anyone who ends up becoming a co-host is fully encouraged to still submit an entry into BaraJam. I've spoken to several potential co-hosts and co-hosting duties won't be that taxing, since I think we'll end up having several co-hosts and duties can be divided so everyone has a pretty light load.**
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@SilverHyena: Yay!!! I know you mentioned that your BxB games tend to be more yaoi in appearance, but I'm confident in your ability to draw buff dudes, like you were saying. ;) How's that coming along?

@Dovah: I totally agree. Especially since theres much more bishounen content (but hey, a ton of them weight lighter than a few meathead bara guys so hopefully that balances the scale out lol jk) Oh btw, I dwnlded Dry Delight today and will be playing it.

@RedBaby: I appreciate your support! I'll keep you in the loop when I figure out more of what we need k

@Saturday: It's true, it is alittle niche. However, bara seems to gaining alot of traction, at least here in west, where male idealized bodies tend to be more muscular anyways. Also, I just want more BxB content lol.
ImageImage
ImageImage

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#26 Post by trooper6 »

I generally just want more BxB content coming from a queer perspective for queer audiences rather than BxB content for straight women. I don't actually need the fellows to all be bears or look like they all stepped out of a Tom of Finland drawing. I'd just like some good, honest queer stories.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#27 Post by Heiden »

I'd be interested in participating! :D
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

SilverHyena
Veteran
Completed: Sacred Sand (BxB), Mira's Magical Mishap (GxG), Ben and the Devil, Cute Demon Crashers (GxB/G) (18+), Heirs and Graces (BxB), My Magical Divorce Bureau (AllxAll), Essence Hunt (BxB)
Deviantart: http://silverhyena.d
itch: https://silverhyena.

#28 Post by SilverHyena »

illuminate001 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:37 pm @SilverHyena: Yay!!! I know you mentioned that your BxB games tend to be more yaoi in appearance, but I'm confident in your ability to draw buff dudes, like you were saying. ;) How's that coming along?
Well, let's just say I still have a few months to figure it out. :shock: (I'm just kidding. The situation isn't that grim. My muscular dudes are still a bit scrawny compared to most bara guys, but I think they're serviceable. I'll keep practicing anyway. It's about time I branched out with body types.)

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#29 Post by Hijiri »

illuminate001 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:10 pm @Hijiri: Omgosh I hope so! lol. Can I tell you what I secretly hope for? A bara take on Death Rule XD
But I already have bara bait in the game with Hector there. (Or at least, in regards to how I draw him...)
My idea is certainly in the dark side of things, but I'm sure people will have fun with it. (Well, I'll have fun watching people's reaction to it.)
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

#30 Post by Boniae »

OHHH MAN this is my JAM... :D I'm hoping I'll have some free time during November since there's an idea I have in mind, but if not, I may be willing to lend my hand as an artist for a team. Thanks so much for pulling this together Illuminate! I'm excited to see what comes out of this jam!