Ren'Py 7.1.0 Prereleased

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Ren'Py 7.1.0 Prereleased

#46 Post by Imperf3kt »

Not anymore, but previously if your app didn't include in app purchases, it didn't require signing.
I can confirm this because I'm looking at the version of an app I uploaded to Google Play store a year ago and it has unsigned in the apk name, yet Google accepted it.

I've never seen more than one apk built with previous Android builds. Maybe it depended on the configuration chosen.

Edit:
Although labelled as unsigned, checking the info on the Play store shows it is actually signed.
Oh well, my mistake.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

FroGlenn
Regular

#47 Post by FroGlenn »

PyTom wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:59 am I've uploaded an updated version which should work alot better.
Thank you for your work Tom.

I created a new android studio project when 7.1.0 was released and customized it a lot since. Do you think I should update renpy and import the new apk file and customize it again?

FroGlenn
Regular

#48 Post by FroGlenn »

PyTom wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:59 am I've uploaded an updated version which should work alot better.
I tried the new update, but I'm having a problem. I dont know if you can help.

Everytime I att my app before this update, rapt created an updated Constants.java file. I could get the fileSize to update in my Android Studio generated apk so I could use the obb file.

But now there is no updated Constants.java file. So I cant use my AS customized apk.

Do you have any insight how I can deal with this?

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#49 Post by jack_norton »

Updated to the latest pre-release, again the memory bug. I would really suggest Pytom to put a value like:
-Xmx512M
in the gradle.properties, since even people with 16/32Gb won't be able to create an APK with higher values (and honestly it doesn't change anything, it's not like the build is slower?).
Apart this, now the produced APK are good, signed. Going to try again to publish them :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

JackDoe

#50 Post by JackDoe »

jack_norton wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:06 am I would really suggest Pytom to put a value like: -Xmx512M in the gradle.properties
That would be awesome. When I open my project in Android Studio to fix memory bug I always get new errors.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#51 Post by jack_norton »

Republished the game it was removed with the new version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cheartdemo
(had to censor a girl in bikini... lol).
If anyone want to try and confirm the IAP works (no need to buy of course, you can just tap and see if the purchase windows shows up) since I already bought it with my test account and I cannot repeat the purchase :mrgreen:
But it should work I think...
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

FroGlenn
Regular

#52 Post by FroGlenn »

jack_norton wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:32 am Republished the game it was removed with the new version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cheartdemo
(had to censor a girl in bikini... lol).
If anyone want to try and confirm the IAP works (no need to buy of course, you can just tap and see if the purchase windows shows up) since I already bought it with my test account and I cannot repeat the purchase :mrgreen:
But it should work I think...
Congrats. I saw your GP page and you have a lot of published games.

I'm going to play all and try to learn!

FroGlenn
Regular

#53 Post by FroGlenn »

JackDoe wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 am Game uploaded to Google Play doesn't work with Android 7.0. It freezes on "Starting..." screen without any errors. It work fine on 4.4.2 and 5.1.
Game is set in landscape orientation. It also loading default RenPy icon instead of custom one.
I'm having the same problem now.

Checking the Google Play Console pre-release testing, every device with 6.0 or higher is getting the "Starting" problem or something similar.

Android 5.1 or below are doing fine tho.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#54 Post by PyTom »

For the record, I released a new version of Ren'Py last night, that I believe should fix all problems, except the one FroGlenn wrote about Constants.java. Certainly, it runs fine on my Android Pie phone. If you're having problems with a version built recently. (Say, with a Ren'Py updated after you see this post.) I'd like to know about it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

FroGlenn
Regular

#55 Post by FroGlenn »

PyTom wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:26 pm For the record, I released a new version of Ren'Py last night, that I believe should fix all problems, except the one FroGlenn wrote about Constants.java. Certainly, it runs fine on my Android Pie phone. If you're having problems with a version built recently. (Say, with a Ren'Py updated after you see this post.) I'd like to know about it.
Thank you, Tom. I would like to test the version you uploaded yesterday in the alpha version of my published game.

Do you know how can import the project generated from yesterday version to Android Studio to customize it?

FroGlenn
Regular

#56 Post by FroGlenn »

Worked on the "Starting" problem for a day and looks like I implemented a solution that solved my case. I'm going to talk briefly about it.

I dont know if this problem was solved in the last renpy update. I could not use it, cause of the AS import.

The problem only happens if you use OBB (expansion pack) in your game. So, android has a default save location for obb files (Android/obb/package.name) and renpy was checking the wrong folder for the obb file (Android/data), so even downloading the obb file from PS, the game would download it again.

So you will have two obb files, one in the default location and other renpy downloaded in the data folder. This is not a problem for most devices, but some of them dont have permission to save obb in the data folder, so the download do not complete and you cant play the game.

What I did was change the Downloader code to check the right folder using Google Documentation example instead of the default check.

It is working for me for now. If this was not solved in the last update, I think Tom should test it, because this problem started with the new 7.1.0 release.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#57 Post by PyTom »

Do you have an example of what you did? I want to make sure I get this right, but I'm not 100% clear what the problem is. Ren'Py should be asking the license library where the obb is, so I'm wondering if that's not working.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

FroGlenn
Regular

#58 Post by FroGlenn »

PyTom wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:52 pm Do you have an example of what you did? I want to make sure I get this right, but I'm not 100% clear what the problem is. Ren'Py should be asking the license library where the obb is, so I'm wondering if that's not working.
This is the default check:

Code: Select all

String getExpansionFile(boolean checkLength) {
        String fileName = Helpers.getExpansionAPKFileName(this, true, org.renpy.android.Constants.fileVersion);

{
        	String fullFileName = Helpers.generateSaveFileName(this, fileName);
        	if (checkExpansionFile(fullFileName, checkLength)) {
        		return fullFileName;
        	}
        }

return null;
    }
The method is called two times:

public void startPython() {

String expansionFile = getExpansionFile(false);
And here:

@Override
    public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {

super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);

String expansionFile = getExpansionFile(true);
What I did was create one new method to check the obb location and return a string. The code is a modification from Google's example code:

private final static String EXP_PATH = "/Android/obb/";

String getAPKExpansionFiles() {
        String packageName = this.getPackageName();
        if (Environment.getExternalStorageState().equals(Environment.MEDIA_MOUNTED)) {
            // Build the full path to the app's expansion files
            File root = Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory();
            File expPath = new File(root.toString() + EXP_PATH + packageName);

// Check that expansion file path exists
            if (expPath.exists()) {
                if ( org.renpy.android.Constants.fileVersion > 0 ) {
                    String strMainPath = expPath + File.separator + "main." + org.renpy.android.Constants.fileVersion + "." + packageName + ".obb";
                    File main = new File(strMainPath);
                    if ( main.isFile() ) {
                        return strMainPath;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
        return null;
    }
I tested it in 6 devices and it worked, but I dont have java coding skills, so I cant point the origin of the problem or give much more info. I'm just doing some studying and testing to learn.

I dont know what is going to happen if someone deletes the obb and needs to redownload it. Probably he will need to download de app again...

(EDIT)

I deleted the obb file and the downloader worked fine. I dont know why, but it saved the new obb in the default obb folder...

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#59 Post by Zetsubou »

Fresh download from the pre-release channel.
Linux Mint 19. Python 2.7 is installed. /data is writeable.
Error occurs when trying to build an Android app.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/android.rpy", line 483, in <module>
  File "game/android.rpy", line 269, in android_build
  File "game/mobilebuild.rpy", line 196, in call
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "launcher/game/android.rpyc", line 483, in script
  File "/data/renpy-beta/renpy/ast.py", line 885, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "/data/renpy-beta/renpy/python.py", line 1912, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/android.rpy", line 483, in <module>
  File "game/android.rpy", line 269, in android_build
  File "/data/renpy-beta/rapt/buildlib/rapt/build.py", line 579, in build
    iface.call([ plat.gradlew, "-p", plat.path("project") ] + commands, cancel=True)
  File "game/mobilebuild.rpy", line 196, in call
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1335, in _execute_child
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

Linux-4.15.0-20-generic-x86_64-with-debian-buster-sid
Ren'Py 7.1.0.820
Ren'Py Launcher 7.1.0.820
Sat Sep  1 16:10:26 2018
I don't know if these were hard-coded in the pre-release build intentionally, but I tried grepping for /home/tom and got this:

grep -r "/home/tom/" --include \*.c --include \*.rpy .
./launcher/game/options.rpy:    build.mac_codesign_command = [ "/home/tom/ab/renpy-deps/mac/mac_sign_client.sh", "{identity}", "{app}" ]
./launcher/game/options.rpy:    build.mac_create_dmg_command = [ "/home/tom/ab/renpy-deps/mac/mac_dmg_client.sh", "{identity}", "{volname}", "{sourcedir}", "{dmg}" ]
./module/gen/renpy.gl.gltexture.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_gl_glte[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/gl/gltexture.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.display.render.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_display[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/display/render.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.audio.renpysound.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_audio_r[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/audio/renpysound.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.display.accelerator.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_display[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/display/accelerator.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.pydict.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_pydict[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/pydict.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.gl.glrtt_copy.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_gl_glrt[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/gl/glrtt_copy.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.angle.glrtt_fbo.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_angle_g[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/angle/glrtt_fbo.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.angle.glenviron_shader.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_angle_g[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/angle/glenviron_shader.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.style.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_style_p[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/style.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.gl.gldraw.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_gl_gldr[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/gl/gldraw.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.gl.glenviron_shader.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_gl_glen[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/gl/glenviron_shader.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.text.ftfont.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_text_ft[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/text/ftfont.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.parsersupport.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_parsers[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/parsersupport.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.angle.gldraw.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_angle_g[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/angle/gldraw.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.text.texwrap.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_text_te[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/text/texwrap.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.angle.gltexture.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_angle_g[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/angle/gltexture.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.gl.glrtt_fbo.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_gl_glrt[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/gl/glrtt_fbo.pyx";
./module/gen/renpy.angle.glrtt_copy.c:static const char __pyx_k_home_tom_ab_renpy_renpy_angle_g[] = "/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/angle/glrtt_copy.pyx";
Many .pyo files matched as well.
So I'm guessing a hard-coded string somewhere is telling Renpy to look for the Python 2.7 installation on your machine instead of mine?
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

JackDoe

#60 Post by JackDoe »

I'm still having the "Starting..." problem with the latest update.