Lemma Soft Forums Reception Desk

New here? Be sure to read these important posts, and then sign our guestbook.
Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Lemma Soft Forums Reception Desk

#46 Post by Imperf3kt »

Since you'll be graded on your programming rather than the artwork (unless this is an art class?) don't fret too much. Use anything, even clip art would work enough.

However, I suggest trying the services offered subforum and see if anyone is offering free artwork or perhaps someone already has some artwork you may use. UncleMugen, for instance, has a lot of background material you can use freely. Modifications are both allowed and encouraged.

You could also check Google or your search engine of choice, for "cc0" also known as "creative commons zero" or other creative commons licensed material you may use (just make sure to follow the full terms of the license the material is released under)
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

#47 Post by Inksword »

chocochino wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:53 am Hello! I've just created my account in response to my ... circumstances.

One of my lecturer assigned Ren'py-based VN as our end-of-term project (again). While in the last term I managed to learn basic of Ren'py (and thanks a lot to you, guys), the result was really rushed and unsatisfying. This time, I aim to submit a VN that is, at least, worthy enough to be a demo for crowdfunding (my GPA depends on this!)

Problem is, all I can do was programming and writing. I have no artists at all, and being a college student, I also don't have enough budget to hire artists. I also really had no idea about VN development and I really like to get some insight about how things works.

What should I do, especially regarding to my lack of artist?
Do you have art students at your school? You might be able to do an exchange of talent with them, programming a website for them or a game idea they want to do in exchange for drawing for you. You should also take a look at the Recruitment and Services Offered forum. There's a subforum there where you can post stating that you're a looking for an artist who is willing to work with you for free. Otherwise, I suggest looking into the Creative Commons forums here. People post free-to-use sprites, backgrounds and even music or places where you can find them. If you want to eventually crowdfund, I suggest looking for original sprites though, as art and whether it's unique or not is a big draw for people.

chocochino
Projects: An Edelweiss' Resolve
Tumblr: choc-chino
Github: chocochino
Soundcloud: chocochino
itch: chocochino

#48 Post by chocochino »

Thank you for the suggestion! Hopefully I can manage to finish this one ... since most of my project submission are last-minute work :')
Inksword wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 pm
Do you have art students at your school? You might be able to do an exchange of talent with them, programming a website for them or a game idea they want to do in exchange for drawing for you. You should also take a look at the Recruitment and Services Offered forum. There's a subforum there where you can post stating that you're a looking for an artist who is willing to work with you for free. Otherwise, I suggest looking into the Creative Commons forums here. People post free-to-use sprites, backgrounds and even music or places where you can find them. If you want to eventually crowdfund, I suggest looking for original sprites though, as art and whether it's unique or not is a big draw for people.
Whoa! I forgot that I used to do a talent exchange with an artist in a small-scale. Yeah, that could work.

bicyclesonthemoon

#49 Post by bicyclesonthemoon »

Hello,
I created the user account on these forums because I came to ask for help
after a first look I don't know where is the right place to post my question.
I'm having problems with a translation of a renpy made game not working on Gnu/Linux (even when original does) because of what seems to be a problem with the utf8 encoding of some .rpy file.
I tried to find out what to do by myself and failed.
So I wanted to ask here because for sure there are people here who know themselves on renpy very well and maybe someone will be able to answer.
I don't know where to post the question and description of the problem I'm having.
Thanks in advance.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love, unknown
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations

#50 Post by xavimat »

bicyclesonthemoon wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:01 pm Hello,
I created the user account on these forums because I came to ask for help
after a first look I don't know where is the right place to post my question.
I'm having problems with a translation of a renpy made game not working on Gnu/Linux (even when original does) because of what seems to be a problem with the utf8 encoding of some .rpy file.
I tried to find out what to do by myself and failed.
So I wanted to ask here because for sure there are people here who know themselves on renpy very well and maybe someone will be able to answer.
I don't know where to post the question and description of the problem I'm having.
Thanks in advance.
Hi, bicyclesonthemoon, welcome to the forum.
"Game not working" is a vague description. I think you should go to the subforum "RenPy Questions and announcements" (viewforum.php?f=8) and open a new topic describing what is actually happening, what game it is, what version, etc.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#51 Post by Donmai »

As xavimat said. Anyway, that seems to be a simple case of saving your translation (and any other script files) with utf8 encoding. That won't guarantee that everything will work, though. There may be other debugging actions to proceed after that.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

NotReality_
Projects: Little Slice Of My Life
Github: HakaseHamdani

#52 Post by NotReality_ »

I don't know where to post this, so i post this here.
I currently using RenPy 7.0.0.196 that come with two example project, the Tutorial and The Question.
So my question is what license used by the bg image in The Questions?
Because, i was using it in my project. And, maybe i will release my project under CC or similar.

(Sorry if my english looks bad. English is not my first language.)
Sorry if my English is terrible. English is not my first language.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers

#53 Post by Donmai »

Don't worry, English is not my first language either :) . The latest versions of The Question are using backgrounds created by Mugenjohnson. He's a member here and you can PM him regarding any question (no pun intended). "Uncle" Mugen releases a lot of material in the Creative Commons section of this very forum: viewforum.php?f=52&sid=89339775f2adaaf8bf8f13891068fbb5
Mugen's thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=17302
That's a gigantic thread, but I believe you will find the post where he states the license to his works at the very beginning. :) .
Good luck with your project, have fun and welcome to the forum.

Xanedis
Projects: Project LB
Tumblr: xanedis
Deviantart: Xanedis

#54 Post by Xanedis »

Heyo! I'm Xanedis, a writer and a total bumblehead who posted a recruitment post before introducing himself on this thread. My solemn apologies. :/

To lessen the gravity of my mistake, here's a question for you people - how should I get involved with the community here? I DO intend to stay quite a while, you guys seem like knowledgeable folk. :D

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#55 Post by xavimat »

Xanedis wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:59 pmhere's a question for you people - how should I get involved with the community here? I DO intend to stay quite a while, you guys seem like knowledgeable folk. :D
Welcome, Xanedis.
It depends on what section of the forum are you interested in.
As a writer, you can read and give your opinion in the creators subforum. There are interesting threads about creating characters, defining villains, structuring plots, etc.
Your vision will be very welcomed in the "Completed Games" and "Work in Progress" subforums. The more you give interesting insights and opinions, the more people will be grateful to you and maybe will be willing to help when you need something.

By December, usually there is a Secret Santa thread, by March there is the NanoReno jam. These experiences help the community bond.
Welcome again and have fun!

Xanedis
Projects: Project LB
Tumblr: xanedis
Deviantart: Xanedis

#56 Post by Xanedis »

Thank you, I will. :D

This might be something of a side trek, but how do you people organize Secret Santa here on Lemma Soft Forums?

EDIT: *facepalm* I'll have to remember that there's a search function on this site...

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#57 Post by xavimat »

Xanedis wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:30 pmhow do you people organize Secret Santa here on Lemma Soft Forums?
It's pretty fun, actually: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=46692

darknessafallen
Projects: Minuit Square [GxB]
Tumblr: k-marie-lagesse
Deviantart: darknessafallen

#58 Post by darknessafallen »

Hello, I am very new to this whole Ren'py idea. I like VNs, have since the first one I read a few years back. I love to write, I'm pretty good too and have great ideas (in my opinion at the least). I'm a bit of a fantasy writer and have no idea where to begin. I can't seem to understand how to even go about learning how to use Ren'py because just reading any instruction is a chore for me. I'm not sure if I have ADD or something, because I cannot focus very long at learning new things on my own. With help I never turn away my attention.
My question is, because there is a question, where would I start looking for help? It would be my first work on a VN and I like to write, but I don't know how to go about it. I wouldn't have any money to pay for assistance, but I would like to be able to gain some practice and know-how in the subject of creating a VN. I have a great idea, several actually, and don't know where to begin. I have a few concept art pieces, but my art isn't something I brag about because it is sorely lacking in practice.
I'm not sure where I would even post for help, because honestly it is, as one of the forums stated, at 'daydream' level at this moment. I have complete confidence that I could create this if I had serious help from people who really do know what they are doing. If starting on someone else's project is where I should begin, to help their 'daydream' become a reality, I'd gladly assist. I am not so hard-headed that I can't see that through practice and some recommendation I could one day work on my own projects. I suppose what I am saying is:

**Where should I begin in order to be able to write VNs as a common thing?**

I'd appreciate some insight, please and thanks ~Kat.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran

#59 Post by Donmai »

If you're a beginner, I'd suggest you play through the Ren'Py Tutorial Game, and read the Ren'Py Documentation Quickstart: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/quicksta ... quickstart

darknessafallen
Projects: Minuit Square [GxB]
Tumblr: k-marie-lagesse
Deviantart: darknessafallen

#60 Post by darknessafallen »

Donmai wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:02 pm If you're a beginner, I'd suggest you play through the Ren'Py Tutorial Game, and read the Ren'Py Documentation Quickstart: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/quicksta ... quickstart
Yes, sadly I've tried that... and I'm bullheaded at learning new things. I don't know why. I've attempted at figuring it out through 'The Question' many different times and can't seem to figure any of it out. I went to the page that walks you step by step and really can't seem to understand most of what I read. I had a friend tell me they would help me learn while they were trying to learn to use it, but they ended up losing interest before we even started... sort of a bummer. My friend's interest came from wanting to help me make this game (had read the idea and the mostly put together storyline) but they always seem to leave me hanging at the last second in any side project we do together.

I guess what I am saying is: I had this idea started as of several months ago with complete certainty that we could get it done together. I really like the idea of working with other people, with other people there is more thought to any idea. My idea could use concept and thought from others to make it more appealing. I'll try to figure out Ren'Py again, I have no issues trying and trying and trying, my big deal is I'm not sure what to do once I've figured it out (if I figure it out).

Sure, if I figure it out I can then make the game, but I'd still be missing big pieces to any VN. Character Sprites (I can try to use my own but my art is sorely lacking), music (if so desired), CG's (if I can learn to draw people at a different angle and stance) and I'm sure there is a thousand more things on that list including the actual learning of using Ren'Py.

The proper question I should be asking is where would I even post anything? There are a thousand different threads and I don't want to post something where I shouldn't. I hate to be the eyesore on the wrong thread. Where would I post my 'daydream' idea at in order to stop making it a daydream?

Thanks for your help ~Kat.