misleading username [ critiques welcome! ]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Drew
Regular
Projects: SW-SEG
Tumblr: makefox
Deviantart: makefox

Re: misleading username [ critiques welcome! ]

#46 Post by Drew »

No problem; no excuse needed, everyone starts at 0; my figure drawing is terrible :)
Thank you so much for the markup and the gif you made!! It's very helpful!!
Thanks, glad it was of use.

The principles around projections like that are really helpful for setting up a scene.
It is actually on a hill, so how much does that change it from the markup you did?
Ah, I was afraid you were going to say that.

The principles remain the same but the details change. Also having the ground sloped makes the scene a lot more complicated as you've not got a uniform plane to work from as a base.

[quoteShould I make the horizon more curved to reflect this, too?[/quote]
No, only if hill top itself is curved would you see a curve to the visible horizon. At ground/sea level the curvature of the Earth isn't really visible.
Does the vanishing point always have to be in the very center?
No, in-fact vanishing points rarely are at the centre of an image.

Vanishing points are simply the point at which a set of parallel lines converge together at infinity. For lines parallel to the ground-plane (ie flat ground) this convergence point is always on the true-horizon. But the point is only at the centre of the image if the lines are parallel to the direction of the view.
Also, I tried to fix the perspective for the car, did I do it right? (note that the car is sorta turned, with the back end being closer to the viewer)
It looked okay but I didn't took at it that closely, complex objects like cars are a pain to get the perspective right on I find as they've got a lot of complicated geometry and as humans we're really aware of what a car looks like so if you make a mistake it's very obvious :(

I'll post this now and then do an image to explain/expand on some of that.
Peace!

My art blog: http://makefox.tumblr.com/

Drew
Regular

#47 Post by Drew »

Hi, few shots of a paint-over the show things.

I had to drop the quality to get them to a sensible up-load size so hopefully they're still readable.
robovelociraptor_20170517_01_M.jpg
1, 2, and 3 point perspective. Everything had multiple points of perspective but normally for scenes you can 'cheat' and use only one or two, as if the effect of one of the degrees of perspective is very slight it's not noticeable and can be ignored. So although vertical lines should have perspective applied to them usually you don't have to worry about it.
robovelociraptor_20170517_02_M.jpg
The visible horizon is where the ground and sky touch, at the top of the hill in this case. The true horizon is where the level 'ground' and sky meet. The horizontal/vertical eyeline is always in the centre of the image, like on a camera. As the eyeline is about mid thigh the camera is either very low or looking down, because you cannot see the underside of her hat, chin or chest it means the eye must be looking down so the true-horizon must be above the eyeline (when the eye is level the horizontal eyeline and true-horizon are the same). So I've roughed in an approximate true horizon.
robovelociraptor_20170517_03_M.jpg
Looking at a reference an average woman comes up to the roof of a car at about shoulder height (the perspective in the ref is different but you can interpolate from it). You'd corrected the vanishing point for the girl but at the visible horizon, but instead it should be a bit lower at the true-horizon (as this vanishing point is only used for setting scale it's okay to use 1-point perspective around the centre of the image). Then knowing that the tyre must touch the ground I can project back to the perspective lines of the girl and scale accordingly. (Cars are hard - but can be easier to scale if you think they have to exist inside of a box, scale/project the box right, then you can scale the car right).
robovelociraptor_20170517_04_M.jpg
Hills are rarely a straight slope, typically they have a curve that levels off at the top. Perspective on a curved surface takes some practice as effectively none of the lines are truly parallel. I've shown roughly how this effects the road. I've also roughed in a bit of a bank raising away from the road, it's not perspective but it helps show the shape of the terrain.
robovelociraptor_20170517_05_M.jpg
The garage as shown would be very big, like and aircraft hanger, as things get further back they get less wide quicker than they get less tall (if that makes sense) - this is called foreshortening. I've tried to explain it roughly on the side of this image. But the basic rule is 'things are almost always narrower than you think'
There are also some general things about hills and terrain, typically if a road, drive-way, house, or garage is built on a slope, whilst the main road might follow the slope going up the hill anything joining onto it will almost certainly be built on a level foundation, so you'll see a stepped effect; hills add a load of complexity :) - if you just keep you're eyes out during the day you'll probably see what I mean.

This is an extreme example:
This street is a bit more normal, the building, doors etc are all on a flat level, even though the hills slopes, so they have different perspective effects to the ground/road:
Peace!

robovelociraptor
Regular
Deviantart: robovelociraptor

#48 Post by robovelociraptor »

Alright! Made adjustments my drawing based on your suggestions, and I think it looks considerably better than before! What do you think?
fix928.png
I messed with the composition a bit, and ended up cropping it + moving some things around, too. Also, I know that based on where I placed the lines for the road, the back end of the car would be off the road, but I like where it's at and I want the scene to be sorta chaotic. (I'll probably add skid marks to further emphasize that or something.)

All the info you've provided me with has been endlessly helpful! Thank you so much for your time and patience! ^^

Drew
Regular

#49 Post by Drew »

Hi,
Been buried by work.

Yes that looks good, there are a few things with some of the less major perspective, but that's come a long way. Yeah, having the car off the road is no issue at all, that kind of thing can happen.

If I get chance I'll mark up the couple of things I'd spotted, but looks good.
Peace!

robovelociraptor
Regular

#50 Post by robovelociraptor »

Drew wrote:Hi,
Been buried by work.

Yes that looks good, there are a few things with some of the less major perspective, but that's come a long way. Yeah, having the car off the road is no issue at all, that kind of thing can happen.

If I get chance I'll mark up the couple of things I'd spotted, but looks good.
That's okay! I haven't changed messed with the background (or made much progress on the characters lol), so whenever you get the chance/if you do, a markup sounds good! ^^

--

Anyway, it's been a while, so an update on WIPs:
asdijasdk.png
asdasd.png
I know that's not a lot, but I was playing vidya games I keep getting distracted. >>
I'm also doing Draw Everything June, so I'll probably post the first week of that soon, too.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#51 Post by Zelan »

Draw Everything June looks like a lot of work. 0_0 Good luck with it!

robovelociraptor
Regular

#52 Post by robovelociraptor »

yo, long time no see.

been busy with some stuff, a long story, but here we are now! hope you can enjoy my work once more. some of these are posted to my twitter, i should note, so if you've somehow seen any of these before, i have not become a plagiarist over the time i was absent lol.

garbage fixed uninstall.png
thotobelle.png
daft stud crop.png
delia.png
that's not all, however i shall show more periodically.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#53 Post by Zelan »

Welcome back!! :D I forgot I had this thread bookmarked lmao

I really like your new pieces! I can really tell by looking at them that you've come into your own sense of style - I don't really know how to describe it, but the new ones all just have this sort of sense of being done more confidently, if that makes sense? Also your Isabelle is just super cute. ^_^

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#54 Post by King-sama »

Nice works. You have improved (: What is your Twitter?

robovelociraptor
Regular

#55 Post by robovelociraptor »

@Zelan -- thank you very much, and i apologize for the late reply! mm, i get what you're saying, i do feel as though i'm more confident in what i want to make. i don't think every drawing is amazing by any means, but i am more comfortable pushing myself. :) thank you for your support!

@King-sama -- aw, thank you very much, king-sama!!

karin chan.png
hammond.png
d2.jpg
d1.jpg
kamitani.png
21030219380123123.png
aaaaaaaaaaanotthatgood.png
trying to show as much new stuff as i can here, but there is a ton haha. once again, i hope you enjoy! many of these are from early summer.
Last edited by robovelociraptor on Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#56 Post by Zelan »

Ahhh, the third one is my favorite! I don't know who those characters are but I can tell they're absolute babes.

These pieces do a great job of showing off the range within your style! They're all cartoony, but some are more cutesy-cartoony and others have a more realistic feel to them. ^_^

robovelociraptor
Regular

#57 Post by robovelociraptor »

haha, they're just designs, not specific characters at all. i wanted to try drawing kissing for the first time in a little less than a decade. why thank you! i've been trying to draw without focusing too hard on a consistent style. while i think it's better if you're offering commissions or working on a project, i want to keep trying different things and just have fun.

last three that i'm showing for now, next post won't be until i draw something new, unless i'm replying lol.
worst background of all time.png
ishouldstopdrawing.png
buniiii.png

robovelociraptor
Regular

#58 Post by robovelociraptor »

hello again, friends! back with some art after.. almost two years. whoopsies lol. hope everyone is doing well!
no guarantee i'll stick around, but here's some art i've done within this year. the lum drawing is the oldest of the bunch, as i started it back in july of 2019. i finished it in february of this year, however. i have drawn more than this since i've been gone, but those drawings are mostly WIPs that will never see the light of day or NSFW.
lum and firefly.png
corona whip.png
aqua.png
dawn redraw.png
(redraw of a piece i did before.)

can't tell you for certain what i'll be working on in the future, but i want to try and reading and doing exercises from "figure drawing - design and invention" by michael hampton. also need to work on backgrounds, of course. if anyone has some recommendations for books on drawing in perspective, drawing plant life, or anything else that would help with my backgrounds, i'd be happy to hear them! i will definitely be working on anatomy first, though.

have a great day, everyone!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#59 Post by Zelan »

DAWN!!! She's so cute! <3 All of your girls are cute, actually. I like the girl with the wings, especially her hairstyle!

robovelociraptor
Regular

#60 Post by robovelociraptor »

i missed your comments, zelan. :') glad you're still around! thank you very much!! i definitely enjoy drawing cute girls more than anything else.
hope you're having a great day! thanks for all your support, it means a lot to me! <3

edit: forgot to say, your pfp is super cute!