The Great Voyage [Pixel Art][Plot Driven][Steam]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Hanuli
Regular
Completed: The Great Voyage
Projects: Vengeful Heart
Deviantart: Hanuli
itch: Hanuli

The Great Voyage [Pixel Art][Plot Driven][Steam]

#1 Post by Hanuli »

WE HAVE LAUNCHED! YOU CAN FIND US HERE: itch.io Game Jolt Steam

---OVERVIEW---

The Great Voyage is my long-time project that I'm finally able to release. The story is about three very selfish people having to escape their besieged home city. During their journey they have to learn to understand the value of life in different ways.

The art style is inspired by some old japanese PC games, I saw screenshots of in twitter. Their names were "Possessioner" and "Virgin Angel" (googling will be NSFW-ish) I have been fascinated by pixel art for some time and decided to redraw all the art in the vn an this is the result. Putting limitations on the art style and the color palette helped me to make my art more cohesive since I have no personal style of my own.

To tell the truth, The Great Voyage has been "in production" for almost 7 years. The project lay abandoned in my old computer for years, until my anxiety about not finishing any of my projects kickstarted me to finish my oldest project after all these years. Understandably the writer of the story (a friend I'm doing this with) was no longer happy with his old text, so he rewrote the most offensive parts. You can read about his thoughts here.

---STORY---

The royal city of Flayes has been under siege for months. The food is running out everywhere but the royal court. High society lives like there's no tomorrow, and for a reason. One night the walls protecting the city break down and Vassan, Eugenie and Memnon are forced to accept reality, their homeland is no more. High society has raised these people extremely selfish, but as they flee Flayes they are forced to change their ways. But is it possible to value kindness and life in a world where individual lives have little value?

---CHARACTERS---

"No, I`m not having fun. Then again, when you`re at war and everyone around you is pretending it`s New Year`s Eve, are you supposed to? I feel its my fate to be alone in party crowds, and in good company only when I`m alone with a book. Or my quill."

"It`s not about the money, it`s about being free. And that`s a lot easier when you have money. Or are a man."

"Yes, life isn`t much more than the lies we tell ourselves. The trick is pick a fun lie and tell it well."

---BLOG---

There's a blog I made to document the progress we make in the game. There are a bunch of posts detailing some aspect of the production. :) If you are interested, you may find the blog here: https://ladybugs.svbtle.com/

---YOU!---

I want to hear YOUR thoughts about our VN! The reason we are releasing this for free is because we want maximum amount of feedback! Questions, comments, insults, everything is welcome! If our creation brings joy to even one of you, it was worth making it :)
Last edited by Hanuli on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SwanMaiden

Re: The Great Voyage [Pixel Art][Plot Driven][Free]

#2 Post by SwanMaiden »

You know what this art style reminds me of? Princess Maker 2, and that was a great game. The background of the palace you have here is phenomenal.

I'm intrigued by the premise and will have to give it a download soon!

Hanuli
Regular

Re: The Great Voyage [Pixel Art][Plot Driven][Free]

#3 Post by Hanuli »

SwanMaiden wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:02 am You know what this art style reminds me of? Princess Maker 2, and that was a great game. The background of the palace you have here is phenomenal.

I'm intrigued by the premise and will have to give it a download soon!
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it!

Hanuli
Regular

Re: The Great Voyage [Pixel Art][Plot Driven][Steam]

#4 Post by Hanuli »

We have released on steam! If you wanted The Great Voyage on Steam, you can now get it there!

Note that the game is not free on steam. The reason is that uploading to steam costs money, and we couldn't justify uploading it unless there was a way to recuperate, as there is no way of making the payment optional on steam.
If you absolutely don't want to give us money, the game is still free or optional payment on other sites :)

skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

#5 Post by skyeworks »

I have to download this! The story sounds intriguing and I love the art!!

Hanuli
Regular

#6 Post by Hanuli »

skyeworks wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:56 am I have to download this! The story sounds intriguing and I love the art!!
Thank you! We hope you enjoy it <3

skyeworks
Regular

#7 Post by skyeworks »

Hanuli wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:04 pm
skyeworks wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:56 am I have to download this! The story sounds intriguing and I love the art!!
Thank you! We hope you enjoy it <3
I just played it! It was amazing! I loved all three of the main characters and how well the story explained their motivations! (I gave a more detailed review in itchio) but I just really want to say that I really liked it. I hope to see more Vns by you guys!

Hanuli
Regular

#8 Post by Hanuli »

skyeworks wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 pm
I just played it! It was amazing! I loved all three of the main characters and how well the story explained their motivations! (I gave a more detailed review in itchio) but I just really want to say that I really liked it. I hope to see more Vns by you guys!
Thank you! I will relay the info and review to the writer :) (I'm the artist/scripting person)

Also we are already planning for our next work :) It might take awhile though as our writer is about to finish his bachelor's this fall!

skyeworks
Regular

#9 Post by skyeworks »

Hanuli wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:44 am
skyeworks wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 pm
A

Thank you! I will relay the info and review to the writer :) (I'm the artist/scripting person)

Also we are already planning for our next work :) It might take awhile though as our writer is about to finish his bachelor's this fall!
OMG! YOU DID THE ART?! I want to tell you did a fantastic job on Mammon and the other characters expressions, IT WAS SO GOOD. I really love how well they protrayed the actual feelings. And it pretty much the reason I kinda picked up the game (I really liked it so I picked it up)

and that's good! I"ll eagerly await your next vn!

Hanuli
Regular

#10 Post by Hanuli »

skyeworks wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:13 pm
OMG! YOU DID THE ART?! I want to tell you did a fantastic job on Mammon and the other characters expressions, IT WAS SO GOOD. I really love how well they protrayed the actual feelings. And it pretty much the reason I kinda picked up the game (I really liked it so I picked it up)

and that's good! I"ll eagerly await your next vn!
I am very flattered! :) And thank you again!