Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Jake
Support Hero

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#1411 Post by Jake »

azureXtwilight wrote:How much is a drawing tablet anyways?
It depends too much on where you live, what kind of tablet you want to buy and where you buy it from to give a meaningful answer.

Generally speaking, "more than a mouse, less than a laptop".
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#1412 Post by DaFool »

I am amazed at Cybeat's skills nowadays. Did you use some prerendered textures and filters?

Jake
Support Hero

#1413 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote:Did you use some prerendered textures and filters?
Given the texture has a mirrored seam running vertically just beyond the doorway the answer seems certainly 'yes' for some meaning of the phrase. ;-)

I must admit, though, I'm curious as to which parts he did and which parts he didn't do himself, if any; the picture in question is a kind of odd blend of different levels of skill and different rendering styles.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#1414 Post by Cybeat »

@lordcloudx: I certainly didn't. I really wish I did, though.

@DaFool: Yes. I'd die if I did it by myself. I didn't do the textures, though.

@Jake: You must be wondering about the tool-shed picture. The textures are not mine at all. With only 5 months of CGing, it's impossible for me to do that. You can see what was added, though.
Last edited by Cybeat on Tue May 20, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#1415 Post by PyTom »

Cybeat, I think everyone would like you to explain what parts of the toolshed picture you made yourself, and what parts were drawn by other people. The finished picture has little to do with the sketch you provided, except that most of the elements in the sketch did wind up in the other picture.

It's important to give credit where credit is due. It's perfectly acceptable to have another artist redraw your art to improve it (for example, mugenjohncel has been redrawing moonlight walks). It's another thing to take all the credit for the finished work, when parts of it weren't yours.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#1416 Post by Cybeat »

Okay, I should've said it earlier. The reason the tool_shed picture is different from the way I sketched it is because I after I made it, I sent it to Skythnir (I think everyone here knows him now). I guess he couldn't make it like the sketch I drew, so he did it his way. From what I see, he probably added in the tools, since it looks a bit different from everything else.

Sorry for the confusion. I just added the picture and didn't really expect a lot of questions, because I thought everyone would assume that an artist with only 5 months of practice can't get a picture like that done by himself, so he must've got help. I hope nobody is going to come to my house and kill me or anything.
Mujinchitai
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

Spiralbunny
Regular

#1417 Post by Spiralbunny »

Cybeat wrote:I hope nobody is going to come to my house and kill me or anything.
Of course we're all coming to your house to kill you. 8) *picks up sword and starts walking in your general direction* :twisted:

...But really, in the future, remember to be more clear about what parts you've done and which ones you haven't in a piece of art. It's Serious Business. *3*b

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#1418 Post by Samu-kun »

Mmm... So lemme guess, the only thing you made was the original sketch and everything else was done by Skythnir? And I suppose the same thing goes for the beach background and all the character portraits you've drawn. XD I'm atleast guessing that the colouring and the shading for the character portriats were done by somebody else. There's almost no way you can just completely change your style in a matter of months. And I found the fact that you never explicitly stated that you made any of the pictures you've been posting for the past month or so pretty suspicious. You sneaky you. >:3

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#1419 Post by Cybeat »

I guess you can say that (not really correct, though). You're wrong about the past month thing, though. The first few characters I showed from Mujinchitai, I alway said "my partner helped me", and "I wouldn't have this picture if it wasn't for my partner". After that, with the rest of the pictures I posted, I assumed everybody knew it was with the help of Skythnir. I guess I should stop assuming and start posting arts like everybody here is new. If you don't believe me, I have evidence. Let me find it anyway.

Look:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... start=1155
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... start=1035
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... &start=960

I credited Skythnir on all of them, see? I'm not a thief! Everybody, I'm not a thief! I hope you guys now see why I didn't mention it for these BGs.

This is what my art looks like:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... start=1050
Mujinchitai

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#1420 Post by papillon »

Well... I thought this thread was more for showing /your own/ art... cool things that you're having made for your game more go in your game's thread, cool art you've done that's not for an announced project so it couldn't go into any game thread goes here?

like, um... (oops, better find some art to show so this isn't too off-topic)

http://hanakogames.deviantart.com/art/L ... g-84271519

something I did a while ago that's not for any game project, so it has nowhere else to go. :) most of the time if I draw something it's for a project.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#1421 Post by Samu-kun »

Well, I personally don't really care. It wasn't me who drew the art. XD I've been assuming that all the pictures that you've been posting here weren't made by you, so I'm not really surprised or anything. I think if there's a problem, issues like this should just be resolved internally through your team if anything else.

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#1422 Post by Cybeat »

Well, you're right. From now on, all my game arts won't be posted here. I guess I won't be coming here to post arts for a while. I shouldn't post arts here often anyway, because I don't want anyone to think of me as a show off or some cocky guy. Sorry for the screw up, everybody.
Mujinchitai

Spiralbunny
Regular

#1423 Post by Spiralbunny »

Cybeat wrote:I guess I won't be coming here to post arts for a while. I shouldn't post arts here often anyway, because I don't want anyone to think of me as a show off or some cocky guy. Sorry for the screw up, everybody.
It's not like anyone said it's a problem that you post often, right? *3*; Or that you shouldn't do it for a while. If you post pics that you made yourself (or also collaborations of you and others, but always with proper credit) then nobody thinks it's a problem, right?

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#1424 Post by Cybeat »

Nobody said it. I'm assuming (like always). It's just that I thought many people knew I wasn't getting my art done by myself (since I said it over and over before), but that's over now. I'll just focus on getting my script done, since I still have a hellish amount of work to get done.
Mujinchitai

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#1425 Post by F.I.A »

Cybeat wrote:Nobody said it. I'm assuming (like always). It's just that I thought many people knew I wasn't getting my art done by myself (since I said it over and over before), but that's over now. I'll just focus on getting my script done, since I still have a hellish amount of work to get done.
The problem might be because your post is rather too short to give any detail. Last I recalled, you wanted comments on arts in this thread for improvements, which means that they are your own works. Few artists will ask for feedbacks for works done by others.

My advice is to give more detail every time you post. Spend more time on each post to make sure the message gets through. And don't let repetitiveness clouds your judgement. Give credits where it belongs.

------
monele wrote:I still don't get it ^^;... Is the storyteller a demon? Is the storyteller the girl herself? Is it something else? ^^;
I consider the storyteller himself an enigmatic figure who is only there to get a message across. To understand his message, reread the story, and remember to take a rest after every pause.

-----

And to end this post, a 2 hours aimless doodle. Nonsensical? Maybe...
Attachments
Burning Moe
Burning Moe
Last edited by F.I.A on Thu May 22, 2008 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)