What are the meaning of your names!? (CHR iN UR GAMES, TOO)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
honoreixix
Regular

Re: What are the meaning of your names!? (CHR iN UR GAMES, TOO)

#31 Post by honoreixix »

planned game: Jyuukyuu Tatari
protagonists: Learza Zrael...just a palindrome from AZRAEL

that's all for now...
I'm hidden and no one expects much of me... I just hope I don't disappoint anyone...
I'd rather fail doing something I love than succeed doing something I hate...

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#32 Post by Samu-kun »

sake-bento wrote:Character names too?

You guys are all gonna laugh at me. XD

So for Ripples, Kuu is a shortened version of "cookie" because she bakes. And Koda is a shortened version of "Kodak" because he's a photographer. O_<

For Forget me Not, the lead is named Ever because I was listening to the song "Ever the Same" when I needed a name for him. Although it's never mentioned in the game, the girl's name is Fleur, because she looks like a flower.

I won't say where the names from my in progress game are from because that would be mildly spoilerish. >_>
Hahaha. XD I never realized that! XD

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#33 Post by Cybeat »

Oh. The meaning of the characters in my game are all in my thread. I'll name a few:

Ai: Love

Akane: Brilliant Red

Akihiko: Prince (hence, his background story.)
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

risingbamboobanana
Regular
Projects: On hold, sharpening skills.

#34 Post by risingbamboobanana »

oh, haha i thought this was for our IRL names. "Rising Bamboo" is a literal translation of a Cantonese expression, "Juhk-sing", which describes the overseas "twinkie" kids like me. the "banana" i tacked on in the end is kinda redundant, but i just felt like it.

ingame...they're all pretty self-explanatory. i won't give away the more spoilerish ones though. i wonder if i should change to the Cantonese pronounciations, since i'm actually not a native Mandarin speaker myself. i'm more familiar with the Pinyin romanization system than any other though.

Zhinü (織女) - weaver-girl
Niulang (牛郎) - cow herder
Xue'r (雪兒) - snow child
Chunyun (春雲) - spring cloud
Xiali (夏麗) - summer beauty
A little birdy in the sky
Dropped a poopie in my eye
I did not scream, I did not cry
But thanked the Lord that cows don't fly!

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#35 Post by rocket »

Rocket is shorter than my blog name "Adorable Rockets"
a·dor·a·ble (ə-dôr’ə-bəl, ə-dōr’-) adj.

1. Delightful, lovable, and charming.
2. Worthy of adoration.

1. Easy to love: lovable, sweet.

1. Lovable especially in a childlike or naive way
Synonyms: endearing, lovely

Delightful. Endearing. Sweet. Especially in a childlike or naive way.

In my opinion adorable is the English word that most closely approximates the concept of moé. Granted moé is itself tenuously understood and hotly contested. Yet consider adorable. In the sense of eliciting attraction it can be used in as non-sexual, sexual with mild transgressive overtones, and of course both simultaneously. In the sense of eliciting admiration, it stretches from the casually appealing to obsessive idealization. Most of all, adorable is perfectly appropriate for describing the source of a SQUEEE! reaction, not at all unrelated to the simultaneously budding and burning emotional rush of moé. In the face of controversy as to the degree of sexual or childlike or specifically feminine aspects to which moé may or may not stretch, I contend that adorable coincides very closely with the experience of moé both personal and observed. Further I contend that far from being a recent development in the visual culture, it has roots and tangible expression in the earliest examples of the genre, albeit not in the specific highly stylized and mannered forms that we primarily identify moé with today.

Rockets on the other hand are the most tangible, visceral and evocative of all mecha. Further they embody all that is violent, warlike and apocalyptic, while simultaneously being a symbol for the highest achievements of technology, and the adventurous exploratory human spirit. This does not even begin to delve into the simple pleasures of speed, or the fact that sometimes a cigar is much more than a cigar.

Therefore, the unlikely yet natural combination of adorable with rockets is in effect a precis, summation, and shorthand for the entirety of that visual culture which I am so enamored of.
In other words: Moé+Mecha

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#36 Post by Cybeat »

That rocket on your avatar DOES look adorable.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#37 Post by rioka »

eclipse used to be part of the name for my first domain - eclipseunleashed
After awhile, I let that domain go and got mangatutorials.com instead =)

Some neat facts about GSK names:
Corus - named after a city in Tamora Pierce's Tortall series of books (Song of the Lioness, Legend of Beka Cooper, Immortals, Protector of the Small and Aliane).

Varghese - this last name is one of my old friend's in Elementary school. I was very competitive with her from sports to grades. Guess that kinda showed in Randel, huh? =D Unfortunately, we went to different jr and sr high schools but I see her once in awhile at church. =)

Miss B(otsford) - named after my Elementary school music teacher. She was very popular. Petite, blonde, slightly curly hair but short and she's usually smiling. It was a sad day when she got married and moved somewhere in upstate New York. And yes, like the fictional character, she had a loyal following of admirers - myself included. XD

Lawless - an real last named based on a classmate I've had since Elementary all the way to high school. And I can say, she's quite like Nadine! n_n

Art Turner - the name of the former Anime Web Ring moderator. It had a catchy ring to it so I never forgot it. Now he's got followers - at least fictionally! :P There's some folks here whose names have a catchy ring to it too. I wouldn't mind using them but then, it'd be kinda weird huh? ;D

Ermmm... as for future characters, I'll 'splain them after the release. :3

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#38 Post by Alessio »

Ummm... yeah... Alessio is like... my real name?
Current projects: Visual Novel "Cyberlin"

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#39 Post by rocket »

Starlight Character names are much less carefully considered...

The main crew's names are all colors, this is both inspired by the countless anime series that use a silly theme to come up with English main character names (such as fruit, or desserts, etc.) and because the original Star Trek essentially color coded their main characters (ostensibly as pat of their futuristic uniform design, but I always think it helped make the show easier to follow and get into).

Jade's character is genki but vacillates from lacking confidence to lacking caution. Obviously her color should be green (and that echos our favorite captain's best uniform) Red hair looks best with a green uniform, so I wanted an appropriate last name. O'Brien had the benefit of being a minor Trek character.

Rose was the obvious color for the emotional, romantic and very girly Science Chief. Murakami comes from both the author and the pop artist. I wanted a Japanese name because, hey it's a VN! Not to mention I have to keep up the tradition of racial integration...

Violet sounds like violent. Not to mention that purple is traditionally the color of passion, and of royalty - appropriate for a mercurial spoiled princess. Winkler came from my grandmother, on whom both the personality and the appearance are based.

Alex Hayden got her first name because I wanted a good androgynous name and even though she joins the crew of the ship I didn't want a color name to foreshaow her important difference. Actually, I've forgotten where her last name came from. (^_^);;

The rest of the crew has names that are variations of the color white simply because as secondary characters they are less colorful...

renkenjutsu
Regular

#40 Post by renkenjutsu »

As for me, I have no idea why I named my game characters the way they are now o.o It's purely random Japanese names clashed together. Seriously.
Currently working on:
Kensai : On hold till Masters is done. Grrrrr...

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#41 Post by chronoluminaire »

Hee. For characters... Well. One technique I have is that when I'm planning a story, I'll use a placeholder name or letter, which is short for some defining characteristic of the character's personality. Then I'll end up thinking of the character by that letter, and so I'll make up a name beginning with that letter :) So in Ultimate Dream, Michael was originally just "M" for "Main Male"; Ben was "B" for "Boy next door" (yeah, he changed a bit); and Kraus may have started as "K" for "Kooky". The names of the new characters in Elven Relations 2 have similar derivations, but in at least one case they're spoily, so I won't tell them here :)

What about the characters from Elven Relations and When I Rule The World?
Selena's name just came to me, fully formed, in the sentence that inspired the game and is still the game's tagline and first sentence: "My name is Selena, and I have been chosen to be the future ruler of the world." I vascillated between "Serena" and "Selena" for a bit, but nothing other than that.

Takuya, Kei and Yurika were all existing Japanese names that I planned for my original planned dating sim, Beautiful Days. That's still not gone anywhere, but I stole the characters for Elven Relations, complete with their history, personalities and names (despite the fact that the Japanese names don't really make sense in the fantasy world :/ ). Tohko was similar, except that her name isn't actually a Japanese name that I've heard. It went through three romanizations, all trying to represent accurately the katakana "long TO then short KO": first "Tooko", then "Touko", and finally "Tohko", since I feared the first two would be mispronounced by those who don't know Japanese syllabaries. Takeshi from When I Rule The World is similar.

Asilana Mellaniri En'Lathura Selurian, and Eletis, were names I just made up out of random syllables to sound Elven :) And Masathor and Mikenka were similarly just made up strings of syllables to sound like kings, one good and one bad.

I'm trying in Elven Relations 2 to keep names consistent within races. So the new elven character's name should have a similar elven feel to Asilana's; while the different mer should have names that all have a consistent feeling about them, while being different enough to tell apart. And also in a lot of cases, while starting with a useful placeholder letter that has meaning only to me :D
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Criptych
Regular
Projects: ALICE.NET

#42 Post by Criptych »

It's a bastardization of two Greek words: "kryptos" (something hidden, hence "cryptic") and "triptych" (a three-fold panel). I picked it because I like Greek-- and linguistics and languages in general-- and because... well, it just sounds cool.

I haven't created any games yet, but while playing with Ren's doll in ALICE, I named some of the characters I came up with, such as Arachne, the strong-willed tomboy; Athena, the no-nonsense businesswoman; and Aphrodite, the naïve peacemaker. (You might recognize the archetypes. ;)) And of course they're all named after characters in Greek legend.
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. —Pablo Picasso

Mirena (lazy mode)

#43 Post by Mirena (lazy mode) »

My username is a random name I whipped up for a character in an online game I used to play. Then I brought it over to the next online game, joined a guild and used it for the guild forum. And since then I used it on other forums too.

As for my characters a name sometimes pops into my head while I draw and then it's decided. If that doesn't happen I do an internet search for name sites and go by meanings. Though sometimes I change names to sound better or from male form to female.. or I use the original word and make a new name with it.

So basically I go by sound and/or meaning.

storm-and-fire
Regular

#44 Post by storm-and-fire »

Well... My sister and I wanted to share an account and were looking for a name that showed it. And well, A Song of Storm and Fire by Yuki Kajiura is one of our all-time favourite songs, so we made the connection quickly.

Doomfest
Regular
Completed: Memo, Juniper's Knot
Projects: Cradle Song, Dysfunctional Systems
Organization: dischan, Medical Whiskey

#45 Post by Doomfest »

Destruction, end of earth, apocalypse, a bad event, cataclysm, etc. And then a festival. How nice. :)
Dysfunctional Systems
Juniper's Knot
Cradle Song, a visual novel in development
Memo, a visual novel

[02:49] <Komi> How is Dysfunctional Systems coming along?
[02:52] <Doomfest> have you seen prince of egypt
[02:53] <Doomfest> do you remember that scene with the storm of bugs
[02:54] <Komi> I know what you are talking about, but I can't remember the scene.
[02:54] <Doomfest> that is what it feels like
[02:55] <Komi> Personality conflicts on the team, I take it?
[02:56] <Doomfest> no
[02:56] <Doomfest> just bugs
[02:56] <Doomfest> storm of bugs