Selidor’s Sketchbook

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Selidor
Regular
Tumblr: gateofselidor

Selidor’s Sketchbook

#1 Post by Selidor »

I thought I’d start a thread to post WIP and sketches, and other pieces not suitable for my game or portfolio threads. Feel free to offer critique or other feedback.

You can also follow my work on Twitter, Tumblr, and my portfolio site is over here.

To start things off, here are a few fashion ideas for a design I’m working on for practice.
She will eventually be a freebie for my Creative Commons asset thread, but I haven’t come up with a final design for her outfit and hair yet. Input is welcomed.
Attachments
E2A66761-12AD-48AF-9353-6F889FC99BDA.jpeg

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Selidor’s Sketchbook

#2 Post by Zelan »

Oh wow, all 3 of those are super cute! I love the outfit for the one in the middle, especially the hoodie!

Selidor
Regular

#3 Post by Selidor »

Zelan wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:20 pm Oh wow, all 3 of those are super cute! I love the outfit for the one in the middle, especially the hoodie!
Thanks, I had fun working on them! The middle one is my favourite of the three as well.

Cyanade

#4 Post by Cyanade »

The middle one is the cutest! The right gives off the quirkiest personality and the left the most avant garde. Overall I like the middle one the most too, but it was a close tie with the right one. I wonder if seeing them individually would have affected my opinion though, because when I’m looking at something without an immediate focal point I automatically focus on the center first.

Selidor
Regular

#5 Post by Selidor »

Cyanade wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:10 pm The middle one is the cutest! The right gives off the quirkiest personality and the left the most avant garde. Overall I like the middle one the most too, but it was a close tie with the right one. I wonder if seeing them individually would have affected my opinion though, because when I’m looking at something without an immediate focal point I automatically focus on the center first.
That’s a good point about the positions! I’ll take that into account next time I’m trying out different ideas. The one on the right was a bit of an experiment. I usually like to keep my colour schemes tidy and simple, but for that one I tried something more eccentric.

Cyanade

#6 Post by Cyanade »

I think it’s a great result for an experiment, the colors harmonize really well!

Selidor
Regular

#7 Post by Selidor »

Here’s a further developed, cleaner version of the design. Still some work left to go, but she’s getting there.
8AD67DFC-1656-4FFC-9ED6-8332B09C7889.jpeg
And here’s a rough sketch of a background I’m working on.
2C02504F-6230-4943-9EBE-CD9E323984DE.jpeg

Selidor
Regular

#8 Post by Selidor »

Here’s the finished street background, which is available to downloads in my Creative Commons thread:
FB5D7DC6-1F0D-4321-A44B-FA1FEC72AFF3.jpeg
I’m currently working on a beach background, in a more conventional anime/visual novel shading style, which will also be made available for download when I’m done.
059E7FE6-1782-4B48-BF83-BA4321A3493D.jpeg

Selidor
Regular

#9 Post by Selidor »

Here’s a shaded, cleaned-up version of the girl I posted previously. The next step will be other expressions, and maybe another pose.
6C3AC561-182D-4F59-905F-34BA258F854A.jpeg

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#10 Post by Zelan »

What a cutie!! I love her hair, it looks really cool now that you've moved it along from the sketch phase.

Selidor
Regular

#11 Post by Selidor »

Working on a trio of male sprites inspired by idol franchises. Here’s a WIP of the first one.
21676F68-AA8A-41D3-B602-CCB7BF580E73.jpeg

FishyFeathers
Completed: Insidious
Projects: The Witch of Pondgulch

#12 Post by FishyFeathers »

So I know this is late, but I really like your backgrounds! Personally I'm constantly frustrated by any backgrounds I try to make, it always feels as if they're either too detailed or not detailed enough. Your street background feel just right. Can I ask what brush you used to do the plants? It's got a lovely feel to it.

One thing I would say about the blue-haired guys is that his jawline looks a little off. The shape of his head and his neck make me think that his head is tilted a bit up and away from the viewer, but his jawline is as strong as if he were looking straight ahead. Does that make sense? It's a tricky angle to get and I haven't totally figured it out yet myself, but I think the sprite might benefit from a more subtle line at his jaw.

Selidor
Regular

#13 Post by Selidor »

FishyFeathers wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:54 pm So I know this is late, but I really like your backgrounds! Personally I'm constantly frustrated by any backgrounds I try to make, it always feels as if they're either too detailed or not detailed enough. Your street background feel just right. Can I ask what brush you used to do the plants? It's got a lovely feel to it.

One thing I would say about the blue-haired guys is that his jawline looks a little off. The shape of his head and his neck make me think that his head is tilted a bit up and away from the viewer, but his jawline is as strong as if he were looking straight ahead. Does that make sense? It's a tricky angle to get and I haven't totally figured it out yet myself, but I think the sprite might benefit from a more subtle line at his jaw.
Thanks! I really like painting backgrounds. The street background was done in Procreate, and the plants were done with a default brush called 'Rad' that uses sharp, jagged shapes.

The jaw area on the sprite is definitely a little off. I've already softened it a little since posting the image, but I'll double check with some reference too.