Multilayered Animated Images/Real Time Animated PVs - Help?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Stelluna
Deviantart: stelluna7

Multilayered Animated Images/Real Time Animated PVs - Help?

#1 Post by Stelluna »

So I'm making a rhythm minigame and I wanted to have real time animated PVs with music playing over them. I wanted to have a separate .rpy file for the PVs, and a PV would be shown depending on what song is playing. Here's a little bit of concept:

Code: Select all

label rhythm_game_start:
    if song == "000":
        play "000.ogg"
        show image pv_000
    if song == "001":
        play "001.ogg"
        show image pv_001
        ## ect, ect...
And for the defined PV:

Code: Select all

image hachune:
    "images/pv/000/image1.png"
    pause .2
    "images/pv/000/image2.png"
    pause .2
    repeat
image pv_000:
    "image"
    "bg.png"
I then realized this attempt wouldn't work because it could only show 1 image at a time, or at least I could only get it to show one image at a time. I tried to do a layered image, but the page was really old and I couldn't get it to work, either. Anyone have any ideas?

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Multilayered Animated Images/Real Time Animated PVs - Help?

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

Stelluna wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:52 pm
So I'm making a rhythm minigame and I wanted to have real time animated PVs with music playing over them.
----
Anyone have any ideas?
I'm not sure I have correctly understood you, but it sounds to me like that you want to do is to play music and have a character move to the music. If so, the simplest way to do that would in my mind be to play a video.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/movie.html

Stelluna
Deviantart: stelluna7

#3 Post by Stelluna »

Per K Grok wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:23 am
I'm not sure I have correctly understood you, but it sounds to me like that you want to do is to play music and have a character move to the music. If so, the simplest way to do that would in my mind be to play a video.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/movie.html
Well, that would be simple, but I don't have any video editing software that is actually good (I have windows movie maker). I just want multiple images shown on screen at the same time, but defined as the same image. That sounds kind of confusing... sorry x(

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

#4 Post by Per K Grok »

Stelluna wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:07 am
---

Well, that would be simple, but I don't have any video editing software that is actually good (I have windows movie maker). I just want multiple images shown on screen at the same time, but defined as the same image. That sounds kind of confusing... sorry x(
I could point your way to a couple of good and free video editing and animation programs if you would consider going that way.

What I think that you do want to do is something like a video; that is a number of frames that are shown one after the other. (and at the same time play music)

But you also want to, in the game, build each frame from a number of different images. You do not want to pre-build each frame and include them as images in your build.

Is that correctly understanding what you want to do?

What is a 'PV'?? My first reference is an old model of a Volvo car, but I don't think that is it. :)