[solved] textbox not showing up?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
chungy
Regular

[solved] textbox not showing up?

#1 Post by chungy »

Heyo, I've asked this a few times in the descord server but most people don't know how to fix this! The normal textbox is showing up, however my narrator textbox isnt. Heres my code for the textbox;

Code: Select all

define n = Character("",  window_background="gui/textboxnb.png",  ctc="ctc_anchored", ctc_position="fixed",)
tried removing the ctc code to see if that's the issure (it's not), tried moving the textbox to images or just the game folder (didn't work), also tried adding a name to see i if that did anything and it didnt :/

theres no error btw! the image just isn't showing up so i'm not even sure where to look!

maybe the code is a little out of date? Hope someone can help, thank you!
Last edited by chungy on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://gutrotz.itch.io/
Check out my itch.io!

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=52002&p=496592#p496592
Sprite commissions closed!

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: textbox not showing up?

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

chungy wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:15 pm Heyo, I've asked this a few times in the descord server but most people don't know how to fix this! The normal textbox is showing up, however my narrator textbox isnt. Heres my code for the textbox;

define n = Character("",  window_background="gui/textboxnb.png",  ctc="ctc_anchored", ctc_position="fixed",)
tried removing the ctc code to see if that's the issure (it's not), tried moving the textbox to images or just the game folder (didn't work), also tried adding a name to see i if that did anything and it didnt :/

theres no error btw! the image just isn't showing up so i'm not even sure where to look!

I have tried to run your code and it worked without any problem for me.

You do have an extra unnecessary ',' after ctc_position="fixed", but the code runs with or without it.

I don't think your problem is due to this line of code.

Does the dialogue text show up? Is it only that the background image don't show up? In that case I would suspect that the problem is with the image file as such.

chungy
Regular

Re: textbox not showing up?

#3 Post by chungy »

Per K Grok wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:01 am
chungy wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:15 pm Heyo, I've asked this a few times in the descord server but most people don't know how to fix this! The normal textbox is showing up, however my narrator textbox isnt. Heres my code for the textbox;

I have tried to run your code and it worked without any problem for me.

You do have an extra unnecessary ',' after ctc_position="fixed", but the code runs with or without it.

I don't think your problem is due to this line of code.

Does the dialogue text show up? Is it only that the background image don't show up? In that case I would suspect that the problem is with the image file as such.
It's just the textbox,the dialogue comes up fine (and if i added a name that also comes up fine.) I'll check my image again to see if it works, but it seems pretty fine on the surface tbh?

edit; yeah, image looks fine and moving it to different folders/changing the folder name does nothing :(

edit again: the cropping was super whacky, so i found out the issue! ty!
https://gutrotz.itch.io/
Check out my itch.io!

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=52002&p=496592#p496592
Sprite commissions closed!