I am beyond sorry but I can't figure out character images going back and forth

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Settle for Pocky
Regular

I am beyond sorry but I can't figure out character images going back and forth

#1 Post by Settle for Pocky »

- Do I have to do a

-----------------

hide os
show om

"hi"

hide om
show os

------------------

every single time? Seems like there's an easier way

I really in my whole life have never felt this stupid and please delete this post, but I've searched all over and for some reason can't find it.

So here's an example of what is happening to me (spacing

-----------------------------------------------------------
image os = "okimi_sad.png"
image om = "okimi_mad.png"

label start

show os

"This is me sad."

show om

"This is me mad."

show os

"This is me sad again."

--------------------------------------------------------

So every thing works fine at the start. The correct image pops up with the correct dialogue
and then the "mad" one works. Image changes and dialogue changes.

The last part is that it does not go back to sad image, but dialogue is correct.

Am I just beyond stupid on this? Am I not allowed to use the same image twice without adding some sort of code.

take care,
Pat

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: I am beyond sorry but I can't figure out character images going back and forth

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

Settle for Pocky wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:46 pm
---
-----------------------------------------------------------
image os = "okimi_sad.png"
image om = "okimi_mad.png"

label start

show os

"This is me sad."

show om

"This is me mad."

show os

"This is me sad again."

--------------------------------------------------------

So every thing works fine at the start. The correct image pops up with the correct dialogue
and then the "mad" one works. Image changes and dialogue changes.

The last part is that it does not go back to sad image, but dialogue is correct.

Am I just beyond stupid on this? Am I not allowed to use the same image twice without adding some sort of code.

take care,
Pat
This is what I think is happening.

First 'os' is shown

Then 'om' is shown, 'os' is not hidden, but 'om' is shown on top of 'os', so all looks fine

Then 'os' is shown again, 'om' is not hidden and 'os' is shown below 'om' [as the order has been established by the first two steps], so you cannot see 'os'. You can only see 'om'

I think that the program do not recognize 'os' and 'om' as instances of the same character. If you do 'o s' and 'o m' instead I think it might work.