[Solved] Vertical/Rotated text on a screen

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Cristiander
Regular

[Solved] Vertical/Rotated text on a screen

#1 Post by Cristiander »

Hello.
Simple question. How can you rotate text on a screen? I've searched online but I've only seen solutions for rotating images, solutions that didn't work for text.
I tried adding the text with a transform

Code: Select all

text "Test:
xalign 0.5
rotate 90
But this gives me an error, claiming that the rotate argument is not valid for text statements.

I tried adding the text to it's own separated frame or hbox or vbox, but again I get the error saying that the rotate argument doesn't work for frames/hboxes/vboxes.

I tried adding the Text as an image

image perst_text = Text(pers,xalign=0.5, rotate = 90)
But it didn't work (and i'm not sure if it could work)

I've been struggling with this problem for about an hour with little success.
I'm sure I'm just missing something simple, but I really can't find it.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you :)
Last edited by Cristiander on Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

TakeHomeTheCup

Re: Rotate the text of a screen

#2 Post by TakeHomeTheCup »

Try:

transform:
            rotate 25
            text "Hello world"

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#3 Post by xavimat »

There are style-properties, used in screens, and transform-properties, used in ATL.
"rotate" is not a style-property, is a transform-property. This can be confusing because "xpos" or "yalign", for example, are used in styles and in transforms, so one could assume that every property can be used in both, and that's not true.

In your case, you can create a transform and apply it to the text on the screen with "at".

transform myrotate:
    rotate 15

screen myscreen():
    text "Hello world!" at myrotate
Note that "rotate" is tricky, many times the rotated element falls outside the screen. You may need to set also rotate_pad, and other rotate-related properties in the transform.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Cristiander
Regular

#4 Post by Cristiander »

TakeHomeTheCup wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:06 pm Try:

transform:
            rotate 25
            text "Hello world"
I tried it and it worked, however if I changed the text it would have moved on the X axis. It never stood still.
The problem is that my text needs to change length (Sometimes I want it to show a short word, sometimes a long word) and because of this the length of the text transform was changing as well and so the text was never centered.

xavimat wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:44 am There are style-properties, used in screens, and transform-properties, used in ATL.
"rotate" is not a style-property, is a transform-property. This can be confusing because "xpos" or "yalign", for example, are used in styles and in transforms, so one could assume that every property can be used in both, and that's not true.

In your case, you can create a transform and apply it to the text on the screen with "at".

transform myrotate:
    rotate 15

screen myscreen():
    text "Hello world!" at myrotate
Note that "rotate" is tricky, many times the rotated element falls outside the screen. You may need to set also rotate_pad, and other rotate-related properties in the transform.
I didn't get to try your solution, since I was able to find something else, but thank you. If I need to place text at a 45 or 30 degree angle I'll give it a shot. :)

In the end I didn't need a custom angle for my text, I just needed it to be vertical, but because the vertical argument didn't rotate the letters I thought that the only way to create vertical text was by rotating it.
So for future reference, if anyone needs this:

$ var_array = "{horiz=True}" + array_for_text[array_id] + "{/horiz}"
            text var_array:
                xpos 0.5
                xanchor 0.5
                vertical True
The vertical style propriety can be added to text to render it vertically, and then you can add the text tag horiz to rotate the letters.
In my case however the text that I needed to be rotated was in an array, so I had to create an additional variable that added the horiz text tag and my array together.

And now it works ^_^